Marlies / Prospects Thread - Marlies training camp has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Not a good weekend for Donaghey but it's common for players coming back from NHL camps.

He had 1 goal in a 5-1 loss.

He had 1 assist today in a 6-3 win. He was a +2.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Mantha is the most overrated prospect on HF right now.

He will not be the next Zetterberg or Datsyuk. I don't mind if you disagree, but I do not see Mantha putting that organization on his back.

Why do you think he's overrated?

It's fine to have that opinion, but why are thinking that way?

He had 50 goals in back to back years in junior. That's a very impressive stat and not many players can do that. I'm sure that's why people are excited about him.

Number13

May 21, 2007
I would be impressed with that list.

Nyquist scored 28 goals in 57 games last year. Tatar had almost 40 points. Not to bad at all.

Not a bad list, but not as good as people make it to be. Most teams have a list that is similar, like us. Other than a few homeruns, Detroit's drafting is pretty mediocre.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Nyquist scored 28 goals in 57 games last year. Tatar had almost 40 points. Not to bad at all.

last year:

J.VanRiemsdyk (24): 80gms, 30gls, 61pts
Gustav Nyquist (24): 57gms, 28gls, 48pts

N.Kadri (23): 78gms, 20gls, 50pts
T.Tatar (23): 73gms, 19gls, 39pts

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Surprised the Leafs didn't look at either Flinn or Markstrom when he was available. Both are goaltenders that typically take the longest to develop but more importantly, both have very high upside. Flinn looked great in the rookie tournament; Markstrom may have been improperly handled on the Canucks-- a team with 2 premier goaltenders at the time in Luongo and Schneider. You don't normally get large goaltenders with great athleticism.

I also don't understand why Blake Kessel was given a PTO seeing as how he's been bouncing around the AHL and ECHL the last couple of years. But then again, I'm not a scout :3

None of the players I have mentioned above may do anything of significance in the NHL but it surprises me how the Leafs aren't trying to buy low for high potential goalies. The drafted goalies we have in our system are 6th and 7th rounders, that according to management's moves recently, have more upside than Jacob freaking Markstrom. Surprising.

not surprising, since our goalies have outplayed markstrom.

draft position means nothing for goalies. markstrom stinks.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
that trio of defenseman there is not impressive in the least.

I can't speak about Ouelette since I don't know much about him, but Sproul is a very good defenseman. Has an amazing shot and his game has translated from juniors to the pros pretty damn quickly, scoring 11 goals in his 1st season in the AHL. An even better skater now and better in his own zone so he's a very well rounded d man who will be on the Red Wings roster full time in the not so distant future.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I can't speak about Ouelette since I don't know much about him, but Sproul is a very good defenseman. Has an amazing shot and his game has translated from juniors to the pros pretty damn quickly, scoring 11 goals in his 1st season in the AHL. An even better skater now and better in his own zone so he's a very well rounded d man who will be on the Red Wings roster full time in the not so distant future.

sproul is definitely the best of the three for me. then again, he's no rielly.

smith is like a poor man's jake gardiner. i.e. all of jake's strengths and weaknesses, except without jake's best asset - elite skating.

ouellet is comparable to percy.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If that was the Maple Leafs prospect pool, people would be complaining about having good players, but no great players.

Well, people find reasons to complain on HF, whether valid or not.

There's a good bunch of talent in that list.

DoubleDouble*

I didn't say it was bad, you put that word into my mouth. I just said I wasn't impressed. None of those D get me excited despite being a Soo Greyhounds fan for Sproul's career (watched emerge from a tall kid with a decent shot to a legit OHL scoring threat from the backend). As for the forwards - sure, there is talent, but every team in the league could name a few players with the same types of ceilings. That's why I am not impressed.

A good number of objective people who watch/know the game are, but you're free to feel as you wish.

Why do you think he's overrated?

It's fine to have that opinion, but why are thinking that way?

He had 50 goals in back to back years in junior. That's a very impressive stat and not many players can do that. I'm sure that's why people are excited about him.

I think he is a great junior player who will not be able to translate his offence to the NHL. Only time will tell, but I think he is able to coast and be opportunistic against juniors and players that age. When he gets into the NHL, I expect the game to move too fast for him. My prediction would be Lupul-esque numbers. Every time I watch him I think the same thing. We will see in 3 or 4 years when he hits his stride.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Engvall, together with Detroit's pick Christoffer Ehn, loaned from Frölunda J20 to Oskarshamn in Allsvenskan. Will likely play tomorrow.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Engvall, together with Detroit's pick Christoffer Ehn, loaned from Frölunda J20 to Oskarshamn in Allsvenskan. Will likely play tomorrow.

Do you think they will get similar ice-time playing for Oskarshamn?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Thanks for the update.

Further on Engvall: Has he perhaps out grown(too good) for the J20 and would the CHL have been a better option for him this year?

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
The Marlies are going to have one veteran heavy lineup this year.

I'd have to disagree. I haven't look at the D yet, but the Forwards are quite young.
Rupert (20)?
Brown (20)
Vail (20)
Broll (21)
Watling (21)
Findlay (21)
Biggs (21)
Leivo (21)?
McKegg (22)
Carrick (22)
Ross (22)
Devane (23)
Kozun (24)?
Della Rovere (24)
Abbott (26)
McLaren (26)?
Konna (29)
Bodie (29)
Smith (29)

Average age is 24, Median age is 22. Bold are players who may make the NHL, Rupert may go back to Juniors.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Thanks for the update.

Further on Engvall: Has he perhaps out grown(too good) for the J20 and would the CHL have been a better option for him this year?

The CHL is a tournament style league that only plays around 4 games a month. I believe Engvall did play for Forlunda (SHL not J20) in one of the team's CHL games earlier this season when Johnson was sick and couple guys were out as well. I believe the jump to Oskarshamn is the equivalence of him going from the OHL to AHL here in Canada.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
The CHL is a tournament style league that only plays around 4 games a month. I believe Engvall did play for Forlunda (SHL not J20) in one of the team's CHL games earlier this season when Johnson was sick and couple guys were out as well. I believe the jump to Oskarshamn is the equivalence of him going from the OHL to AHL here in Canada.

CHL = Canadian hockey league

i.e OHL, WHL, QMJHL

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Marlies are going to have one veteran heavy lineup this year.

nope.

G: Bibeau 20, Sparks 21, Gibson 22

D: Finn 20, Percy 21, Nilsson 21, Granberg 22, MacWilliam 24, Knodel 24, Marshall 25, (Kessel 25), Mikkleson 27

F: (Nylander 18), Brown 20, Rupert 20, Vail 20, (Leivo 21), Broll 21, Biggs 21, McKegg 22, Carrick 22, Ross 22, Findlay 22, (Ashton 23), Devane 23, (Kozun 24), (Dellarovere 24), Abbott 26, (McLaren 27), Smith 29, (Bodie 29), (Kontiola 30)

pretty dang young team, actually.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->