Markov signs with AK Bars (KHL) [MOD WARNING POST 60]

Markov could help Montreal if he stay in Canadiens?

• Yes. This boy elite defenser

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • No. He s too old and too slow

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Was 7th last year in the NHL for primary assist for a D....of course he can still play and help the Habs who can't score.
This should have been enough of a argument to keep him. Yeah he's old, so what? If you give me the choice between a good old player and a bad young one I'll take the old one, thanks

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I think Markov gets eaten alive at 38, and you can't keep a guy around just for the PP any more ala Gonchar. Markov Petry would be a disaster, Petry is a trainwreck in my opinion.

Keep in mind I'm hoping this team has an awful season, so MB takes a hike and we rebuild, and I still don't want Markov here unless it was for very very cheap.
So you're saying that in the few months between the end of last season and the start of this season, Markov would suddenly not be a top four NHL defenseman anymore? His game has never relied on his speed or physicality, so I don't think him being 38 is a huge detriment to the quality of his play.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
So you're saying that in the few months between the end of last season and the start of this season, Markov would suddenly not be a top four NHL defenseman anymore? His game has never relied on his speed or physicality, so I don't think him being 38 is a huge detriment to the quality of his play.

Markov literally had a better PPG than Weber last season... And was the team's best defenseman for large chunks of the season.

If he can't be a top 4 in the NHL anymore, it says a lot more about our overall defense than it says about Markov, because last year he was a top pairing guy for us.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Yeah, things go down hill fast after 38 :(

I suspect he would have been a 25pt player this year, and the money wouldn't make sense, according to what MB said he wanted. Again, I want a rebuild , so the KHL is the best place for him.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, things go down hill fast after 38 :(

I suspect he would have been a 25pt player this year, and the money wouldn't make sense, according to what MB said he wanted. Again, I want a rebuild , so the KHL is the best place for him.

And why would you suspect that? He's still an incredibly smart playmaker, and that has always been his bread and butter, especially on the PP.

He has been slow for years, no reason to think it'd be all that different now that he's a year older. He's been more or less the same statistically for the past 4 seasons, and it didn't look like he was regressing last year. He's also doing pretty damn good apparently in the KHL.

I really have a hard time understanding how some people come up with things such as the bolded. I just don't know how you can come to that conclusion knowing what we know about Markov.

Reactions: Habs178

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don't get why people get so hung up on our defensive play when it's our offense that stinks. And no matter if Markov is not the defender he used to be, on average he still tilts the ice in our favor by helping our transition and offense.

Oh noes! Markov is gonna make defensive mistakes.. jeeze but at least we wouldn't have such a putrid transotion and offense.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't get why people get so hung up on our defensive play when it's our offense that stinks. And no matter if Markov is not the defender he used to be, on average he still tilts the ice in our favor by helping our transition and offense.

Oh noes! Markov is gonna make defensive mistakes.. jeeze but at least we wouldn't have such a putrid transotion and offense.

The defence has stunk too and the offense will likely progress to being around league average, if not better.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal

I'm totally on board with you on that!

Too many fans claim on X player : he's not good defensively, he's not a 2-way player.

Who the fu** cares? That's the problem.. we have too many ''good defensively'' players and not enough talent up front.

A bunch of supposed ''2-way players'' give the team that we have, low score-no offense team that you know the game is lost at 80% if we let 2 goals in as we can't score 3 goals in a game.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
And why would you suspect that? He's still an incredibly smart playmaker, and that has always been his bread and butter, especially on the PP.

He has been slow for years, no reason to think it'd be all that different now that he's a year older. He's been more or less the same statistically for the past 4 seasons, and it didn't look like he was regressing last year. He's also doing pretty damn good apparently in the KHL.

I really have a hard time understanding how some people come up with things such as the bolded. I just don't know how you can come to that conclusion knowing what we know about Markov.

You have a hard time with people expressing predictions on point production? You are on the wrong forum, following the wrong sport, if that bothers you. Is it not reasonable for me to deduce his point total falling as he approaches 40, and gets his ice time cut back , like all older players do? Its the edge of a cliff for players, 38+ , it usually doesn't end well and history has shown this time and time again.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm disappointed with Markov leaving. You can't predict when he will fall of the cliff, so I would have given him 1 year deals until he couldn't show it anymore.

I know he wanted two years, so maybe that was a deal breaker, but I just hope the habs did whatever they could to convince him on the 1 year plan. I seem to recall reading somewhere that he was eventually open to a 1 year deal, but I can't remember for sure. In that's case, he should be in a habs uniform right now.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
There's only one real reason Markov isn't a Hab this year.

It's not that he's too old or too slow. It's because Marc Bergevin and his $8M in cap space screwed up what should have been an easy signing. Andrei wasn't about to wait by the phone all summer with no guarantees for MB to make up his mind so he made up his mind for him. And rightly so. After 16 seasons I wouldn't have waited around either for that smug piece of work to tell me whether or not I had a job.

Reactions: Et le But

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
Yes it was a one year contract. Play it out and show your worth another year. MB offered him a contract, but Markov took his sweet ass time about signing it, and when Markov didn't get a better offer he wanted to sing in Montreal. It was too late by then. I agree with MB taking the offer off the table. The Habs were loyal to him all of his career. He should have signed when he had the chance and finish his career out in Montreal. Instead he took to long to think about it. This was already mentioned on 690 when MB was on the show, and he explained the situation about Markov.

As far as Radulov goes. I blame MB for that BS.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bergevin backed himself into a corner in which we needed Markov's services even if he falls off midseason by trading away Subban for a Dman who depends on others to generate production; Weber needs a disher and is not a disher in his own right. If Bergevin wanted to win this season, he had to surrender term to Markov. This anemic Habs offense was totally expected by me since part of the reason our grinders looked like heroes was precisely because of Markov on the back end.

Bergevin should have caved since no other defenseman on this roster is capable of elevating offense for his teammates. Markov was the only consistent 50 assist-producing Dman available to us for 5.75 million, even with the risk of "falling off" available to us at a decent price.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Give whatever Markov want and give the remaining to Radulov was what could have saved Bergevin's legacy.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yes it was a one year contract. Play it out and show your worth another year. MB offered him a contract, but Markov took his sweet ass time about signing it, and when Markov didn't get a better offer he wanted to sing in Montreal. It was too late by then. I agree with MB taking the offer off the table. The Habs were loyal to him all of his career. He should have signed when he had the chance and finish his career out in Montreal. Instead he took to long to think about it. This was already mentioned on 690 when MB was on the show, and he explained the situation about Markov.

As far as Radulov goes. I blame MB for that BS.
Ohhh god...and he was not loyal to the Habs his whole career? Has not been the Habs best dman for a decade now? If you believe MB I don't know what to say. I mean he is the guy that said he had a five year plan, we are in what year 7?, and he also said the defense is not worse than last season.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/report-bad-fallout-between-markov-and-bergevin

A further comment on the interview raised some alarms. The questioning was heading in the direction of the signing-that-never-was, and the veteran rearguard shut that conversation down immediately.
“Actually, I don’t want to talk about that, especially in this situation right now. If we open everything (up), it’s going to be even harder for them, so I don’t want to explain right now,’’ Markov said.
It sure sounds like something happened here beyond Marc Bergevin and Markov not being able to agree on numbers. He makes it sound like there's a bigger story here that would only stir another media frenzy in Montreal.

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/report-bad-fallout-between-markov-and-bergevin

A further comment on the interview raised some alarms. The questioning was heading in the direction of the signing-that-never-was, and the veteran rearguard shut that conversation down immediately.
“Actually, I don’t want to talk about that, especially in this situation right now. If we open everything (up), it’s going to be even harder for them, so I don’t want to explain right now,’’ Markov said.
It sure sounds like something happened here beyond Marc Bergevin and Markov not being able to agree on numbers. He makes it sound like there's a bigger story here that would only stir another media frenzy in Montreal.

That's a bit of the reach. Sounds like Markov doesn't want to talk about the contract negotiation (or lack thereof) in order to cause one less distraction to this disaster of a team/season. Markov just being a stand-up guy to his teammates even when he's playing half way around the world.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Markov should speak out.

Burn this management into the ground.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Markov should speak out.

Burn this management into the ground.

It can't be a coincidence MB exiled all the Russians this offseason

I'm going to say it has something to do with that but with the semi-Russian Chucky still there (for now) it would put that much more pressure on him if Marky spoke out

Reactions: Doc McKenna

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Bergevin backed himself into a corner in which we needed Markov's services even if he falls off midseason by trading away Subban for a Dman who depends on others to generate production; Weber needs a disher and is not a disher in his own right. If Bergevin wanted to win this season, he had to surrender term to Markov. This anemic Habs offense was totally expected by me since part of the reason our grinders looked like heroes was precisely because of Markov on the back end.

Bergevin should have caved since no other defenseman on this roster is capable of elevating offense for his teammates. Markov was the only consistent 50 assist-producing Dman available to us for 5.75 million, even with the risk of "falling off" available to us at a decent price.

Read somewhere that PK, Markov and Beaulieu assisted on 59% of Patches goals the last 3 years. Don't know any more about the number.

I assume MB had no clue or interest as he seems anti numbers.

You are correct in my view, MB was in a corner and had no option but to sign Markov for the good of the team. But this man's ego would not let him just accept he needed to capitulate and sign Markov. It became personal, and you are talking about Andrei Markov that this guy got all " take it or leave it" with. What a classless ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad