Marlies GDT: Marlies Calder Cup Champions!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Interesting chatter over on the Flyers boards.

Apparently they only lost to the Marlies because of coaching. They acknowledged that Keefe is a high-end coach, while Gordon is not.

With that said, they have more talent. It was also mentioned that Johnsson would not be a top 5 prospect in their system and POTENTIALLY not even top 10.

Cool.
What's worse is he said Andreas would not be a top 5 fwd prospect and maybe not even a top 10 so they have atleast 5 fwds that are better. LMAO

Reactions: LeafChief

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Not gonna rant on Babcock but this Marlie team is extremely impressive with how they hound the puck. Coaching has to play into that. That Johnsson line has great chemistry, they should all be up with the Leafs next year. There are so many players who hustle more than Babcock’s son Hyman, with better offensive skills. If we don’t see some changes internally it’ll be further evidence Babcock is overrated.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Not gonna rant on Babcock but this Marlie team is extremely impressive with how they hound the puck. Coaching has to play into that. That Johnsson line has great chemistry, they should all be up with the Leafs next year. There are so many players who hustle more than Babcock’s son Hyman, with better offensive skills. If we don’t see some changes internally it’ll be further evidence Babcock is overrated.

:huh:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
As bad as Andersen was there, jake Gardiner played that game making me miss brett lebda. The worst performance I have seen a leaf player have in a playoff game. Babcock, Andersen, forwards, all deserve blame, but when I think about game 7 2018 It will be remembered as Jake Gardiner going show.

When I remember this game 7:

I'll remember the fact that the rest of the team didn't get a single shot in the first 9 minute of the 3rd period. I'll remember that this all-mighty offense-first team disappeared. I'll remember this all-mighty elite-forward-group cheating every single time in the offensive zone and not giving a damn about helping the D out.

I blame Gardiner and Andersen for-sure, they blew it no doubt. Yet, I actually felt bad for Andersen, Gardiner and the rest of the D watching the forwards play. For an offense-first team, the offense generated nothing, no real pressure. Quite pathetic.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
What's worse is he said Andreas would not be a top 5 fwd prospect and maybe not even a top 10 so they have atleast 5 fwds that are better. LMAO

To be fair, he said that all of their best prospects aren't on their AHL team. Mind you, with the way he and others were complaining about having a team of plugs and a bad coach you'd think they were talking about a team on par with the Laval Rockets, not the team with the 2nd best record in the league! That being said, neither Rockford nor Texas are as good as either Syracuse or LV have been this year, and neither team has a defence likely capable of corraling the Marlies offense or an offense capable of making much headway through the Marlies defence. And personally, I'd like the Marlies to continue on their streak of no playoff losses with Johnsson and Dermot in the lineup.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Uhh lol

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Don't know why folks want Aaltonen at LW. He's done really well at centre with Marlies.

Many people are emotionally committed to the Leafs putting anyone other than Aaltonen in as #4 line center, and for some reason won't consider Johnsson's #1 feeder the opportunity in their heads. I agree its pretty damn weird.

I take it then you've watched Lindholm a lot and are convinced that he would be a better choice as #4 center instead of Aaltonnen who has been the best center on the Marlies this year.

Obviously preseason will let Lindholm and Aaltonen battle it out but if I had to pick one right now I'd pick Lindholm. Why? We need our 4C to play a 2-way game, to win key-draws and be able to take defensive zone-starts. Par Lindholm is a 2-way physical center that is great at faceoffs. Aaltonen on the other-hand is a small center who isn't great at faceoffs (Not putting him down, just referring to our 4C needs). I like Aaltonen but he's much more suited for a 3C position if we can't find a 3C UFA or Nylander can't transition to C. He's NHL-ready IMO, which is why the most viable spot right now for him is the 4LW or 3C position.

Lindholm is much more suitable for a 4th line role, he's a gritty 2way player, Aaltonen has some talent and if he can play 3rd line LW and play 15-16 minutes a night rather than 10 it makes sense to try to use him higher up the line-up if he's capable of it

I want to use Aaltonen like that becauseI think he's good

And yes I have watched some video on Lindholm and have discussed him with Nithoniniel who's extremely knowledgeable about guys out of Sweden

Agreed with this.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I've seen some people bring up trying Aaltonen on the wing. Did he play the wing at any point for the Marlies this year?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Apparently they only lost to the Marlies because of coaching. They acknowledged that Keefe is a high-end coach, while Gordon is not.

With that said, they have more talent. It was also mentioned that Johnsson would not be a top 5 prospect in their system and POTENTIALLY not even top 10.

Cool.
"Smithers massage my brain. You Johnsson, score a goal." - Sheldon Keefe.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017

Cool.
They do have one of the better prospect pools around the league, and it's worth remembering that Johnsson will be 24 this November. It's pretty optimistic of them to say they currently have 5 forward prospects that will pan out as better players than him, but.... meh. They dropped 4 straight in a conference final, let 'em be happy about something. All the bickering is so silly to me, I just want to fast forward to next weekend and get to winning this f***ing thing!

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Nylander 3C
Lindholm 4C

So we lack at least one LW probably two and Aaltonen can fill one of those holes

I don't know why folks get so caught up in this number system. The Leafs under Babcock use balanced scoring lines. I don't see the Leafs lacking LWers at all. Marleau, Johnson, Grundstrom, Martin and Leivo and Hyman. It's filling that centre position(s) when the only two NHLers the Leafs help. Maybe it's Nylander, but Aaltonen has proved himself at least in the AHL. Of course there might be short term help in free agency though there probably isn't many centres actually available.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I don't know why folks get so caught up in this number system. The Leafs under Babcock use balanced scoring lines. I don't see the Leafs lacking LWers at all. Marleau, Johnson, Grundstrom, Martin and Leivo and Hyman. It's filling that centre position(s) when the only two NHLers the Leafs help. Maybe it's Nylander, but Aaltonen has proved himself at least in the AHL. Of course there might be short term help in free agency though there probably isn't many centres actually available.

Its true that the UFA market in centers this year is thin. You filter out the old, slow, tiny, or likely to be well over-priced and wanting term and there isn't much that's better than the Leafs already have on their roster for their bottom 2.

Reactions: Keon1963

Hurin

Jun 29, 2016
Winnipeg, MB

Weird comment. Are you implying that Nylander hasn't? Nylander played centre exclusively in the AHL and was dominant at that position for the Marlies. He also played centre in the SHL before that and put up excellent numbers for his age. He also has much more NHL experience than Altonen, albeit mostly on the wing (apart from when he was first called up at the end of the 15-16 season when, I might add, he did quite well).

The reason Nylander might not get one of the centre positions and Altonen might is exclusively because Babcock will be very hesitant to break up the Matthews line. Nothing to do with being proven in the AHL.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
So uhhh anyone know anything about the Texas Stars or the Ice Hogs? (Assuming Stars win still)
The Stars seem to be heavily favoring AHL vets and they're doing well so far. I love that Didomenico is leading the Ice Hogs through this playoff run and it's interesting to see Franson on their blueline.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
So uhhh anyone know anything about the Texas Stars or the Ice Hogs? (Assuming Stars win still)
The Stars seem to be heavily favoring AHL vets and they're doing well so far. I love that Didomenico is leading the Ice Hogs through this playoff run and it's interesting to see Franson on their blueline.
That is interesting. Poor Franson, I bet he regrets not signing a Nonis contract offer. Clearly he didn't consult Clarkson, who would have wisely told him, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
That is interesting. Poor Franson, I bet he regrets not signing a Nonis contract offer. Clearly he didn't consult Clarkson, who would have wisely told him, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Man if we had franson right now we would be in some serious cap trouble. He was offered 6 years 4.5 right? That was in 14/15 for the 15/16 year. So he would have 3 years left on his deal while being a ahl middle pair defender. Nonis really tried to screw us over. Imagine Clarkson stays healthy and Horton is insured. We have Clarkson, franson, still on this team and if the Panthers were not stupid we may have had bolland on 4.5 mill deal. Would have been so much harder to rebuild with those 3 on long term contracts.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Man if we had franson right now we would be in some serious cap trouble. He was offered 6 years 4.5 right? That was in 14/15 for the 15/16 year. So he would have 3 years left on his deal while being a ahl middle pair defender. Nonis really tried to screw us over. Imagine Clarkson stays healthy and Horton is insured. We have Clarkson, franson, still on this team and if the Panthers were not stupid we may have had bolland on 4.5 mill deal. Would have been so much harder to rebuild with those 3 on long term contracts.
Ew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad