Markov signs with AK Bars (KHL) [MOD WARNING POST 60]

Markov could help Montreal if he stay in Canadiens?

• Yes. This boy elite defenser

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • No. He s too old and too slow

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

Jul 6, 2016
It is an embarrassment to have one of our best defence men leave in such a manner, he was so close to a milestone in any NHL players career, to play 1000 games in the same uniform is a honourable accomplishment but I guess if you want loyalty you buy a dog. Shameful, Houle V2 happening under Bargainbin.

Can we wait to have a comment from Bergevin before judging him ?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
How come Markov prefers to play in the KHL than playing with some NHL strong teams that might win the next Stanley Cup ? The guy is a UFA. You know what it means ?

He wanted more to play in the next Olympics than playing in the NHL this coming season.

He can say whatever he wants now like "I would had been ready to sign a one-year contract". Too late.

Maybe because he was loyal to Montreal and only wanted to play and end his career here?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
How come Markov prefers to play in the KHL than playing with some NHL strong teams that might win the next Stanley Cup ? The guy is a UFA. You know what it means ?

He wanted more to play in the next Olympics than playing in the NHL this coming season.

He can say whatever he wants now like "I would had been ready to sign a one-year contract". Too late.
He said he couldn't see himself in another NHL jersey and that's why he didn't look around the NHL. The Olympics might play into it but take the man at his word, please.

void

Jan 5, 2006
and you guys never stop bashing Bergevin at each chance you get..

I don't see the point in your post

I don't see the point in YOUR post. How can you compare criticizing a GM for doing a lousy job to acting like a xenophobic piece of dumpster trash in order to defend said GM?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

I can probably answer her post : There are valid reasons to criticize Marc Bergevin, and there are also valid reasons to defend him. No need to dump on an ethnic group while doing one of these.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

The entire board praised the Radulov signing, because it was a good move. Everyone supported acquiring Petry, and also Vanek. Everyone was glad Therrien was finally fired.

I'll even say everyone was impressed and happy with the Drouin trade at the time. All he had to do is retain Radulov and Markov and sign someone else and we'd have a glorious off-season.

I don't see the point of so many Habs fans turning xenophobic to defend shambolic management. Racism is a worse look than being critical of bad management, in my opinion.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Then, he would had cut his demands last July 1st to do so .

The issue is that we don't really know what his "demands" were.
But we know what Radulov's "demands" were, and we know what happened.

Also, a deal that would've made him the 4th best-paid D-Man on this squad would've been utterly unreasonable.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Then, he would had cut his demands last July 1st to do so .

How do you know he didn't? Bergevin made final, non-negotiable offers to Radulov and Markov. One backfired on him and he reneged on the non-negotiable part for Radulov when it was too late. What makes you think Markov didn't lower his term ask but Bergevin was offering a small amount of money compared to his worth?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Why do people care so much about millionaire athletes, that wouldn't give you the time of day? Good riddance, time to move on.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
Markov said he was willing to take a 1 year deal and Habs refused. What did he sign for in Russia? I have an extremely hard time believing we couldn't have matched.

Markov said he was willing to take a 1 year deal but has it come out yet when he decided he was willing to make that compromise? Did he wait until the Habs were informing him that they were no longer interested or did it come before that? The rumor was always that he was sticking by his 2 year demand.

Jul 6, 2016
Markov said he was willing to take a 1 year deal but has it come out yet when he decided he was willing to make that compromise? Did he wait until the Habs were informing him that they were no longer interested or did it come before that? The rumor was always that he was sticking by his 2 year demand.

Maybe the Streit signing woke Markov up ?

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Well at one point you have to call it like it is.

What were the three big reasons Bergevin mentioned he acquired Drouin?

1)Skilled
2)Young
3)French

How can people say it's not a factor? (it's not the only one and I get that)

Do you have any evidence that this is indeed a coincidence that all our Russians are no longer on the team?

If not then our theories are equally as plausible as your own.

All I know is that it's strange that the team has been stagnating the last couple of years and all of a sudden when Bergevin is under pressure we no longer have Russians. (when we previously were a league leader in number of Russian players)

The coincidence is that they are both FREE AGENTS! MB is a racist because he didn't want to to pay 6-7 million with no movement clauses to a 39 year old and a player with a history of abandoning his team?

That is seriously ****ed up, even for haters.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Why do people care so much about millionaire athletes, that wouldn't give you the time of day? Good riddance, time to move on.

:handclap:Finally a voice of reason. Marky obviously wanted $6 million per year for two years even though he now says he would have signed for one. That would have been horrible cap management. We owed Marky nothing. Check his games played from 2009-2012 and his earnings. If anything, he owed the Habs. Let's move on and find a #1 center.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
:handclap:Finally a voice of reason. Marky obviously wanted $6 million per year for two years even though he now says he would have signed for one.

Obviously? Don't think we have the same definition for the word.

BTW wanting more but being willing to accept less is just normal.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The coincidence is that they are both FREE AGENTS! MB is a racist because he didn't want to to pay 6-7 million with no movement clauses to a 39 year old and a player with a history of abandoning his team?

That is seriously ****ed up, even for haters.

There's no evidence that MB is a racist and there's no evidence either that Markov wanted "6-7 million with no movement clauses" either, so can everyone just stop about this nonsense?

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
I wish I knew how the negotiations went, like some of you, so that I could have a strong opinion on what happened here.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Markov said he was willing to take a 1 year deal and Habs refused. What did he sign for in Russia? I have an extremely hard time believing we couldn't have matched.

Interestingly AkBars was after Radulov. So the day he signed in the NHL the money(and it probably is quite a chunk) could be reallocated. I doubt he will get all the Radulov money, but it's not like he is going to play for cheap.

A chat with Emelin at the wedding might also have occured. Emelin is a former AkBars player. And now both are former Habs.

Jul 6, 2016
I would had really like Markov to re-sign for one more season. Like I would had liked Radulov to re-sign. But that is part of the UFA business. I have nothing against them, and I am trying also to understand MB's stand in the process.

It is very rare that a UFA re-sign with his own club. Markov was an exception. he did it at least twice, I think. Just for that, I would had given him big $ for one more season.

Bottom line, it is just business.

Now, MB better deliver the goods and get the Club a bonafide #1 centerman or a bonafide 1st pairing d-man to play with Weber.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I said the same about the black players they got rid of really fast and I got trashed for it.
And I understand, a race is not similar as a culture.

I didn't pinpoint the situation to stir racisst comment or what so ever, just an observation of how quickly the situation changed. I'm very sorry if I stirred that kind of ceomments.
The Drouin/Sergachev trade made both Radulov and Markov less important for this team. Markov and Emelin were supposed to help Sergachev's addaptation to the league while Drouin directly replaces Radulov.

I love what guys like Markov and Radulov brought to this team. Both are true team players IMO, different from what Kovalev and Malakhov were for instance. Sorry to see them leave, but with a market cap, hard decisions need to be taken.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
When Vegas took Emelin: "More money to sign Markov, Radulov and trade/offer sheet for a #1C."

When Radulov signed with Dallas: "Not a big deal, more money to trade/offer sheet for a #1C and sign Markov"

Today: "We don't need Markov nor Radulov, more money to trade/offer sheet for a #1C."

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Anyone who believe MB will offer sheet anyone is living in la la land. MB middle name is rispek. He'll never do that. If i'm wrong i'll gladly admit it.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Now, MB better deliver the goods and get the Club a bonafide #1 centerman or a bonafide 1st pairing d-man to play with Weber.
And if he doesn't, like he hasn't for the past half-decade? You'll just go on arguing on his behalf.

So what's the difference?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad