Player Discussion Marner talk - daily repetition version.

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I think he’ll be back and a new deal will depend on how next year goes. I can’t imagine him agreeing to a trade. He loves it here. I also can’t imagine anybody giving him 12-13 a year right now so he’s probably going to bet on himself next season.
I think he will be asked what he really wants... behind closed doors. Treliving has to be honest with him too.

The Leafs best bet would be to move him to a team he wants to go to and will give him the money and term he is looking for. He could still be successful in the right place but it has to be a place where there is little media and some big time players ahead of him.. where he can be the cherry on top of well put together cake.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
He tends to come across like he believes it at times. I mean narci much?
I didn’t like that comment either but really if they had any semblance of success in the post season he wouldn’t be wrong. I do think they need to make some changes and I’d prefer it be Tavares and convince Marner to take a sweetheart of a deal. But if somehow these guys manage to figure it out they’ll never have to buy a meal in the city again.

I think he will be asked what he really wants... behind closed doors. Treliving has to be honest with him too.

The Leafs best bet would be to move him to a team he wants to go to and will give him the money and term he is looking for. He could still be successful in the right place but it has to be a place where there is little media and some big time players ahead of him.. where he can be the cherry on top of well put together cake.
I’d personally prefer to keep him but at a much cheaper price tag so I’m sure I’m out of luck. This team got really screwed over a few years ago.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
would people be upset if he got a matching deal to Nylanders? 11.5?

I personally think change is so needed, I'm frustrated cause Marner is my favourite player but man. How do you run it back for a 9th attempt?
He doesn't deserve the same contract as nylander to be honest you could hear the difference between them in the exit scrum Willys going to train and get better marners gonna enjoy his summer their wired different

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I think he’ll be back and a new deal will depend on how next year goes. I can’t imagine him agreeing to a trade. He loves it here. I also can’t imagine anybody giving him 12-13 a year right now so he’s probably going to bet on himself next season.
If he walks for nothing everyone involved should be fired.

Reactions: bax

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Marner is most likely a career Leaf. I just don't see worthwhile packages being offered that makes it worth it. The league is currently in an awkward state , still recovering from covid induced economical state.

Yeah we have to keep him, no one else wants him . Good one

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I'm surprised at how much pushback there is to something that is objectively true.

Are most posters here not from the Toronto area?

Yeah, of course, he loves it there. We know nowhere else you are this big as a hockey player. I don't get the hate over his answer.

And I b*tch about him a lot.

Reactions: Tak7

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I want him traded.

But I easily see Toronto trying to move on from this pathetic playoffs by using slight of hand and making us focus on Mitch signing a contract for less money to stay with the team (but still be overpaid).

If he's so godly and loves Toronto much maybe he signs at 10, he'd still be overpaid but Leaf Nation would have a new talking point instead of focusing on our pathetic showing in the playoffs.

God that special teams has given me PTSD I swear.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
What if they tell him that they are not planning on re-signing him? Why would he not waive his NMC and choose his destination? Why stick around then?

So he can just play it out and sign somewhere as as an UFA lol

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Why would MM wants to stay and finish his career here?
He knows what’s been said and he knows if he doesn’t deliver in playoffs, it means nothing.
No doubt he loves and cares to be a Lesfs but he really doesn’t have the mental fortitude to play as a main piece on the Leafs.
I can see him accepting that he is Pippen and not MJ but as of today, mentally he is more like Longley.
Like all players, he wants to have those #heishim game esp in the playoffs but when the pressure is on, he is afraid to take the risks or do the heavy lifting. I will bet that if he has a breakaway with Swayman in OT, Swayman doesn’t even need to make a save as MM will either over deke or try a drop pass to someone trialing him.

so unless he signs at 5-6mil and be just one of the supporting players, he will always be count on as a difference maker.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He needs a change of scene. He really has to go.

He's not really trying.

At this stage, he's infuriating.

He's underperformed and needs to take a pay cut. 10 AAV, full trade abilities, final offer.

#ownRental is fine for me.

Reactions: arso40 and socko

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
literally last week he was getting roasted for throwing a fit on the bench. maybe that's pissy or worse but it's not indifference.
Indifference to results.

There is no way a man who truly wants to win doesn't actively try to avoid the heat. Such a person would embrace it.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
If he's so godly and loves Toronto much maybe he signs at 10, he'd still be overpaid but Leaf Nation would have a new talking point instead of focusing on our pathetic showing in the playoffs.
Full Trade abilities.
Final offer.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Mitch does himself no favours with his media avails. I cannot defend this guy anymore. That was a horrible press conference.

“We are looked upon as God’s” no Mitch you couldn’t be farther off base. Many of the fans hate your guts. This guy ain’t waiving his NMC. Forget about it

I cringed reading that. He seriously needs a PR team. He does not realize that a true leader is a servant of the team and the fans.

Pinkcat

Jul 4, 2013
Gets to pick as a UFA as well. Only carrot is 8 years over 7 on an extension.
There is risk in that though. If he plays out his contract and gets injured he has nothing. If he signs an extension he gets money guaranteed plus controls the process.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
If he walks for nothing everyone involved should be fired.
He is going to walk for nothing.

We don't need his services. It hasn't worked out.

MLSE probably likes him (Jersey sales), but those must be tanking because he's infuriating.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Just for balance, was really struck by the genuine comments of his teammates today when asked about Marner. "Incredible human being" was said multiple times, so apart from the player discussion, I think it noteworthy he is beloved in the room, despite the absolute bullshit I read here. He's a great team mate, great person, who does a lot of things for a lot of people. It's actually part of the reason I defended him, never understood the bush league demonization of him because you don't like his style of play.

He's a good human, I wish him well whatever happens.

Keep it to hockey dumpster divers.

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
I know the Tkachuk trade gets ripped on but if Tre got a first and a defenseman like Weegar for Marner, is that half decent? I think Huberdeau and his extension make that trade look much worse.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He is probably going to play for the Leafs for most of the season and get traded near the deadline.

I hope he goes lights out and gets a lot of attention from trade partners.

Pump up the volume babe
Interesting thought. Why would you think he’d waive or be asked at the deadline?
You don’t think the Leafs will be a playoff team?

Reactions: arso40 and egd27

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Matthews is the owner of game 2.

Nylander is the owner of game 6.

Even JT was good for one hero moment.

Marner what happened man. Youre the 2nd best forward on the team. In theory If the above 3 are true, the series should be ours when you add in Marners offensive contribution.

This is 2 playoff series in a row he's been bust. Panthers + Bruins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad