Marlies GDT: Marlies Calder Cup Champions!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah, it's essentially Lindholm or Aaltonen being the 4C in my eyes (with the 4th line Ws being Grundstrom-Brown)

Enough.

This is a Marlies thread. Not a defend Babcock thread. I'd mention that it is Mike's fault that he didn't challenge offsides on that play which would've negated the goal, but then I'd get a Babcult rant.

I think Aaltonen may end up on a LW if he doesn't get a center job on the Leafs

Since he will be available on waivers, every team in the NHL will have a shot at him. Who in Europe will pay him $1.3 million a year? (that's how much he will
make if the leafs qualify him)

No way he's getting qualified at 1.3M

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Who in Europe will pay $1.3 mil to put Marincin on their roster?

I saw an article / show once that was talking about how much of the cost of living was picked up in some countries in Europe that the actual salary wasn't comparable to being paid in NA.

I think the focus was on Switzerland where housing and car was provided to the players and the salary was on top of that.

Really, it is about how much you can bank.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
70 year old Bergman ... okay who is replacing him?

That is the $64 million dollar question. Hopefully he will be as good at picking his replacement as he has been with picking TML 7th rounders.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I think Aaltonen may end up on a LW if he doesn't get a center job on the Leafs

No way he's getting qualified at 1.3M
I see our Ws as way more filled with depth/harder to get a spot on than C. Really only possible scenario I could see that happening would be Aaltonen-Lindholm-Brown being our 4th line, but doubt that happens. We'll see I guess

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Its clear Babcock allowed Freddy to allow a bad goal. He is terrible.:sarcasm:

As bad as Andersen was there, jake Gardiner played that game making me miss brett lebda. The worst performance I have seen a leaf player have in a playoff game. Babcock, Andersen, forwards, all deserve blame, but when I think about game 7 2018 It will be remembered as Jake Gardiner going show.

Reactions: stickty111

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Who in Europe will pay more than the leafs are to put Marincin on their roster?

The KHL have some big money teams

Why not? The Leafs have tons of cap space. What harm would it do if it helps ensure the Marlies have the best D in the AHL two years running?

Because nobody is spending 1.3M for an AHL defenseman even one as rich as us

I see our Ws as way more filled with depth/harder to get a spot on than C. Really only possible scenario I could see that happening would be Aaltonen-Lindholm-Brown being our 4th line, but doubt that happens. We'll see I guess

If Nylander goes to center we've got two LW spots open 1 if we bring in a another 3C and Nylander stays on the RW

Hyman
Johnsson
Marleau
Aaltonen

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Komaorv sucked ass entire year its not like he started playing bad late in the season; if a coach doesn't recognize that or gives a soundbite in the presser "whats the corsi on that" for a polak hit while polak has consistently been a :facepalm: worthy d-man

then........................
DJ Smith said that not Babcock...
It's one thing to bring up Babcock in a Marlies thread, it's another to spread lies. Get back to the Marlies, maybe you know a little more about them.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Saw a post in the Flyers board saying Johnsson wouldn't be a top 5 forward prospect for them, maybe top 10. Thought that was pretty funny, only one that would be above is Frost imo unless I'm forgetting like 7 players.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Don't know why folks want Aaltonen at LW. He's done really well at centre with Marlies.
I'd even go with at centre, Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, Aaltonen
LW, Grundstrom, Johnson, Marleau, Martin.Leivo
RW. Marner, Hyman, Kapanen, Brown. Yea Hyman could switch to RW.

Back to game 7 comments. Leafs leading 4-3 and it was four on four. Babcock and lousy game management has no centres on the ice when Marleau loses the defensive zone draw to Krejci , four seconds later, Krug scores. Matthews Kadri, Plekanec on the bench. Bozak in penalty box.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Saw a post in the Flyers board saying Johnsson wouldn't be a top 5 forward prospect for them, maybe top 10. Thought that was pretty funny, only one that would be above is Frost imo unless I'm forgetting like 7 players.

That's called denial envy. Very common among fans who've seen their team spanked by the likes of an Andreas Johnsson.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Don't know why folks want Aaltonen at LW. He's done really well at centre with Marlies.

Many people are emotionally committed to the Leafs putting anyone other than Aaltonen in as #4 line center, and for some reason won't consider Johnsson's #1 feeder the opportunity in their heads. I agree its pretty damn weird.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Back to game 7 comments. Leafs leading 4-3 and it was four on four. Babcock and lousy game management has no centres on the ice when Marleau loses the defensive zone draw to Krejci , four seconds later, Krug scores. Matthews Kadri, Plekanec on the bench. Bozak in penalty box.
Many people are emotionally committed to the Leafs putting anyone other than Aaltonen in as #4 line center, and for some reason won't consider Johnsson's #1 feeder the opportunity in their heads. I agree its pretty damn weird.

Nylander 3C
Lindholm 4C

So we lack at least one LW probably two and Aaltonen can fill one of those holes

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Interesting chatter over on the Flyers boards.

Apparently they only lost to the Marlies because of coaching. They acknowledged that Keefe is a high-end coach, while Gordon is not.

With that said, they have more talent. It was also mentioned that Johnsson would not be a top 5 prospect in their system and POTENTIALLY not even top 10.

Cool.

Reactions: TimeZone and Mikeyg

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Nylander 3C
Lindholm 4C

So we lack at least one LW probably two and Aaltonen can fill one of those holes

You respond to a list of 5 potential NHL LW for the team next year, and state we lack 2?:huh: You are amazingly eager to pencil a player (who I'll admit has had success in Sweden) who has yet to play 1 game in NA ahead of Aaltonnen. What makes you do this? Why are you so deadset against our top AHL center (who is 2 years younger than Lindholm) playing 4th line center?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Interesting chatter over on the Flyers boards.

Apparently they only lost to the Marlies because of coaching. They acknowledged that Keefe is a high-end coach, while Gordon is not.

With that said, they have more talent. It was also mentioned that Johnsson would not be a top 5 prospect in their system and POTENTIALLY not even top 10.

Cool.
It's hard to argue with that logic. They were so close.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You respond to a list of 5 potential NHL LW for the team next year, and state we lack 2?:huh: You are amazingly eager to pencil a player (who I'll admit has had success in Sweden) who has yet to play 1 game in NA ahead of Aaltonnen. What makes you do this? Why are you so deadset against our top AHL center (who is 2 years younger than Lindholm) playing 4th line center?

If Nylander goes to center Hyman is a good shot of going over to the right, once you do that Johnsson and Marleau are the only locks at LW with Leivo and Grundstrom as maybe's and Aaltonen is more than capable of playing as the 3rd or 4th line LW who could platoon with Lindholm as the 4C

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Not as bad as the Tampa fan who was adamant that Syracuse would have SWEPT the Marlies if only they had been healthy.:laugh:

The attitude sort of reminds me of how many Leaf fans (myself included) reacted to the 2012 Calder Cup Finals. Those who were regular viewers of the American Hockey League, not to mention Norfolk's regular season record, told us that they were a great team, but many of us didn't listen. We were enamored with our own prospects, in some cases with good reason (Kadri, Gardiner), in other cases less so (Frattin, D'Amigo, Percy). The Marlies were one of the top teams in the AHL... but still got swept.

That Admirals team not only had a great mix of veterans and youth but were led by lesser known, but equally talented prospects as many of our big names, plus an up-and-coming young coach by the name of Jon Cooper. In hindsight... you can see why a team led by Ondrej Palat (7th rounder), Alex Killorn (3rd), Radko Gudas (3rd), Richard Panik (2nd), and Tyler Johnson (undrafted) was so good.

I'm not an AHL fan, so maybe someone who is can compare today's Marlies to those Admirals, but on the surface there looks to be a lot of similarities. Guys like Johnsson (7th), Engvall (7th), and Grundstrom (3rd) are not the best known prospects, but are far better than most opposing fans will give credit for. It bodes well for the Leafs in the years ahead.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Not as bad as the Tampa fan who was adamant that Syracuse would have SWEPT the Marlies if only they had been healthy.:laugh:

The attitude sort of reminds me of how many Leaf fans (myself included) reacted to the 2012 Calder Cup Finals. Those who were regular viewers of the American Hockey League, not to mention Norfolk's regular season record, told us that they were a great team, but many of us didn't listen. We were enamored with our own prospects, in some cases with good reason (Kadri, Gardiner), in other cases less so (Frattin, D'Amigo, Percy). The Marlies were one of the top teams in the AHL... but still got swept.

That Admirals team not only had a great mix of veterans and youth but were led by lesser known, but equally talented prospects as many of our big names, plus an up-and-coming young coach by the name of Jon Cooper. In hindsight... you can see why a team led by Ondrej Palat (7th rounder), Alex Killorn (3rd), Radko Gudas (3rd), Richard Panik (2nd), and Tyler Johnson (undrafted) was so good.

I'm not an AHL fan, so maybe someone who is can compare today's Marlies to those Admirals, but on the surface there looks to be a lot of similarities. Guys like Johnsson (7th), Engvall (7th), and Grundstrom (3rd) are not the best known prospects, but are far better than most opposing fans will give credit for. It bodes well for the Leafs in the years ahead.
Solid post. Very true.

I remember how excited we all were back in 2012 and kind of discounted the lesser known stars (I guess we didn't know they were stars at the time) that were on that Norfolk team.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If Nylander goes to center Hyman is a good shot of going over to the right, once you do that Johnsson and Marleau are the only locks at LW with Leivo and Grundstrom as maybe's and Aaltonen is more than capable of playing as the 3rd or 4th line LW who could platoon with Lindholm as the 4C

I take it then you've watched Lindholm a lot and are convinced that he would be a better choice as #4 center instead of Aaltonnen who has been the best center on the Marlies this year.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I take it then you've watched Lindholm a lot and are convinced that he would be a better choice as #4 center instead of Aaltonnen who has been the best center on the Marlies this year.

Lindholm is much more suitable for a 4th line role, he's a gritty 2way player, Aaltonen has some talent and if he can play 3rd line LW and play 15-16 minutes a night rather than 10 it makes sense to try to use him higher up the line-up if he's capable of it

I want to use Aaltonen like that becauseI think he's good

And yes I have watched some video on Lindholm and have discussed him with Nithoniniel who's extremely knowledgeable about guys out of Sweden

Reactions: LeafChief
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad