Player Discussion Marner talk - daily repetition version.

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Well I didn’t mind the rest of his press conference but Marner was asked what he thinks it means to be a Maple Leaf.

“It means the world to me, we are looked upon as Gods”

That’s the full context. He’s just bad at speaking, we all know what he meant but that’s something you say to the boys. Not media avail because it comes across as you care more about the status than actually winning.

Marner is just dumb, I wouldn’t look at his words with any hope of gaining any insight, except to confirm that he’s just not a very smart dude

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Marner is most likely a career Leaf. I just don't see worthwhile packages being offered that makes it worth it. The league is currently in an awkward state , still recovering from covid induced economical state.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
would people be upset if he got a matching deal to Nylanders? 11.5?

I personally think change is so needed, I'm frustrated cause Marner is my favourite player but man. How do you run it back for a 9th attempt?
It's a tough one. I think most fans view Nylander as passing Marner, so he should come in at a lessor number.
Not sure how the team or Marner view it though.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You need a trade partner and I just don’t see a lot of trade partner out there for MM.
but it is crazy to run it back bc whatever we have right now, it is not working.
Can’t rely on your goalie to give you 1-0 or 2-1 games in the playoffs.
MM will definitely be the buzz when/if a big trade happens in the off season where people will go, why Tre didn’t trade MM for this package…

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He wants money? Work out an extension with a team who wants him, then move him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sign and trade with some cap retention. Maybe 5 years 12m where we bite 2m a year so the trade value is better.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Vote: No and will be re-signed

As a Wild fan I don't follow the Leafs closely, but I am familiar with the "running it back" mindset. I could see where MLSE justifies this latest first round exit on injuries. That's not an unreasonable excuse to a certain degree. Rinsing and repeating next season until JT comes off the books. Extend Marner, use the Tavares money to fill around the edges. Continue the quest.

I just think with with Marner's NMC getting decent value is going to be a tall request. Hometown boy playing for his iconic franchise? Getting him out of town might not be that easy. Ever see Michael Keaton in Pacific Heights?

Honestly them re-signing Tavares would not shock me either. For obviously much less term. With the way GMs think sometimes, nothing really surprises me anymore. I say that as a general statement, I'm not intending to pick on Toronto.

Like I said I don't follow, just pick up on the team through osmosis. Y'all are permanently in the hockey zeitgeist after all.

Last edited:

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Not traded simply because he likely won't waive.

He will not be retained, however, at his current cap hit or anything higher.

That looked upon as Gods comment is a freaking joke. Severely out of touch with the actual views of this fanbase.

Reactions: Cypruss and arso40

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
I still think the most likely outcome is that he refuses to waive his NMC, Keefe is replaced, and in the midst of other personnel changes, Marner is signed to an 8 year extension for around $10.5M-$11M before the regular season. This is then rationalised as the Tavares $11M comes off after next season, so the cap isn't overly affected (which may be supported by a Tavares extension in the $4M-$5M range), and that the new coach "believes in the core and in Marner" with the right deployments, strategies, etc.

The agreement with Treliving is that Marner gives up $1M-$2M of what Marner believes he could have got on the open market in exchange for 8 years of term. For Treliving to bring it over the line without pissing off the fans too much is a partial NMC of 15 teams which kicks in immediately from Year 1 of the extension.

Far from ideal, but I think it's the most likely outcome I can think of in my head.

Oct 18, 2010
Mitch just said the fans in Toronto view the Leaf players as Gods lol.

They do. These crap contracts have been defended since day 1 even though in no world did they make sense for a team trying to win the Stanley Cup. People get mad at you for stating the obvious that no good team operates like this one. This is the easiest market to play in. Low expectations, no accountability, more money than anyone in the league if you're in the cool kids club. Every once in a while someone will be made a scapegoat, but that's only because people don't want to admit that the whole organization is rotten to the core.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad