Markov signs with AK Bars (KHL) [MOD WARNING POST 60]

Markov could help Montreal if he stay in Canadiens?

• Yes. This boy elite defenser

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • No. He s too old and too slow

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Subban thought he was bigger than the team, players and coaches got annoyed with his attitude, hence he was traded.

Unlike Gallagher, Galchenyuk shows up half the time.

Radulov was offered the same exact contract Dallas offered. He chose Dallas, and instead of saying he wanted to go play for a team that had more offensive talent (in Dallas), he then attempted to spin the story trying to blame Habs management.

Regardless, Radulov's contract is going to look ugly after 1-2 years. Thankfully we saved that money, and potentially pay a player like Tavares.

Habs would not be better with Markov in the lineup, other defensemen have chipped in this year.

Bergevin is not perfect, but he's not at fault when it comes to these stories. It's on the players.
HAHAHA. Radulov is one of the most committed on-ice players ever and even if his skills decline, his infectious charisma and leadership would still make him useful on the third line like Patrick Marleau. And he has a track record of playoff production.

Do you really think players don't scout teams? Justin Williams already turned us down, and there's no doubt that having a prick like Therrien led him to choose Washington. Tavares is gonna see that we have total shit sans the goalie and that if he wants glory, it's not gonna be in Montreal. Tavares knows shit. He's played on a shit team for a long time.

Cap hit is more important than term. There are many ways to expel talent who have reached their past due date, with even the most unmovable contracts being moved like the David Clarkson one. Sure, it takes a little luck, but this league usually always has something to give teams an out. And besides 6.25 million is a fair price now and will only be more cost effective as cap inflation continues.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Another point about recruiting Tavares, someone who has had to be the straw that stirs the drink for the Islanders before finally getting some help this year.

When you look across the league and you see that one team doesn't have a 50 pt scorer. As a scorer, as a person who wants to win, as an offensive minded guy who wants to play with other offensive minded players, are you really gonna pick them?

Let's see a realistic Tavares checklist:

Contenders: Nope
Good Weather: Nope
Fair Taxes: Nope
Offensive Players: Nope
Offensive Coach: Nope
Good Management: Nope
Good Prospect Pool: Nope
Puck Moving Defense: Nope
Good Defense: Nope.
Good Goaltending: Yes
Did they trade and treat one of my good friends like garbage: Yes.
A 2nd line center to take some heat off me?: Nope.
Money: Yes.
Trending in the right direction: Nope.

Like, how can anyone believe he's coming here?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Another point about recruiting Tavares, someone who has had to be the straw that stirs the drink for the Islanders before finally getting some help this year.

When you look across the league and you see that one team doesn't have a 50 pt scorer. As a scorer, as a person who wants to win, as an offensive minded guy who wants to play with other offensive minded players, are you really gonna pick them?

Oh yeah, Tavares knows Parenteau. No doubt he can phone that guy and be warned to stay away by Parenteau.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Markov not going to the Olympics. I know its not as exciting as PK Tavares friendship updates but seems like pretty big news in a Markov thread...

Looks like he was clearwd by the IOC but not invited by Russia. As if they have 6 better dmen not playing in the NHL. Nice way to repay a guy that comes home to finish his career and was always prepared to play for his country.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Could Markov represent Canada since he is officially a citizen?

Olympic Citizenship Rules
On the one hand, the Olympic system is hardly characterized by global free agency. On the other, it can be easily gamed. Under Rule 41 of the Olympic Charter, athletes must be nationals of the country for which they compete. This bright-line rule takes some countries off the table for purposes of Olympic affiliation. No accounts of anomalous Olympic citizenship are going to involve teams from Japan, China, or India, where citizenship is notorious-ly difficult to acquire after birth. The ordinary naturalization process (usu-ally including residency and language requirements) would pose a formidable barrier in others.
But an increasing number of countries fast-track naturalization where an individual is deemed to present exceptional benefits to the state. Dickson and Kwan didn’t have to reside in Belarus to acquire its citizenship, much less learn the language. Russia is another state that instantly extends citizenship to Olympic-grade athletes, as it did with Becky Hammon and J.R. Holden for its basketball team at Beijing and with South Korean-born Viktor Ahn (née Ahn Hyun-soo) for short track speed skating at Sochi. So the Olympic nationality requirement is not much of a barrier for countries that have flexible citizenship rules.
Where an athlete looks to transfer “sporting nationality” from one country to another after having competed at the international level, the Olympic Charter sets down a three-year “cooling off” period during which an athlete can-not represent his new country. But the cooling-off period is routinely waived by the country from which the athlete is seeking to transfer
(with some exceptions—Cuba, for example, is famously unwilling to waive the three-year ineligibility for athletes who have defected to the United States).

Citizenship and the Olympics

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

MB and MT will be our downfall for the next few years............sad. That is a list that will scare off anyone...

We are about to be tramped on as an organization.........thanks Geoff. Please sell this team back to George Gillette!!

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Markov's going to be a FA soon when Kazan Ak-Bars season ends. Kazan only has 6 regular season games + playoffs which means he could be available fairly soon. Would he have to go back through waivers if Mtl signed him to finish the 2017-18 season? Idea would be to lock him up early as a FA for 18-19.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Markov's going to be a FA soon when Kazan Ak-Bars season ends. Kazan only has 6 regular season games + playoffs which means he could be available fairly soon. Would he have to go back through waivers if Mtl signed him to finish the 2017-18 season? Idea would be to lock him up early as a FA for 18-19.
Didn't he sign a two-year deal?

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
At this point, unless we are trading our vets for junior age players that Markov can take under his wings for a couple of years, i will sign Markov only until the end of the season so he can reach 1000 NHL games.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Subban thought he was bigger than the team, players and coaches got annoyed with his attitude, hence he was traded.

Unlike Gallagher, Galchenyuk shows up half the time.

Radulov was offered the same exact contract Dallas offered. He chose Dallas, and instead of saying he wanted to go play for a team that had more offensive talent (in Dallas), he then attempted to spin the story trying to blame Habs management.

Regardless, Radulov's contract is going to look ugly after 1-2 years. Thankfully we saved that money, and potentially pay a player like Tavares.

Habs would not be better with Markov in the lineup, other defensemen have chipped in this year.

Bergevin is not perfect, but he's not at fault when it comes to these stories. It's on the players.

Do you get group insurance working with the Habs PR department?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

yes he would have to go through waivers to play this season.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Don't know why fans get so upset when a player leaves as UFA. Why is "FREE" so difficult to comprehend?

Canadians problem was when Markov and Radulov didn't sign for the the allotted 12.5m, the Canadian spend 10.1m on two downgrades....Alzner and Drouin and it also cost them young cheap potential stud Sergachov. Terrible asset/cap management.

BadHabit

Mar 29, 2006
Canada
He’s signed for 2 seasons and why would he come back to play for this **** team?
There's literally a less than 1% chance of this happening considering:

1) He wasn't wanted by the team earlier for a price he thought was fair.
2) He's made his money and I'm sure doesn't reaaallly need any more.
3) This is a tire fire of a team.
4) Signing him would be Bergevin admitting he was wrong.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In the I know it will never happen but if the Habs were to clean house, meaning MB, CJ, etc... all gone. I would gladly bring Markov back on a one year deal or maybe even 2 year. WTF do we have to lose, he could mentor Mete, Juulsen, etc.. while we trade guys like Petry, Weber. Hopefully he brings his teammate Vladimir Tkachev with him, go back to having some skilled Russians on this team again!

Reactions: ArtPeur and the

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
In the I know it will never happen but if the Habs were to clean house, meaning MB, CJ, etc... all gone. I would gladly bring Markov back on a one year deal or maybe even 2 year. WTF do we have to lose, he could mentor Mete, Juulsen, etc.. while we trade guys like Petry, Weber. Hopefully he brings his teammate Vladimir Tkachev with him, go back to having some skilled Russians on this team again!
Or he could be like what Eric Bolton was in New York.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

If he doesn't come over for next season, I would even consider getting him back for 19/20 only so he can retire as a Hab player (one-game contract). I don't remember the NHL allowing those kind of contracts but I would say "**** you, we do it anyway"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->