Marleau skated in his 800th consecutive game

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Imagine someone being so salty of someones opinion/view they call them salty because they don't view a active games streak as being active when the player didn't play a full season worth of games.

NHL is pathetic to say he has a 800 game active streak.

So saying out loud that people are salty over this makes me salty? That’s great logic.

Almost as bad as expecting players to play without a contract.

Marleau has not missed a single game when he’s been active NHL player and that’s what the streak is all about. I don’t get what the issue is.

Besides, it’s not like this is a big deal anyway. There’s no shiny hardware for games played. Even if you disagree calling the league pathetic over a fun stat seems like a bit much.

Reactions: Iron Mosher

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Pro-streak people:
If a player retires (doesn't have a contract), and comes back in say.. 2yrs. Does it continue the streak?

Anti-Streak people:
If a player plays 10 games, and gets traded to a team who has played 11 games, so he ends the season with 81 games even though he didn't miss any.. is it a streak?

Personally I don't see it as a streak as not having a contract is just as valid of a reason as a suspension in terms of missing a game. The player was ready and able, but didn't play regardless. That, and I'm pretty sure he missed the first game after signing anyways (though I could be wrong here). Regardless, I respect others opinions on it.

Note:
He signed on October 8th some time before 6:30pm EST

Sharks had a game that night, but Marleau didn't play. They made his contract kick in the next day. I assume it was to assure he didn't 'miss' a game officially.

He did not play that night

Last edited:
Reactions: Pia8988

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
So saying out loud that people are salty over this makes me salty? That’s great logic.

Almost as bad as expecting players to play without a contract.

Marleau has not missed a single game when he’s been active NHL player and that’s what the streak is all about. I don’t get what the issue is.

Besides, it’s not like this is a big deal anyway. There’s no shiny hardware for games played. Even if you disagree calling the league pathetic over a fun stat seems like a bit much.

People like to say things like your being salty or a hater or so and so when they don't like someones view/opinion and the person who starts saying it first is most likely the one who is salty or a hater or a homer ect...

No one is expecting a player to play without a contract but to allow a Iron Man streak to continue like this is just pathetic. He hasn't played all his teams games this season so a Iron Man streak is over it doesn't matter why he missed the games.

Cal Ripken Jr. Iron Man streak was a big deal.

NHL saying Marleau has a active Iron Man streak that can potentially result in him setting NHL record is a pretty big deal.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Marleau skated in his 800th consecutive regular-season game dating to April 9, 2009. He became the sixth player in NHL history to record an “Ironman” streak of at least 800 contests.

Chara, Marleau and Thornton are the only active NHL players who have contested a game in the 1990s.

Marleau800GP_Media-06013355.png

Too pity, it's not all for the Sharks!

Would Cogliano's streak still be going if it wasn't for that BS suspension?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
"BS suspension". At least you're not still mad about it.
It was BS. Should have been a fine.

Why are you so offended? Are you the mom of the player he clipped?

Just disappointed for Cogliano. Was a great streak.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
It is odd that Marleau's streak is kept active for this, while Steve Larmer lost his 884 game streak due to a contract dispute. By the logic used here Larmer's should have remained active, as he didn't have a contract when he missed games.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It is odd that Marleau's streak is kept active for this, while Steve Larmer lost his 884 game streak due to a contract dispute. By the logic used here Larmer's should have remained active, as he didn't have a contract when he missed games.

Larmer refused to play, Marleau didn't have a contract. Those are two very different scenario's.

Reactions: Chelis Chili

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
It was BS. Should have been a fine.

Why are you so offended? Are you the mom of the player he clipped?

Just disappointed for Cogliano. Was a great streak.
I’m not offended about anything. You’re bringing up something from forever ago that’s unrelated because it’s still bothering you. Stop projecting.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
People like to say things like your being salty or a hater or so and so when they don't like someones view/opinion and the person who starts saying it first is most likely the one who is salty or a hater or a homer ect...

No one is expecting a player to play without a contract but to allow a Iron Man streak to continue like this is just pathetic. He hasn't played all his teams games this season so a Iron Man streak is over it doesn't matter why he missed the games.

Cal Ripken Jr. Iron Man streak was a big deal.

NHL saying Marleau has a active Iron Man streak that can potentially result in him setting NHL record is a pretty big deal.

Well as far as i know there was no rule in place for this. Iron man streak is just ’consecutive games’, doesn’t specify if it’s for every game you could play as an employee of a team or just every game in general. I would imagine no other player with that type of streak were in a similar situation, so it’s a first. And the league makes its own rules so if they say the streak lives on then the streak lives on. Like i said, i can see the justification for it. Player wants to play but he’s not getting a deal as a free agent, so it’s at least partly out of his control plus he’s not missing any games that are scheduled for him.

As long as it’s the same for other players moving forward.

I can see the frustration if you’ve made up your mind that the streak is every NHL game, period. But that’s not clearly stated anywhere. If it was, then it would be a no-brainer.

So clearly this is less about Marleau and more about your perception of the iron man streak, which right now isn’t in line with what the NHL thinks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad