Marlies GDT: Marlies Calder Cup Champions!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Weird comment. Are you implying that Nylander hasn't? Nylander played centre exclusively in the AHL and was dominant at that position for the Marlies. He also played centre in the SHL before that and put up excellent numbers for his age. He also has much more NHL experience than Altonen, albeit mostly on the wing (apart from when he was first called up at the end of the 15-16 season when, I might add, he did quite well).

The reason Nylander might not get one of the centre positions and Altonen might is exclusively because Babcock will be very hesitant to break up the Matthews line. Nothing to do with being proven in the AHL.

Don't think it's a weird comment at all. Leafs have only two proven signed NHL centres, Matthews and Kadri. Leafs are kinda depending on Aaltonen to be one and maybe even Lindholm. But I do think that Nylander will be given a shot at centre this year because the Leafs have "plenty" of wingers. Marner played really well with Matthews (who couldn't) when Nylander was moved to centre due to injuries, so the Nylander/Matthew break up shouldn't be devastating . Marner played well at right point on the PP, so Matthews and Nylander could very well see lots of together on the PP.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Nylander 3C
Lindholm 4C

So we lack at least one LW probably two and Aaltonen can fill one of those holes

Certainly looks like Grundstrom and Johnson are going to the chance to be Leafs left wingers. Along with Marleau, Hyman, Martin and Leivo. Just think there is a greater need at centre for Aaltonen.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Certainly looks like Grundstrom and Johnson are going to the chance to be Leafs left wingers. Along with Marleau, Hyman, Martin and Leivo. Just think there is a greater need at centre for Aaltonen.

I think we're going to try to trade Martin, Babcock loves press boxing Leivo and Hyman is much better on the Right so it's Marleau and Johnsson, Grundstrom is a big maybe so Aaltonen at LW beside Lindholm is a decent chance

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think we're going to try to trade Martin, Babcock loves press boxing Leivo and Hyman is much better on the Right so it's Marleau and Johnsson, Grundstrom is a big maybe so Aaltonen at LW beside Lindholm is a decent chance
Show us your lines (if you don't mind).

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Leo was literally one of the worst forwards last season. Why the hell do people want to resign him, other than the fact his name is Leo Komarov?

And by like game 4 Leo was saying he was healthy enough to play, Johnsson definitely took his spot without it being a result of injury

Neat.

Where did I say I wanted Leo back?

You're arguing with the wind.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I think this is the team makeup Babcock will favour

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
Johnsson UFA/trade Kapanen
Aaltonen Lindholm Brown

This is what I'd do

Johnsson Matthews Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Marner
Grundstrom Nylander Hyman
Aaltonen Lindholm Brown

I'd love to see that first line. Third line not too shabby either.

Reactions: Kiwi
Jul 10, 2003
KW
It's amazing we can lose an entire line of players off the roster and it's still possible to put a team that solid together

It really is amazing. It was pretty awesome seeing Kapanen and Johnsson force their way into the lineup the way they did.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Game 1 – Sat., June 2 – Texas at Toronto, 4 p.m. ET
Game 2 – Sun., June 3 – Texas at Toronto, 4 p.m. ET
Game 3 – Tue., June 5 – Toronto at Texas, 8 p.m. ET
Game 4 – Thu., June 7 – Toronto at Texas, 8 p.m. ET
*Game 5 – Sat., June 9 – Toronto at Texas, 8 p.m. ET
*Game 6 – Tue., June 12 – Texas at Toronto, 7 p.m. ET
*Game 7 – Thu., June 14 – Texas at Toronto, 7 p.m. ET

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Looks like everyone is ready

Has Grundstrom been on the RW ever since Johnsson has joined the team?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
Aaltonen Lindholm Brown

This is what I'd do

Marleau Kadri Marner
Aaltonen Lindholm Brown

I like it

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
Aaltonen Lindholm Brown

This is what I'd do

Marleau Kadri Marner
Aaltonen Lindholm Brown

I still see Hyman with Matthews and Johnsson on the 4th line until he shows he can do more. That may not take long, which is why the vet I think they bring in for the 3rd line will be shorter term.

I'd look into guys like Hagelin from Pittsburgh. He'd come cheap from them because he's overpaid, but we can afford him for one year.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Hagelin-Nylander-Kapanen
Johnsson-Lindholm-Leivo
Gauthier

If Johnsson can do more, then Hagelin fits well on the 4th line as well and Johnsson can move up. Hyman can play up and down the lineup as well. And you can put the 4 RW's wherever you want after camp. If Leivo loses out to Aaltonen, who plays RW as well, then trade him and put Aaltonen there. Although I think at this point, it's Leivo's job to lose.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I still see Hyman with Matthews and Johnsson on the 4th line until he shows he can do more. That may not take long, which is why the vet I think they bring in for the 3rd line will be shorter term.

I'd look into guys like Hagelin from Pittsburgh. He'd come cheap from them because he's overpaid, but we can afford him for one year.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Hagelin-Nylander-Kapanen
Johnsson-Lindholm-Leivo
Gauthier

If Johnsson can do more, then Hagelin fits well on the 4th line as well and Johnsson can move up. Hyman can play up and down the lineup as well. And you can put the 4 RW's wherever you want after camp. If Leivo loses out to Aaltonen, who plays RW as well, then trade him and put Aaltonen there. Although I think at this point, it's Leivo's job to lose.

If Nylander goes to center (that's a big if) I think Babcock may look to staple Hyman to him in a quazi babysitting role

I've got doubts about Babcock using Leivo as well

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

Looks like everyone is ready

Has Grundstrom been on the RW ever since Johnsson has joined the team?

Yes. There is a recent interview where Keefe talks about how that line came together and iirc he said that Grundstrom is a better fit on the right.

Reactions: Liminality

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Hagelin-Nylander-Kapanen
Johnsson-Lindholm-Leivo
Gauthier

Johnson has already shown he can do as much as Hagelin (who would essentially be Komarove 2.o anyway). If we're going to go that route, we might as well resign Uncle Leo another year, since that would likely save us $3 million and whatever more Pitts would want for H. The team shouldn't be spending so much cap on another 4th line winger when they can be had for basically nothing. We need to spend our cap in areas of actual need, not another plug winger that Babcock will likely overuse because he's a GUD PRO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad