Player Discussion Marner talk - daily repetition version.

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I’m not here to single Mitch out, and please don’t read anything into my “ditch that Mitch” shirt I’m wearing, I just grabbed any OL shirt off the floor
Brad: Shanny, your shirt popped open.
1715362146132.jpeg

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You do rember how horrible they are in overtime, right?

They like to juggle and dick around, not play hockey.
They liked the All-Star game. They played a couple of games and I only seen Marner look to the heavens just the one time.
If they put up points, why worry about the scoreboard?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They liked the All-Star game. They played a couple of games and I only seen Marner look to the heavens just the one time.
If they put up points, why worry about the scoreboard?
Pasta was so right after Matty's team won the ASG final.

“It’s good for them (the Maple Leafs). They needed some wins. They got one.” – David Pastrnak

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Taking calls isn't the hard part.
Perhaps Paul and Bonnie Marner getting wind Leafs plan on offer Mitch a pay cut on his next deal, might get things moving on a sign and trade deal to where their boy will be more appreciated.

:sarcasm::sarcasm::cool:

Kidding aside his next contract will play a big part in this.. While Mitch holds a NMC that controls his future in 2024-25 season, after that point with an expiring contract, control does go back to Treliving and the Leafs.

If BT stated to Marner that the team would like to move on, and will not be offering him a new deal after this one ends resulting in Marner becoming a UFA in summer 2025, would that change the current situation where Marner might consider waiving his NMC to another team who is interested and willing to pay him more $$$ and longer term?

That is really the only leverage MLSE has to offset a NMC and potentially force change.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nikita Kucherov the best RW in the game is coming off a 144 point season including 100 assists and he makes $9.5 mil AAV.

Matthew Tkachuk who lead the Panthers to the Stanley Cup final last year just signed a sign and trade 8 years @ $9.5 mil (who also has had multiple 40+ goals > 100 point seasons)

Using those as contract leverage what would happen if the Leafs position is that those players are the ceiling for Marner's next deal, and both players outplaying Marner in the playoffs that his next deal with Toronto if there is one will be at that level or less.

Toss in that Nylander just got his new deal $11,500,000 AAV before major change was on the table.

Anyone seeing Marner taking a pay cut to stay, with his lack of playoff contribution hurting his own leverage going forward?
or
Would this likely get Marner interested in perhaps waiving his NMC to allow a trade to a team of his choice (if available), and potentially earn a significant lot more money elsewhere?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Karma is interesting...before Marner signed his current 6 year deal, the Leafs offered him a 7 year contract for USD$70 million...he turned it down and pressured Dubas into giving him 6 years at a higher AAV...had he signed a 7 year deal, Tavares' contract would have expired a year before his, and there would have been a bigger chance that he remain a Leaf long term if he wanted to since Tavares would have been a year removed from the books.

Reactions: Al14 and ToneDog

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I think Marner will be traded.

It would be the best thing they could do too. The sad thing is that just a few years ago I never would have suggested Marner over Nylander. It's incredible how much can change in such a short period of time.

This guy is Kessel 2.0.

Except without the ability to score a goal. He's got the exact same attitude though. His contempt towards media and fans is apparent to all.

In Marner's mind he's all that and a bag of chips.

He thinks because he's soooo good at hockey the whole world owes him something. Like we should all bow down before him as if we're not worthy. This guy and his ego needs a good dose of reality crammed down his throat.

Trading Marner would be the best thing this team could do if they really wanted to change the culture in the dressing room.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

It would be the best thing they could do too. The sad thing is that just a few years ago I never would have suggested Marner over Nylander. It's incredible how much can change in such a short period of time.

This guy is Kessel 2.0.

Except without the ability to score a goal. He's got the exact same attitude though. His contempt towards media and fans is apparent to all.

He thinks because he's soooo good at hockey the whole world owes him something. Like we should all bow down before him as if we're not worthy. This guy and his ego needs a good dose of reality crammed down his throat.

Trading Marner would be the best thing this team could do if they really wanted to change the culture in the dressing room.

Can we get a bag for chips for him? I'd be fine with that.

Reactions: AvroArrow

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

His trade value will be terrible if he plays next year as a Leaf.
The Media and Fans have turned on him.

He cannot take the heat.

more importantly, for him, he'll need to sign for less if he waits for September because he's going to underperform terribly playing for the Leafs in September.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

This guy is Kessel 2.0.

The media and fans are letting him have it now. Johnstone said he's been overpaid for 5 years, biz saying he is lazy and embarrassing, media now releasing how he and his team attack media members and blackball them. If nothing else, Marner is at the very least being humbled.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I'd be shocked if Mitch is happy here. He genuinely looks miserable. When we were down 3-0 against Florida last year he was more worried about the media and not the hockey game. I think the relationship is poisoned and he very much needs this as much for himself, as the leafs need a change. I very much hope this move is made at or before the draft

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
His trade value will be terrible if he plays next year as a Leaf.
The Media and Fans have turned on him.

He cannot take the heat.

more importantly, for him, he'll need to sign for less if he waits for September because he's going to underperform terribly playing for the Leafs in September.
If word gets out (which of course it will) that they had multiple trading partners but he refused to waive the nmc, there's no way he could stand the heat. Or he refuses to waive and they play hardball and tell him to stay home. I'll be shocked if they haven't done a sign & trade before game 1.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If word gets out (which of course it will) that they had multiple training partners but he refused to waive the nmc, there's no way he could stand the heat. Or he refuses to waive and they play hardball and tell him to stay home. I'll be shocked if they haven't done a sign & trade before game 1.
Management just needs to inform him they have 0 intention of re-signing him. Mitch only cares about money, he wants the extra year on his contract, he'll give some options.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Any trade for Marner needs to be a homerun. As bad as he has been In the playoffs, a skilled young winger who can put up 100 points don't grow on trees.

But a trade involving Marner can also bring in incredible depth and make the team a much more well-rounded team if played right

This is a huge off-season for the leafs. I think Treliving is gonna go to work

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
If word gets out (which of course it will) that they had multiple training partners but he refused to waive the nmc, there's no way he could stand the heat. Or he refuses to waive and they play hardball and tell him to stay home. I'll be shocked if they haven't done a sign & trade before game 1.
Bang on.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Agree 100%. I keep reading here how well Marner is liked in the dressing room as if statements made publicly to the media from his teammates mean anything and I can't help but wonder, how many of them are really thinking FML, I really hope Marner's traded soon, I'm so sick of answering questions about him to the media and having to pretending that I actually like the little wuss.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
So PLD gets a pretty good haul from LA but Marriner is worth squat? Marriner is worth quite a bit. He can be out of the spotlight in LA, maybe he helps revive PLD. I do Byfield and a pic or two. Worth a try. Carolina would go for him as they need scoring but they will never pay him. Dallas is an option and a few others. I don't think MM makes a lot of fuss here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad