Marlies / Prospects Thread - Marlies training camp has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It doesn't matter if you spend a lot of time in the NCAA, KHL, SEL, or CHL.

Each team has their own system. European hockey is much different than the NHL. And the CHL is different than the NHL.

What I'm trying to state here is that you need to develop these players in your own system. I understand that you will have your free agents and your superstars that you don't need to necessarily develop, but for the other % of players on your roster, you absolutely need to do that.

I don't completely agree.

I think you can use the AHL to acclimatize players to the NHL. Someone like Gunnarsson wasn't developed by the Leafs prior to his NHL employment, but he did get acclimatization in the AHL.

Kulemin was developed for the NHL in the RSL, he didn't develop in his 5 AHL games.

Kadri was developed in the AHL, Bozak was acclimatized in the AHL.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Its funny because the two guys who have defined the Detroit development system -- Zetterberg and Datsyuk are by Showtimes definition, not Detroit developed because it was Europe and straight to NHL

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Its funny because the two guys who have defined the Detroit development system -- Zetterberg and Datsyuk are by Showtimes definition, not Detroit developed because it was Europe and straight to NHL

I stated that there were exceptions. 2 players don't make your team.

Both Datsyuk and Zetterberg missed almost 40 games last season each and they were still able to win with players that they called up because the players that they did call up, knew how to play their system.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
The Red Wings are about to embark down a dark road. Their stars are getting older and getting hurt often. Their drafting as of late hasn't been great, and Gustav Nyqvist and Tomas Tatar aren't leading them to any championships.

Mantha is a dark road?

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
They're at 17 which is amazing.

The Red Wings are at 23.

I'm not basing the comparison off of playoff appearances alone. From wiki:

In their 38 NBA seasons since 1976–1977, the Spurs have won 20 division titles. They have made the playoffs in 24 of the last 25 seasons (since 1989–1990) and have missed the playoffs four times since entering the NBA; they have not missed the playoffs in the 17 seasons since Tim Duncan was drafted by the Spurs in 1997. With their 50th win in the 2013–2014 season, the Spurs extended their record for most consecutive 50+ win seasons to 15 (the 1998/1999 season was shortened to 50 games because of a lockout and based on their win percentage of .740, would have easily surpassed 50 wins in an 82-game season, and thus extend the record by 2 more seasons).

Not to mention the 5 championships in that time span.

I'd say the Red Wings are a very close second. But in any case, I do agree that their model works, which was the point you were making.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Cody Donaghey scored his first goal of the season last night !!

And why didn't the Leafs sign Jack Flinn who was outstanding at the rookie camp or at least invite him to the tournament. Didn't he deserve an opportunity at least.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Mantha is a dark road?

It's a dark road for them in the sense that they've gone from being a contender year in year out for almost two decades, who had their choice of free agents every year, who got multiple franchise talents with late draft picks, to just another team.

They have some good pieces to move forward with, but soon they will longer have anything that nobody else has.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Toronto Marlies ‏@TorontoMarlies 2h
#MarliesLive News: #Marlies sign Brady Vail, Brendan Mikkelson, Blake Kessel and Stefan Della Rovere to #AHL contracts.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
#MarliesLive News: #Marlies sign Brady Vail, Brendan Mikkelson, Blake Kessel and Stefan Della Rovere to #AHL contracts.

Possible lineup? Any chance Nylander and Loov will play in AHL?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I don't get it... Defensemen depth makes some sense, maybe even enough to push Finn to the ECHL for his first season, but I don't get the Della Rovere thing since he's a career ECHLer (so must be for that) and we have like 10 guys who can play LW better than him. Vail is a good young guy, but once again center has a lot of depth. He can play RW though, and that's a place we have some shortages in the minors so not all bad.

Seems a lot of these moves are for the ECHL team more than the AHL team.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Surprised the Leafs didn't look at either Flinn or Markstrom when he was available. Both are goaltenders that typically take the longest to develop but more importantly, both have very high upside. Flinn looked great in the rookie tournament; Markstrom may have been improperly handled on the Canucks-- a team with 2 premier goaltenders at the time in Luongo and Schneider. You don't normally get large goaltenders with great athleticism.

I also don't understand why Blake Kessel was given a PTO seeing as how he's been bouncing around the AHL and ECHL the last couple of years. But then again, I'm not a scout :3

None of the players I have mentioned above may do anything of significance in the NHL but it surprises me how the Leafs aren't trying to buy low for high potential goalies. The drafted goalies we have in our system are 6th and 7th rounders, that according to management's moves recently, have more upside than Jacob freaking Markstrom. Surprising.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Surprised the Leafs didn't look at either Flinn or Markstrom when he was available. Both are goaltenders that typically take the longest to develop but more importantly, both have very high upside. Flinn looked great in the rookie tournament; Markstrom may have been improperly handled on the Canucks-- a team with 2 premier goaltenders at the time in Luongo and Schneider. You don't normally get large goaltenders with great athleticism.

I also don't understand why Blake Kessel was given a PTO seeing as how he's been bouncing around the AHL and ECHL the last couple of years. But then again, I'm not a scout :3

None of the players I have mentioned above may do anything of significance in the NHL but it surprises me how the Leafs aren't trying to buy low for high potential goalies. The drafted goalies we have in our system are 6th and 7th rounders, that according to management's moves recently, have more upside than Jacob freaking Markstrom. Surprising.

It's only because Phil is here, and we do need some defensive depth, and a right-hand shot. Not the end of the world. Della Rovere is the biggest question mark for me. He's not going to have a shot at the AHL unless half our team is injured; he's not that great (I'd almost take McLaren over him, because at least he can fight).

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
It's only because Phil is here, and we do need some defensive depth, and a right-hand shot. Not the end of the world. Della Rovere is the biggest question mark for me. He's not going to have a shot at the AHL unless half our team is injured; he's not that great (I'd almost take McLaren over him, because at least he can fight).

Since when did the Leafs put so much emphasis on balancing LHD and RHD? I don't remember there being such a big issue during the Maurice and Wilson eras... maybe it's a Carlyle thing? Didn't the Wings play winning hockey with like 100% LHD's in their NHL roster too?

Personally, I would have liked to see Carlo Colaiacovo get a shot (even if he's LHD). He's often injured meaning that his spot can be taken by young players but he's also capable of playing solid hockey that might translate to him getting time for the big club.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
It has been frequently mentioned before that the trajectory for goalie development is unpredictable. Look at Pogge as an example. Teams do not want to carry that risk and maybe they do not see the potential in Markstrom.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Since when did the Leafs put so much emphasis on balancing LHD and RHD? I don't remember there being such a big issue during the Maurice and Wilson eras... maybe it's a Carlyle thing? Didn't the Wings play winning hockey with like 100% LHD's in their NHL roster too?

Personally, I would have liked to see Carlo Colaiacovo get a shot (even if he's LHD). He's often injured meaning that his spot can be taken by young players but he's also capable of playing solid hockey that might translate to him getting time for the big club.

The Wings had:
Lidstrom(L)...Murphy(R)
Fetisov(L)...Konstantinov(R)
Duchesne(L)...Rouse or Ward(R)
Then in came Rafakski/Chelios

Only in recent years have they been unable to obtain RHD.
Which makes me wonder if they would deal for Franson.

Mike Babcock stressed this for his team at the Olympics and shortly after Shanny arrived we changed this. Probably not coincidence.

DoubleDouble*

Mantha is a dark road?

Mantha is the most overrated prospect on HF right now.

He will not be the next Zetterberg or Datsyuk. I don't mind if you disagree, but I do not see Mantha putting that organization on his back.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Mantha is the most overrated prospect on HF right now.

He will not be the next Zetterberg or Datsyuk. I don't mind if you disagree, but I do not see Mantha putting that organization on his back.

And with Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist, Smith, Ouelette, Sproul, etc., that will be a requirement?

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005

Markstrom was with Florida and traded for Luongo. He's been given chances but hasn't taken the reins and run with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->