Player Discussion Marner talk - daily repetition version.

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Here's the frustrating thing with how badly Dubas botched all these negotiations a few years ago...and how Treliving basicaly continued with Nylander and Matthews....

I'd expect that Mitch Marner's salary demands are probably $12m x 8. A little more than Nylander, recognizing that he's the same age as Nylander is when the contract kicks in, and the cap has increased.

Imaginary fast forward a year from now and he's an impending UFA... is there really another good team in the league that would pay him that?

Personally, I'm not so sure there is, which begs the question, if there isn't, why should Toronto pay it?
You can ask the same question for Nylander and there is your answer.

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Your obsession with Zach Hyman is...admirable.
I LOVE Zach Hyman and am pissed as anyone that they let him go to keep these creampuffs, but does anyone here really think that he'd be a 50 goal scorer in Toronto? Lmao, all the dude does is park himself in the crease with his stick on the ice and allow McDavid (and sometimes Drai) to literally shoot the puck off of his blade and into the net.

We do not have anyone on our team with that level of passing precision (not even Mitch). Zach would be a 30 goal scorer in Toronto at best. Not that I still wouldn't love to have him, but there's only one team in the NHL where Zach would be a 50 goal scorer - Edmonton.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I see him staying, juicing up his regular season numbers one last year in Toronto and then cashing out elsewhere.
Take him off the PP and let him play with Tavares. No Matthews for you Mitch. Enjoy finding a team that will pay you $92m like the Leafs paid Willy.

Reactions: arso40

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Take him off the PP and let him play with Tavares. No Matthews for you Mitch. Enjoy finding a team that will pay you $92m like the Leafs paid Willy.

No coach is going to intentionally make the team worse just to spite a player.

If he doesn’t want to get traded this off-season then I hope he has a great year for the Leafs and then decides what’s best for his future is to cash in elsewhere.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I honestly don't believe MLSE has the stones to ask Mitch to waive. It's almost impossible to win that trade.

I see him staying, juicing up his regular season numbers one last year in Toronto and then cashing out elsewhere.
Mitch is gonna have a career year next year. The usual two months off to start the year? A thing of the past next year, the only thing that motivates this guy is cold, hard cash.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I honestly don't believe MLSE has the stones to ask Mitch to waive. It's almost impossible to win that trade.

Mitch is gonna have a career year next year. The usual two months off to start the year? A thing of the past next year, the only thing that motivates this guy is cold, hard cash.

You don’t need to win it.

If he walks for nothing, then “losing” a trade on value terms with another team is still a win for the Leafs comparatively.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm sure Marner will become a fan favorite to all nonleaf fan bases the second he leaves toronto.

Marner would look real good in a Utah Coyotes jersey, no real playoff pressure and he is worth the price of admission to sell regular season tickets in a new market.

Clayton Keller age 25 with 4 more years at 7.15 mil would save the Leafs a bunch of cap and get a top 6 winger in return.

1715043965751.png

The drop off in points limited, and on the Leafs playing alongside Matthews and Leafs PP his totals would increase.

2023-24 Season

1715044328547.png

2022-23 Season

1715044151004.png

Clayton 70 goals the past 2 seasons vs 56 goals for Marner.

They also have a done of draft picks to help Leafs rebuild their prospect pool ravaged by years of abuse by our Past GM.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The Leafs need to treat the entire 2024-25 regular season like it's the playoffs. That way maybe they'll be ready for the playoffs this time. Anyone playing non-playoff hockey gets demoted.

Reactions: TMLife17

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No coach is going to intentionally make the team worse just to spite a player.

If he doesn’t want to get traded this off-season then I hope he has a great year for the Leafs and then decides what’s best for his future is to cash in elsewhere.
We might be better w/o Mitch on PP1 and Mitch carrying JT.

Reactions: socko

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'd keep him

I'm not saying I'd give him 13M over a long term deal or anything like that but whatever percentage of the cap Nylander got on his 11.5M deal is what I'd offer Marner
With the cap rises its probably around 12M × 8 is my best guesstimate

I just don't think we can win a Marner trade and 100 point selke level forwards don't come around often
Stick the regular season stats where the sun don't shine. He's useless in the playoffs. USELESS.

Who cares about winning a trade? I want a team that can go deep in the playoffs and Marner isn't a playoff performer. 12M is way too much to pay for a regular season entertainer who disappears when the pressure gets cranked up. That is of course if you are chasing playoff success which I like to think we are. For a small market team that has no cup aspirations who just wants to sell tickets, Marner probably is worth 12 million and that's where I think he should play.
:thumbu: These guys that can't see the forest thru the trees in regards to the playoffs drive me nuts.

Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Who cares about winning a trade? I want a team that can go deep in the playoffs and Marner isn't a playoff performer. 12M is way too much to pay for a regular season entertainer who disappears when the pressure gets cranked up. That is of course if you are chasing playoff success which I like to think we are. For a small market team that has no cup aspirations who just wants to sell tickets, Marner probably is worth 12 million and that's where I think he should play.
We can’t keep doing the same thing and paying Marner 12-13 million with Matthews and Nylander already getting paid double digits is the same thing.

Plus this group hasn’t proved they can break through no matter what the salary.

We just don’t get enough transition and scoring from the back when it’s a tight game. We’ve improved the physical D but they aren’t much for the offence. Plus we need a better dump and chase, board battle and dependable goaltending.

Marner would be out. You can get good young players the system needs in the trade and then sign a Montour/Pesce and add a Marchessault to go with Matthews/Nylander/Domi/Knies and you’ve basically retooled the team right there. You’ve changed the dynamic with one move and signings without blowing it up.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He's not waiving for Utah.
They might be the only team in a position to overpay him badly and afford his next cap hit.

Marner has always been about the money in Toronto so why not follow the money to a market that could afford to overpay him and not impact/hurt their playoff chances.

Serious Cup competitive teams don't have +$12 mil in free cap space so most likely needs to be a smaller market or rebuilding team that could afford him.

Besides the Skiing in great.

1715045483671.png

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner would be out. You can get good young players the system needs in the trade and then sign a Montour/Pesce and add a Marchessault to go with Matthews/Nylander/Domi/Knies and you’ve basically retooled the team right there. You’ve changed the dynamic with one move and signings without blowing it up.
Yup, something like this. No need to blow it up, Marner out, some other pieces in that can play playoff hockey and we're a much tougher out, just like that.

Stick the regular season stats where the sun don't shine. He's useless in the playoffs. USELESS.

:thumbu: These guys that can't see the forest thru the trees in regards to the playoffs drive me nuts.
Yeah I really thought we'd maybe heard the last of the "can't win Marner trade" nonsense but ...

I hope this prediction is more accurate than your playoff predictions
:thumbu::thumbu:

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Huberdeau wasn’t resigned by Florida look how that turned out
Stamkos might not be signed by tampa

How is Marner the scapegoat?

He had 3 points in 7 games. He was completely healthy. Is 5-7 points too much to ask for?

We don’t really know what will or won’t happen, we aren’t treliving, shanahan, and MLSE. We can speculate based on what the situation looks like, and that situation looks like Marner being dealt or at least being asked to waive his NMC.
I don't even know where to begin.

Huberdeau was traded and did not have a NMC (only a modified NTC). Also, he did get re-signed at the end of that contract... by Treliving who have him a NMC. Stamkos is 34 years old (and may still stay in Tampa).

Do you read this forum?

He was very obviously still fighting the ankle injury (and never made an excuse about that). Also, two more points and he's absolved? 😂

No we don't, but that's the fun of the question. What do you think they will do, not what does your angry fanboy self want to happen.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
You can ask the same question for Nylander and there is your answer.
Correct, even Matthews they botched the negotiations.

The Leafs needed to be a lot more cut-throat with their stars, and they had an opportunity when they swapped GMs. Problem is, Shanny apparently gave them all the vote of confidence and undermined his new GMs ability to negotiate properly with these guys.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
They might be the only team in a position to overpay him badly and afford his next cap hit.

Marner has always been about the money in Toronto so why not follow the money to a market that could afford to overpay him and not impact/hurt their playoff chances.

Serious Cup competitive teams don't have +$12 mil in free cap space so most likely needs to be a smaller market or rebuilding team that could afford him.

Besides the Skiing in great.

View attachment 866152

But is the golfing great though? :sarcasm:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Huberdeau was traded and did not have a NMC (only a modified NTC). Also, he did get re-signed at the end of that contract... by Treliving who have him a NMC. Stamkos is 34 years old (and may still stay in Tampa).

Do you read this forum?

He was very obviously still fighting the ankle injury (and never made an excuse about that). Also, two more points and he's absolved? 😂

No we don't, but that's the fun of the question. What do you think they will do, not what does your angry fanboy self want to happen.

Two more points might have been all the Leafs needed to advance to the next round in a game 7 OT loss. Did you not see Marner being gifted the puck by Swayman in game 7, but instead of tucking it short side for the goal, he chose to make the long skate around the back to avoid a hit?

He would have been hailed had he scored there and the Leafs moved on.

Reactions: arso40

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Marner would look real good in a Utah Coyotes jersey, no real playoff pressure and he is worth the price of admission to sell regular season tickets in a new market.

Clayton Keller age 25 with 4 more years at 7.15 mil would save the Leafs a bunch of cap and get a top 6 winger in return.

View attachment 866137

The drop off in points limited, and on the Leafs playing alongside Matthews and Leafs PP his totals would increase.

2023-24 Season

View attachment 866141

2022-23 Season

View attachment 866140

Clayton 70 goals the past 2 seasons vs 56 goals for Marner.

They also have a done of draft picks to help Leafs rebuild their prospect pool ravaged by years of abuse by our Past GM.

Marner being willing to go to Utah would be an absolute home run for the Leafs... so many pieces that would fit so well into a Marner-less Leafs....

Lawson Crouse to play the left side with Matthews & Domi...
Clayton Keller to slot into Marner's old spot giving the Leafs a shooting and passing threat...
Nick Schmaltz to take over the 2nd line C duties from John Tavares...
Jack McBain or Barrett Hayton to do the same on a little longer timeframe...
Dylan Guenther to give the Leafs a longer term project on the right side..

A literal ####ton of picks to help replenish a draft pool that has been decimated by win-now trades over the last few years.

Reactions: Rhynne

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

Do you read this forum?

You probably don’t know where to begin because your too busy making up excuses

He wasn’t injured at all, he was playing p***y hockey because he’s scared

He could’ve made an excuse and we still wouldn’t buy it

It’s a real shame we drafted him

• Haha
Reactions: arso40 and ACC1224

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I'd keep him

I'm not saying I'd give him 13M over a long term deal or anything like that but whatever percentage of the cap Nylander got on his 11.5M deal is what I'd offer Marner
With the cap rises its probably around 12M × 8 is my best guesstimate

I just don't think we can win a Marner trade and 100 point selke level forwards don't come around often

He won't accept a cent less than 12.3M x 8 because that's his current cap percentage after the cap increase.

Friedman was saying he wants a minimum of 100M over 8 years (12.5M).

My guess is he will want 12.93M x 8 after negotiation and he would be laughed out the building if I was the GM.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Doug Gilmour and Wendal Clark must be crying in the corners
Did so much yet they were never top 5 paid players at any given time in this league

Yet Dougie took this team so far, his back even now must be hurting

What a prima donna. You got paid son, you got your money and term
Yet you have not delivered

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad