Markov signs with AK Bars (KHL) [MOD WARNING POST 60]

Markov could help Montreal if he stay in Canadiens?

• Yes. This boy elite defenser

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • No. He s too old and too slow

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
*****?

Oh, the scoring leader of the Stanley Cup Finals that ended 6 weeks ago wasn't from Moose Jaw, you know...

And could have just as easily been awarded his second Conn Smythe.

I was in the Forum the day the Habs drafted Tretiak, shoulda heard the roar. (a shame politics got in the way of him wearing the CH).

Russians would be welcome on my team.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
And could have just as easily been awarded his second Conn Smythe.

I was in the Forum the day the Habs drafted Tretiak, shoulda heard the roar. (a shame politics got in the way of him wearing the CH).

Russians would be welcome on my team.

Hell, any player that would make my team better would be welcome (and Markov certainly fits the bill).

E82

Feb 3, 2015
Insinuating MB is a racist is why people make fun of some of the more negative minds here fyi

I know you're late to the thread but nobody called MB a racist. In fact there was racists posts made by people against Russians.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Anything to try and concoct some obviously ******** defense for le Roi du Bargain.

Surprised such Xenophobic comments are allowed on here. No other nationality gets bashed like the Russians. Its sad.

Bargain Bazzare dollar store needs to go...but unfortunately as long as that turd of a beer brewer is still owner we will forever pick top 20 and never make it past the 2nd round

turds, all of them turds

And any other poster who believes russians or blacks were or are the problems then they better look deep at the past years and look at WHO doesnt show up during playoffs time...cough cough captain america cough cough

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Insinuating MB is a racist is why people make fun of some of the more negative minds here fyi
Plenty of posters here are rallying against Russian players, we don't need to look at the guy who got rid of five Russian players in one go for such insinuations.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
*****?

Oh, the scoring leader of the Stanley Cup Finals that ended 6 weeks ago wasn't from Moose Jaw or Iberville, you know...

You are misreading my point. Sure Malkin is one of the best centers in the game today. They also have another center on that team to I seem to recall and I think he's the Captain maybe?

What other Russians are leading their NHL teams to Stanley cups? I'm sure there are others? Why the hell can't Russia win anything internationally when it counts over the last few years? Because they are very very talented individually but they are typically not great leaders. This is my point and maybe the Habs will be better off.

But carry on with defending Russians and how talented they are. Not my argument.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

Well at one point you have to call it like it is.

What were the three big reasons Bergevin mentioned he acquired Drouin?

1)Skilled
2)Young
3)French

How can people say it's not a factor? (it's not the only one and I get that)

Do you have any evidence that this is indeed a coincidence that all our Russians are no longer on the team?

If not then our theories are equally as plausible as your own.

All I know is that it's strange that the team has been stagnating the last couple of years and all of a sudden when Bergevin is under pressure we no longer have Russians. (when we previously were a league leader in number of Russian players)

Last edited:

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Tax-free 3M Euro is probably more than whatever he'd have gotten in Montreal, all things considered.

I would've easily given him 1 year, $5M. Call me crazy. There's nothing available this year that will take up that cap space, so why the heck not?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would've easily given him 1 year, $5M. Call me crazy. There's nothing available this year that will take up that cap space, so why the heck not?

1 yr/5M for Markov is probably the low-end for a fair deal for both parties.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
You are misreading my point. Sure Malkin is one of the best centers in the game today. They also have another center on that team to I seem to recall and I think he's the Captain maybe?

What other Russians are leading their NHL teams to Stanley cups? I'm sure there are others? Why the hell can't Russia win anything internationally when it counts over the last few years? Because they are very very talented individually but they are typically not great leaders. This is my point and maybe the Habs will be better off.

But carry on with defending Russians and how talented they are. Not my argument.
Really great look guys.

Russian international teams have won a few WJCs in recent years and gotten to finals and performed well. Malkin and other Russians have been excellent in the playoffs.

But since the HAbs have purged themselves of Russian players, so will BargainBinsters turn on Russian players without a critical thought. I love seeing rampant xenophobia, really makes us look good.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
*****?

Oh, the scoring leader of the Stanley Cup Finals that ended 6 weeks ago wasn't from Moose Jaw or Iberville, you know...

They're not ALL bad you know, some of their best friends are bla... I mean Russian.

Calling all bozos, what country was heartless Dwight King from?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The reason teams avoid Russian players to me is the KHL factor.

Bergevin is the same guy who gave Semin his last NHL chance when no one else would, so don't why the thread went in another direction.

Facts are facts.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Really great look guys.

Russian international teams have won a few WJCs in recent years and gotten to finals and performed well. Malkin and other Russians have been excellent in the playoffs.

But since the HAbs have purged themselves of Russian players, so will BargainBinsters turn on Russian players without a critical thought. I love seeing rampant xenophobia, really makes us look good.

Hey Whisky, I don't agree with your over-negativism regarding Shea Weber specifically, but you are spot on pointing out how some of the GM's defenders spew vile garbage to justify bad hockey moves.

MB really has to go.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hey Whiskey, I would've liked to come up with the post above, but Baseball Coach already wrote it.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Exactly, why do we need all this cap space on top of Plekanec's wasted money? I'll never get Bergevin.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Markov said he was willing to take a 1 year deal and Habs refused. What did he sign for in Russia? I have an extremely hard time believing we couldn't have matched.

Bergevin went all "final offer, no negotiations" even when Markov was willing to come down to one year. This is on Bergevin.

Markov probably could have gotten another NHL contract but is ending his NHL career as a Hab. It sucks it has to end this way.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

On a one-year 35+ contract, we could also have done "the Iginla thing" and crafted a heavily bonus-laden deal:

2.0M annual salary just for signing
2.0M in potential games played bonus, being $50k per game over 40
2.0M in potential points registered bonus, being $100k per point over 30

Jul 6, 2016
Well at one point you have to call it like it is.

What were the three big reasons Bergevin mentioned he acquired Drouin?

1)Skilled
2)Young
3)French

How can people say it's not a factor? (it's not the only one and I get that)

Do you have any evidence that this is indeed a coincidence that all our Russians are no longer on the team?

If not then our theories are equally as plausible as your own.

All I know is that it's strange that the team has been stagnating the last couple of years and all of a sudden when Bergevin is under pressure we no longer have Russians. (when we previously were a league leader in number of Russian players)

Is it allowed for the Habs to have more than ONE (Danault) French speaking Quebecer ? It seems that only teams like Pittsburg, TB and Philly can for posters on this board.... :shakehead

As for the Russian factor, I think you are all in left field... MB traded all Canadian boys like Subban, Beaulieu, Weise, Desharnais, and the list goes on...

void

Jan 5, 2006
Bergevin defenders now turning to xenophobia in order to protect their almighty leader. It just never ends.

Jul 6, 2016
Bergevin went all "final offer, no negotiations" even when Markov was willing to come down to one year. This is on Bergevin.

Markov probably could have gotten another NHL contract but is ending his NHL career as a Hab. It sucks it has to end this way.

How come Markov prefers to play in the KHL than playing with some NHL strong teams that might win the next Stanley Cup ? The guy is a UFA. You know what it means ?

He wanted more to play in the next Olympics than playing in the NHL this coming season.

He can say whatever he wants now like "I would had been ready to sign a one-year contract". Too late.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

It is an embarrassment to have one of our best defence men leave in such a manner, he was so close to a milestone in any NHL players career, to play 1000 games in the same uniform is a honourable accomplishment but I guess if you want loyalty you buy a dog. Shameful, Houle V2 happening under Bargainbin.

Jul 6, 2016
I have had posts deleted for much less than some things I have read here, there is definitely a double standard. If you mention anything about favouritism for a "local" player it is instantly deleted but anyone else is fair game.

Are you kidding ? How about 50 threads X 1000 posts bashing David Desharnais ?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Hey Whisky, I don't agree with your over-negativism regarding Shea Weber specifically, but you are spot on pointing out how some of the GM's defenders spew vile garbage to justify bad hockey moves.

MB really has to go.

Hey Whiskey, I would've liked to come up with the post above, but Baseball Coach already wrote it.
The sleazy xenophobia really boils my blood.

As for my negativism, well, Shea came in an inopportune circumstance when the GM decided to retain a horrible coach and saddle us with Shea for 10 years to boot. Shea has a lot of baggage in terms of his contract too and was traded for a player I didn't love but thought was our best skater. There's no way I can bring myself to like Shea Weber unless he really steps up. He hasn't yet, sorry to say. He's emblematic of BargainBin's tenure. Besides, most of my criticism of Shea comes from the criticism that people tossed at Subban. You, BaseballCoach, repeatedly said Subban has peaked and has physically slowed down. Well he's still more productive than Weber and if PK has peaked than Weber has definitely peaked (had his lowest point totals since 2008!) too. I know it's lame to rag on our own player but I don't see Shea as really being a Hab, I see him as being a BargainBin player - when BargainBin is gone, I hope so will Shea.

Anyway - everyone complains about how bad HFHabs has been. I don't think it's any more negative than when Gauthier was mucking it up in his last season. The difference is that we were pretty much united against Gauthier (full disclosure: I was nominally pro-Gauthier (and wrong!) because I thought he was hamstrung by Gainey's moves) and it was kinda fun to all rip on Gauthier.

BargainBin has some diehard fans and that's where the discontent comes from. Some fans openly state they'll be contrarian just to 'balance the scales' and other fans refuse to criticise management in any serious way because they think criticising management is equal to not being a fan of the team. It's not a problem, but seeing people whine about it is annoying. Trying to force rule changes where 'negativity' isn't allowed is annoying. Seeing people twist themselves to say "oh no, they might be FAs but they'll re-sign" and then spew criticism at the haters... only to see the players leave and the poster disappear is annoying.

The rampant xenophobia against 'greedy' Radulov and Markov is annoying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad