Player Discussion Marner talk - daily repetition version.

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
He is a smarmy, selfish, punk coward. End of story.

That being said, he is only one of the problems. Brendan,The Wizard of Oz, chooses Pointdexter as the next GM, a nerd with no hockey experience other than playing EA Sports, and shows disrespect to one of the most tenured and successful GM's in NHL history, and run him out of town. They sign Taveras when they clearly did not need him. Kadri was a more than suitable second line centre. These moves steered the bus off the cliff.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011

Mitch Marner could be on his way out of Toronto, according to sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, as he expects a major shakeup among the "Core 4".​

From the moment the Toronto Maple Leafs were eliminated from the playoffs, Marner has been trending across social media. Mostly because of his effort on David Pastrnak's overtime winner, but also because many Leaf fans are hoping he is dealt this off-season.

Friedman made waves on Monday when he suggested that the Leafs could move Mitch Marner, despite the skilled winger owning a no-movement clause.​

On this morning's '32 Thoughts' podcast, Friedman began the show by commenting on all things Leafs. He revealed that MLSE is essentially "hellbent" on changing the roster construction of the Leafs.

Leafs expected to play hardball with Mitch Marner over NMC​

Thank God. We're about 3 years late

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
For one, Ovechkin came to play in the playoffs. For two, the problem isn't just Marner itself, it's the whole core but Marner's the only one we might be able to move on right now and it is 100% clear this core is done.
Anybody other than matthews and nylander as far as the core is concerned is the problem......no excuses for marner for years guys harped on him getting the tough matchups he wasn't on mattews line this playoffs so that excuse is out the window there's atleast 5 egregious plays he made in those 7 games he needs to go I'm gonna miss him but he disappears after game 4 and takes too much of the cap we let jt play out his last year and if he isn't signing for under 4 he can go too

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
what is wrong with letting him walk? I remember the Leafs let a lot of UFA walk before, they said "own rentals"

ya, don't remember who said this on Overdrive "Somehow, from the Leafs winning the cup changes to the core4 winning the cup blah blah blah ...."
Walk and do what exactly? You think they have a person in the system that can take his spot? You think ufas are dying to come to Toronto? What?

It’s in Marner’s best interest to waive if asked. To control (even if it’s 2 teams only) where he goes. Why would he stay. Maybe he gives you only one team and says ok, Ottawa. See you soon. Who knows.

That way, people can blame management, the fans and the media he got traded. He makes out as the good guy. No doubt the media would leak that he wouldn’t waive and if he then walks, he goes to villain. Much like Tavares is disliked on the Island. Why would he want that?

Then, if the Leafs win more games in the playoffs, nothing needs to be said. If they lose, then people can blame it on the Marner trade and he wins again.
Marner completely controls where he goes. He holds every card.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Walk and do what exactly? You think they have a person in the system that can take his spot? You think ufas are dying to come to Toronto? What?

He does, but I’m asking why would he not waive if asked? Why would he stay in an environment that is not going to re-sign him (or make the offer he wants)? Spend a year in a place where the media and fans know he wouldn’t waive to walk away the following year? Makes no sense.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I agree he should be traded not walked to free agency if he refuses to waive sit him in the press box it's a contract year he'll accept a trade
Lol. The Leafs wouldn't sign a free agent before the last coming if they did that.

He does, but I’m asking why would he not waive if asked? Why would he stay in an environment that is not going to re-sign him (or make the offer he wants)? Spend a year in a place where the media and fans know he wouldn’t waive to walk away the following year? Makes no sense.
Would you go to Ottawa or Winnipeg or Bufallo on a lateral transfer?

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
No.

We want to improve our team and that doesn’t preclude him doing well elsewhere
Agreed.

I care what happens to this team. All other teams I'm either mostly indifferent about or outright dislike.

I don't want Mitch's career to fall apart. I just want him the f*** off this team considering the contract he'll demand.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah I'm sure we're gonna have a heap of trouble replacing Mitch's 1 goal and 3 points in 7 games with $11M of extra cap space.

I've heard that trope for years, Ovi wasn't a "playoff" performer, neither was Yzerman until he wasn't

Marner has played some extremely good playoff games and I must admit I'm starting to enjoy how losing trades and talent now "just makes teams better", bull**** it does
Ovi? you gotta be f***ing kidding me. Marner isn't in the same stratosphere as prime Ovi in the playoffs, prime Ovi was going head to head and tit for tat with prime Crosby in a playoff series, and def wasn't the reason the caps didn't win all those years. Ovi played with an insane level of physicality too, basically the polar opposite of Mitch in every way.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Lol. The Leafs wouldn't sign a free agent before the last coming if they did that.

Would you go to Ottawa or Winnipeg or Bufallo on a lateral transfer?
Why would he go anywhere he doesn’t want or leave himself open to another trade or having to move again in a year UFA?
Pick it now.
The stipulation I would give is that my destination have an 8 year, 12.5 million contract with NMC in order to waive. Wouldn’t you do that?
Then you (or your agent) can tell the media they asked you to waive and you agreed.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've heard that trope for years, Ovi wasn't a "playoff" performer, neither was Yzerman until he wasn't

Marner has played some extremely good playoff games and I must admit I'm starting to enjoy how losing trades and talent now "just makes teams better", bull**** it does
Unlike Marner, Ovi and Yzerman were fantastic playoff performers from day 1.

You're right though, I shouldn't have said Marner "isn't" a playoff performer, I should have said "hasn't been". And if you really think he's going to turn it around and be someone you can count on in the playoffs from now on that's fine, I'd rather not take that gamble myself because at this point it seeme like a long shot.

Newsflash - there's no such thing as "his spot".

Marner control where he goes and that's fine, as long as he goes.

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
That’s the full context. He’s just bad at speaking, we all know what he meant but that’s something you say to the boys. Not media avail because it comes across as you care more about the status than actually winning.
That's because you read what you want to hear. Comes across to me as he loves it in Toronto and doesn't want to move. That he feels privileged to play in such a market.

Reactions: ACC1224

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not sure of this was brought up but Friedman was on Kyper&Bourne last night (2nd hour). Friedman says Ferris usually gets his players to walk. It sounded like Mitch wants $100m or $12.5mx8. So tell me how he is going to get $100m on a 7 year deal if he walks?

If true the Marner camp is dilutional. Cut bait at all costs.

Kyper is now a Marner fanboy and asks why is $11m Tavares not getting the same heat as Mitch? Let's see, Tavares actually played hard. He had his moment on the OT winner by Knies. Had 13 combined hits in the last two games. Mitch avoided contact like the plague and was MEH and never had a "moment".

Bukala said it nicely. If you are a player making peanuts and you just battled and sacrificed your body for 7 games and you look at Mitch making 11 sheets, you are not going to be happy. I know I would not be impressed.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Not sure of this was brought up but Friedman was on Kyper&Bourne last night (2nd hour). Friedman says Ferris usually gets his players to walk. It sounded like Mitch wants $100m or $12.5mx8. So tell me how he is going to get $100m on a 7 year deal if he walks?

If true the Marner camp is dilutional. Cut bait at all costs.

Kyper is now a Marner fanboy and asks why is $11m Tavares not getting the same heat as Mitch? Let's see, Tavares actually played hard. He had his moment on the OT winner by Knies. Had 13 combined hits in the last two games. Mitch avoided contact like the plague and was MEH and never had a "moment".

Bukala said it nicely. If you are a player making peanuts and you just battled and sacrificed your body for 7 games and you look at Mitch making 11 sheets, you are not going to be happy. I know I would not be impressed.
He actually has a point. It's such bullshit that Tavares drastically underperforms with his 2 points in 7 games yet among this fanbase it's basically accepted by default that he's going to be garbage no matter what, so he gets let off the hook for criticism. He really does get the Team Canada royalty treatment.

Mitch's criticism comes from a place where we all know the level he can perform at, it's just that his game has no carry over to the playoffs.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I agree he should be traded not walked to free agency if he refuses to waive sit him in the press box it's a contract year he'll accept a trade
That's how you lure UFA's to come here.

You can certainly go to him and say you are not in our long term plans. Putting him the press box would be insane.

You would now get little in return for him, plaus you are making any potential UFA think twice about coming.

Leafs lost the battle when they gave him a NMC

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
He actually has a point. It's such bullshit that Tavares drastically underperforms with his 2 points in 7 games yet among this fanbase it's basically accepted by default that he's going to be garbage no matter what, so he gets let off the hook for criticism. He really does get the Team Canada royalty treatment.

Mitch's criticism comes from a place where we all know the level he can perform at, it's just that his game has no carry over to the playoffs.
Difference might also be that there is a realistic possibility that the team wants to re-sign Marner, which would be long term at a high cap hit, while Tavares has one year left and it's just assumed that he will either be gone after next season or re-signed at a much, much lower cap hit than he has now with less term. So Marner is more of the 'issue' that needs to be addressed. You can move probably Marner now but you can't really move Tavares, so IMO it's also just accepting the situation. Tavares did play much better than Marner, though.

If the Leafs do move Marner, I do believe it's one of those 'unwinnable' deals in the sense that you aren't getting back a player as good as him (on paper anyway), and Marner will probably move on and be amazing in the playoffs on his new team because that's how things work. I think it'd be more of a quantity for quality kinda trade, or we get a few prospects and picks and sit on them for a few years.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If he wants to remain here he could take the year to change the narrative.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

At this point fans has accepted what Tavares is but he puts in the effort and does not play scared. Most know that the last couple of years of a UFA are not going to be good and here we are. That contract cannot end soon enough.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You guys want to hear something funny?
Not only will Mitch not be traded, he will be extended.
That's not funny. It could easily happen, but it's not funny.

Tavares hasn't been let off the hook, I must have seen a hundred posts this season referring to him as a corpse. He's taken less criticism than Marner probably but that's because expectations are lower. He is a declining player which is to be expected at his age whereas Marner is in his prime and more is expected from him.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Tavares needs to go to but right now what’s the point. He has 1 more year and he’s out. Never making double digits again.

We have 2 forwards making double digits, that’s enough. We did the 3 already and the same 3. Time for change. Change 1 in trade and let the other walk.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad