Markov signs with AK Bars (KHL) [MOD WARNING POST 60]

Markov could help Montreal if he stay in Canadiens?

• Yes. This boy elite defenser

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • No. He s too old and too slow

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
What I don't understand is that everybody seems to agree that this team is in need of (some sort of) a rebuild, yet we are also so angry that Bergevin pulled out of a 2 year deal with an aging vet.

Markov is exactly the kind of player you want during a rebuild, where you're bound to have an awful lot of young players.

It's an absolute necessity to have some high end experience to tutor and set an example for entry level players.

A 2 year deal is ideal, and money should be no object since several higher salaried players would be gone to make the transition to younger, skilled players.

Markov felt disrespected simply because Bergevin did disrespect him. Any player with a shred of dignity and class would have given Bergevin the finger after he announced "first come, first served", pitting old friends against each other.

Bergevin lost Emelin for nothing, devalued Beaulieu, traded Sergachev, and treated Markov like crap.

We're so much better now with Alzner on a poisonous contract, and Benn and Schlemko stinking up the joint, right guys?

In the time frame starting with the Subban trade, Bergevin has been by far the worst GM in the league with one ignorant, suicidal move after another.

He thinks he's doing a great job. :laugh:

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Your point doesn't matter though.

Bergevin thought we needed one centre, and got Drouin. Bergevin was content going into the season with Drouin, Plekanec, Danault, Mitchell at our centres.

We still had $10M of cap space and a ****ty defense.

Not signing Markov was a horrible move.

My point does matter because Pleky is a pending UFA and Drouin was an option we would try at center. This does not mean we were not trying to shop Galchenyuk for a proven center or we were trying to acquire another center with the cap space we had. I'm not a fan of the moves Bergevin made this past off season but I know the reality of the situation and I'm not one of those ones to blame everything on him because we want him fired. He is not as dump as what is being presented, he is struggling to get the pieces we need and we likely need a change. He had his chance.

Big fish or no fish. I support this strategy and the Alzner signing was a mistake. Markov for one more year would of been nice but he's not the fish we needed to turn our team into a cup contender.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That sounds extremely unlikely, not sure what it will take to fire MB but it at least doesn't sound like he's going anywhere, anytime soon.

Not sure. If its true, we will not know anything about it as Molson will keep this plan to himself. I do recall reading an article (forget who wrote it) that Molson would be open to the idea of a new President. I don't think he is stupid and I do think he hears the criticism that he is tied to this mess. The real question is weather or not he is suborn and ignores the valid criticism.

I can see the future now... Molson steps up to the podium and says "this is on me" and we will fix this. Both Molson and Bergevin stay and Price is traded for Lundqvist a few weeks later :sarcasm: (Joking)

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Exactly!! He tossed 15 million dollars at Alzner,Plekanec and Shaw for this season and people still defend his decisions? He plays hardball with players he does not want and overpays the scrubs that he loves, is it even a debate after 6 years?
Not it is not debatable in the slightest. Its a fact of how he operates. To the detriment of the team is not debatable either.

Reactions: groovejuice

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Not it is not debatable in the slightest. Its a fact of how he operates. To the detriment of the team is not debatable either.
All he has done inn six years is prove he cannot do the job successfully. Apparently he gets to prove it over and over and over. Until the very last naive doubter on the planet clues in. His boss.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
The rebuild would not have been needed if you had Markov still playing and showing the game to Mete, Sergachev or Jerabek.
The rebuild would not have been needed if you had Radulov still playing on Top line. He helped carrying both Danault and Pacioretty (even more in playoffs)

Yet this GM told them he gave them his final offer. Take it or leave it.

Does Alzner make this team any better in comparison to the Ds we had over the last years? 'cause he's around for the next 4 years.
Does Schlemko make this team any better in comparison to the Ds we had over the last years? 'cause he's around for the next 2 years.

At least Petry seems to be playing better lately

You can have your opinion, but as far as I'm concerned this team lost all hope when Price played like a 3 year old for 20 games to start the season.

Even still you really think that we could have avoided a rebuild by signing a 40 year old Markov. Isn't that the kind of move we have been blasting the GM's for around here for years and years...

Reactions: PaulD

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
You can have your opinion, but as far as I'm concerned this team lost all hope when Price played like a 3 year old for 20 games to start the season.

You're right but I would add that most players were underachieving as well (and even in preseason)

It would probably be different if guys like Lehkonen didn't score all his goals vs Condon

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Markov is exactly the kind of player you want during a rebuild, where you're bound to have an awful lot of young players.

It's an absolute necessity to have some high end experience to tutor and set an example for entry level players.

A 2 year deal is ideal, and money should be no object since several higher salaried players would be gone to make the transition to younger, skilled players.

Markov felt disrespected simply because Bergevin did disrespect him. Any player with a shred of dignity and class would have given Bergevin the finger after he announced "first come, first served", pitting old friends against each other.

Bergevin lost Emelin for nothing, devalued Beaulieu, traded Sergachev, and treated Markov like crap.

We're so much better now with Alzner on a poisonous contract, and Benn and Schlemko stinking up the joint, right guys?

In the time frame starting with the Subban trade, Bergevin has been by far the worst GM in the league with one ignorant, suicidal move after another.

He thinks he's doing a great job. :laugh:

You have some fair points, but I think it was time for Markov to go and it's also time for this team to rebuild. I think signing Markov to what he was asking for would have been bad management.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
The funny thing is if Bergevin Signs him then the same people are on here bashing him for paying a washed up 40 year old. C'mon...admit it.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
You have some fair points, but I think it was time for Markov to go and it's also time for this team to rebuild. I think signing Markov to what he was asking for would have been bad management.

I'm one of the one's who thought we should have signed him, but I know full well what we would have been getting.

On our team, right not....he would be a number #2 (#1 with Weber down) and really that's not good for anybody who wants to make some noise in the playoffs. Part of the problem with Markov is he played too much, because the rest of the defense wasn't as strong. In a sense, that he was actually a harbinger of the state of our defense and when everybody had to move up a spot or two in the depth chart when he left, most everyone got exposed for what they were.

Its funny, had we signed him I think guys like Petry / Alzner would not have look that bad as would have been playing down against lesser opponents and someone like Mete probably goes back to junior. None of that fixes things right now, or going forward, but I guess it would have made the slide more palatable.

I still say that if they did sign Markov next year, he would be our 2nd best d man. And that's something that needs to be fixed asap.

But the guy in charge of that looked at this years d core, without Markov, and fully believed they were a better group.

Months later, i'm still speechless.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
He did before he was refused by borgevan.
I don’t know what went on in that negotiation but I do know that we have a yellow GM with a guy that plays hockey and thinks he can negociate a contract. The shit hit the fan.

Even if MB leaves, I’m not sure he is worth bringing back and now that he has moved back, he most probably won’t want to come back for 1 year.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It would only be right but I doubt Markov would ever consider it. He was really missed and he still has some productive hockey left in him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As an assistant coach?

I don't see it, the window has closed.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Markov will never be back with Bergevin as GM. Markov does not like this man.

the only chance was him getting fired this offseason.

I'm pretty sure Bergevin will be fired by the end of next season. Will Markov have anything left for the 2019-2020 season? Highly, highly unlikely. But I'd look into it if I were the new GM.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I'm pretty sure Bergevin will be fired by the end of next season. Will Markov have anything left for the 2019-2020 season? Highly, highly unlikely. But I'd look into it if I were the new GM.

Why on earth would we bring back a 40yr dman who has been out of the NHL for 2 years at that point? It would be like the Gonchar experiment.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Why on earth would we bring back a 40yr dman who has been out of the NHL for 2 years at that point? It would be like the Gonchar experiment.

Nah, actually not all defensemen are the same. Some, few, play well at 40. If you notice in my post it says IF management thinks he still has something to offer. ;)

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Nah, actually not all defensemen are the same. Some, few, play well at 40. If you notice in my post it says IF management thinks he still has something to offer. ;)

I've never seen a 40+ signing work out well on the blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->