Player Discussion Marner talk - daily repetition version.

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think he will be asked what he really wants... behind closed doors. Treliving has to be honest with him too.

The Leafs best bet would be to move him to a team he wants to go to and will give him the money and term he is looking for. He could still be successful in the right place but it has to be a place where there is little media and some big time players ahead of him.. where he can be the cherry on top of well put together cake.
Seems like a very specific situation. I’d imagine that would be hard to put together

If he walks for nothing everyone involved should be fired.
He already was.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
He should sign in Utah. Let them give him 12*7years.

If he performs we can send 1st their way for Mitch at 90% retention and call it a day.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
If he walks for nothing everyone involved should be fired.
I think they all should be gone by now anyway. How everyone has managed to keep their jobs after all these years of the same thing over and over again is mind blowing.

Reactions: Sniper99

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
So he can just play it out and sign somewhere as as an UFA lol
Injury or have a bad season (will he play on the AM's line if DOmi stays?)
Also, UFA does not mean more $, look at Gaudreau. If I were him, it would be worth exploring the options.

• Haha
Reactions: rve24

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Feels like Marner and the Leafs are heading for a divorce. I don't like it. The mere hint that Friedman is even suggesting the Leafs may use that cap space to look at Seth Jones is beyond anything Friday the 13th can deliver.

Sucks get bounced each year, but sucks worse not even making the playoffs. At least we can fool ourselves from Oct - April.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Leafs need to play playoff like hockey a lot earlier in the year. marner’s game distracts us from that.

He needs to go.

Reactions: arso40

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Prior to the playoffs I would have said it's 100% that management extends him.

Now I'm about 60-40% thinking he will be moved. All of a sudden there's a lot of smoke in the media overnight, including the mention in the Athletic that he was prepared to be moved last offseason. I don't think that comes out of nowhere....

Its still obviously a risky move from management's pov, something that could easily blow up in their faces if he instantly excels with the new team

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I know the Tkachuk trade gets ripped on but if Tre got a first and a defenseman like Weegar for Marner, is that half decent? I think Huberdeau and his extension make that trade look much worse.
If tre was smart he’d dealt both at that deadline

Could’ve gotten 2 firsts + 2-3 good/great prospects

Even as a 60 point player, Huberdeau would be making like 6, so retained down to 3 someone would’ve paid a lot for him

Weegar is actually good, he’d have gotten offers

They needed to rebuild, not retool.

Reactions: arso40 and mogs

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The approach to Marner could be made fairly simple:

"As we have discovered as a team having all that cap tied up in a few players simply doesn't work. And by re-signing Willie we've made our call; He and Matthews are the ones we're going with."

Then suggest to him that if he's willing to waive his NMC they can talk to whatever teams interest him (and obviously they are interested back) so that he can lock himself into an 8-year extension with his new team this Summer.

If he balks, tell him he's free to play out his contract and take his chances next year, but the Leafs won't be in play for reasons stated above. It's up to Mitch if he wants to play this season out and risk going into next Summer without a deal (and as a year older he may not be in a better bargaining situation), or have a choice now vs. later on where he goes and get the the peace of mind that comes with an the extension that takes him well into his 30s.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
What I want to happen and what this Charmin franchise will do are two totally different things.

Fully expecting him to be re-signed to a ridiculous 12.5xwhatever deal with a full NMC.

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I said no and he will be re-signed. Just because this organization is a tire fire.
My thoughts exactly. One more decade of irrelevance coming up. Maybe we'll win another playoff round or two before Marner's next deal ends and we start the next rebuild.

The approach to Marner could be made fairly simple:

"As we have discovered as a team having all that cap tied up in a few players simply doesn't work. And by re-signing Willie we've made our call; He and Matthews are the ones we're going with."

Then suggest to him that if he's willing to waive his NMC they can talk to whatever teams interest him (and obviously they are interested back) so that he can lock himself into an 8-year extension with his new team this Summer.

If he balks, tell him he's free to play out his contract and take his chances next year, but the Leafs won't be in play for reasons stated above. It's up to Mitch if he wants to play this season out and risk going into next Summer without a deal (and as a year older he may not be in a better bargaining situation), or have a choice now vs. later on where he goes and get the the peace of mind that comes with an the extension that takes him well into his 30s.
This is exactly what we should to. Be polite, tell him it's not about him, it's just business and we're just being fair telling him what the situation is so he can make whatever decision is best for him.

Reactions: arso40 and thewave

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
He can't score when it matters. That's all there is to it. You know, maybe the Raptors never should've traded DeRozen. Such a good person, was always the driving force behind their offense, led the team in points most games. His best friend is Lowry, you can't disrupt that relationship. So what if he's anxious in the playoffs, don't be a hater, he's clearly good and maybe he'll start performing like he does in the season and it'll come together.

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Pretty interesting discussion with Friedman on this (starts around the 10 minute mark).

Kypreos seems to believe what I pointed out above: Let him choose where he wants to go, work out a deal and he gets his 8-year deal ($11.5M-12M/per) this Summer. He has all the incentive if he knows he's not getting that deal in Toronto.

Reactions: arso40 and bax

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its still obviously a risky move from management's pov, something that could easily blow up in their faces if he instantly excels with the new team

Zach Hyman has been a SUPER STAR since leaving the Leafs ... He has scored 21 playoff goals alone since the Leafs moved on, while making $5 mil.

Mitch Marner has during that same time period scored 6 total playoff goals while making $11 mil. In fact he has only scored 11 goals totals after all 8 playoff years.

Leafs Nation should be screaming your point from the mountain tops, lamenting the loss of Hyman (but only a small vocal minority do).

If that doesn't move the needle what will, and what are the Leafs really afraid of here?

1715035301458.png

vs

1715035333243.png

The narrative will remain that Marner is irreplaceable and unmovable, and some of that might be the fear of what happen if they do move on.

But using Zach as a example, the common response is BUT he didn't do it here, but then after all these years Marner hasn't done it either when it counted most.

Do I believe Marner will be re-signed by Toronto 100%. Do I believe the Leafs should move on from him 100%.

PS. Just using your post as an example to make my WHAT IF vs SO WHAT rebuttal. :cool:

Last edited:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Trading him would help us cap space wise and player wise, however I have zero faith in management I dont see him waiving in the offseason and I can see management re-signing him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He can't score when it matters. That's all there is to it. You know, maybe the Raptors never should've trade DeRozen. Such a good person, was always the driving force behind their offense, led the team in points most games. His best friend is Lowry, you can't disrupt that relationship. So what if he's anxious in the playoffs, don't be a hater, he's clearly good and maybe he'll start performing like he does in the season and it'll come together.
If I had a like button ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad