Markov signs with AK Bars (KHL) [MOD WARNING POST 60]

Markov could help Montreal if he stay in Canadiens?

• Yes. This boy elite defenser

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • No. He s too old and too slow

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
So who do you think will take him when he goes on waivers? The leafs, bruins? They won't even have enough capspace to take in the ~5million he will want for his contract.
Even if they did, I doubt Markov will agree to play for them... Not to mention that the team taking in Markov will send a pretty bad message to other players in the league since they it make them look like a classless organization.

Teams don't even dare offersheet players from other team out of respect... Why would they steal a soon to be 39 year old who played his whole career in Montreal...

If it's a one year deal it will be heavily prorated especially if it's around the deadline , so there are literally no cap concerns. Any team that needs an extra top 4-5 D with excellent hockey IQ and mentorship skills (the "quiet leader" type) , will take a chance on him. We are talking about a guy who can still play at a fairly high level and has 18 years of NHL experience.

The main issue in Montreal is that we needed someone to be a top 2 beast and Markov isn't that anymore. Anytime he would play too much over the course of a streak of games his play would deteriorate. However when playing a secondary role he was very productive.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
If it's a one year deal it will be heavily prorated especially if it's around the deadline , so there are literally no cap concerns. Any team that needs an extra top 4-5 D with excellent hockey IQ and mentorship skills (the "quiet leader" type) , will take a chance on him. We are talking about a guy who can still play at a fairly high level and has 18 years of NHL experience.

The main issue in Montreal is that we needed someone to be a top 2 beast and Markov isn't that anymore. Anytime he would play too much over the course of a streak of games his play would deteriorate. However when playing a secondary role he was very productive.

He refused to sign with any other team this off season. That hasn't changed. A team claiming him off waivers would be doing so to prevent Montreal from having him as opposed to having a top 4-5 dman since he won't play or be disgruntled at best. It would take a huge set of balls for a GM to do that to a guy that has played 990 games for the same team.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
He refused to sign with any other team this off season. That hasn't changed. A team claiming him off waivers would be doing so to prevent Montreal from having him as opposed to having a top 4-5 dman since he won't play or be disgruntled at best. It would take a huge set of balls for a GM to do that to a guy that has played 990 games for the same team.

During the off-season his choice was playing for another team or playing in the Olympics.
After the Olympics his choice may be different.

Jul 6, 2016

On a second pairing with Petry: yes

But who would had played with Weber, anyway ?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
On a second pairing with Petry: yes

But who would had played with Weber, anyway ?

Yeah I think he would have been great to have for at least one more year. I would have been ok with giving him 1x5.5 with no bonus non-sense.

There is no denying that he can't be relied on to play big minutes it clearly impacts his game at the end of the season and the playoffs.

I still think he makes this team better. Habs could have been a contender this year (imo) with 1 year of Markov and Radulov signed.

I know I am going to catch some flake for this but just thinking at what could have been makes me mad.

Dump Plekanec and voila :

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Martinsen /DLR - Mitchell - McCarron

Alzner - Weber
Markov - Petry
Schlemko - Benn
Davidson

Price
Montoya

Best lineup we could of had since 86 imo, this fuels my hate for our GM.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

HabsRenegade

This is fine
Nov 8, 2004
Montreal
Dream scenario: Markov comes back at the end of the season to help the team make a last push for the playoffs and helps us get to SC Finals before retiring.

Hey, what can I say, I love me a good hollywood ending.

Probable scenario: He stays in Kazan and we make a 1st-2nd round exit.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Dream scenario: Markov comes back at the end of the season to help the team make a last push for the playoffs and helps us get to SC Finals before retiring.

Hey, what can I say, I love me a good hollywood ending.

Probable scenario: He stays in Kazan and we make a 1st-2nd round exit.

He'd almost definitely be taken on waivers. That, and I don't believe he's eligible to play in the playoffs if he signs after the deadline.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
He'd almost definitely be taken on waivers. That, and I don't believe he's eligible to play in the playoffs if he signs after the deadline.

He could be picked off of waivers but once again, it would be a dickish move by a GM that would most certainly leave himself open to retribution via the seldom used offersheet somewhere down the road. A 39 year old moody guy that played 990 games with the same team is not someone you scoop up off of waivers unless you want to create chaos in your own locker room. As far as eligibility I believe rule 13.23 says that there is no deadline.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
if he is taken on waiverd does he have to report and play?

if markov made it clear he wont play for any other team that picks him up might scare off a team.

otoh i can see a team like the leafs taking him to prevent the habs from getting him espevially if we were meeting them in the 1st round.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
if he is taken on waiverd does he have to report and play?

if markov made it clear he wont play for any other team that picks him up might scare off a team.

otoh i can see a team like the leafs taking him to prevent the habs from getting him espevially if we were meeting them in the 1st round.

He does not have to report but because of his age, the team will be on the hook for the cap hit regardless.

The Leafs could do it as a preventative measure but I just can't envision a scenario where a management team would be so callous. In that same vein, what's to stop Marky from making a bad play here and there to sabotage the team? There's really no upside to taking him off waivers unless you're sure he wants to play on your team.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He does not have to report but because of his age, the team will be on the hook for the cap hit regardless.

The Leafs could do it as a preventative measure but I just can't envision a scenario where a management team would be so callous. In that same vein, what's to stop Marky from making a bad play here and there to sabotage the team? There's really no upside to taking him off waivers unless you're sure he wants to play on your team.

Exactly. So if Markov just comes out and says I will only report to MTL then there is no reason why another team would take him.

Unless they want to sabatoge their own team and image across the league. Lets waist cap space and **** off other GM's for a player who won't even play for my team during the playoffs. Would make no sense to me.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Exactly. So if Markov just comes out and says I will only report to MTL then there is no reason why another team would take him.

Unless they want to sabatoge their own team and image across the league. Lets waist cap space and **** off other GM's for a player who won't even play for my team during the playoffs. Would make no sense to me.

Nabokov tried that, Snow suspended him and that was it. And if he didn't report to the Isles, Nabby's 1 year contract was still valid for the next season. Markov is not coming back this year with the Habs. A team fighting for a playoff spot would certainly claimed him and suspend him if he refused to report.

Jul 6, 2016
Nabokov tried that, Snow suspended him and that was it. And if he didn't report to the Isles, Nabby's 1 year contract was still valid for the next season. Markov is not coming back this year with the Habs. A team fighting for a playoff spot would certainly claimed him and suspend him if he refused to report.

After the Olympic Games, Markov might be tempted to come back to the NHL with a contending team. Wathever that team is.

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

can a team claim him and then trade him or would this be after TDL?

I could imagine habs working out a deal with ARZ/COL (who I figure will be at the bottom of the league) to take Markov and then trade him to us for a pick or something.

I get a feeling habs leafs playoff will be happening and Lou will claim Markov just to send him to Robidas island to keep him away from us. Wouldn't put it past the leafs either with all their ******** moves they have been accused of doing lately. Seems like a leafs thing to do, keep talent away from other teams and prevent them from playing hockey just because they got deep pockets.

Jul 6, 2016
can a team claim him and then trade him or would this be after TDL?

I could imagine habs working out a deal with ARZ/COL (who I figure will be at the bottom of the league) to take Markov and then trade him to us for a pick or something.

I get a feeling habs leafs playoff will be happening and Lou will claim Markov just to send him to Robidas island to keep him away from us. Wouldn't put it past the leafs either with all their ******** moves they have been accused of doing lately. Seems like a leafs thing to do, keep talent away from other teams and prevent them from playing hockey just because they got deep pockets.

What do you mean ?

That Robidas is healthy enough to play at NHL level, still ? I strongly doubt it.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
What do you mean ?

That Robidas is healthy enough to play at NHL level, still ? I strongly doubt it.

that was a joke from last year when Robidas and Lupul were sent away from the team.

Lupul came out the other day on instagram and accused the leafs of saying he failed his physical when he didn't. Didn't follow up on the thread so not sure if Lupul retracted or what.

And I think Robidas is retired now and working in the front office for the leafs but a lot of posters were jokingly saying that his front office job was compensation for keeping his mouth shut last year and diapering during the season.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Scale of 1-10 how happy do you think Markov is now that he avoided this shit show of a team Bergevin has assembled?

I still think Markov would play for the habs right now if he still had the choice. He also would help stabilize the defense at least while Mete gained another year of experience. Adding Markov right now would be HUGE. Markov would still be the most skilled dman on the team. The issue is his stamina which would need to be monitored and regulated which is normal for a 38yr old.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Any word on his salary yet? We know what he wanted and what MB was willing to offer. Just wondering how much more or less he is getting for playing in the KHL.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If his issue was that he needed to figure out where he was playing before September so his kids knew where they were going to school, he's not going to pull them out of school just to play in the NHL again in the winter. He would have just stayed in Montreal and waited for a deal.

Reactions: MaxPacwhereishe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->