TSN: Markov signing discussions

Habsterix*

I'm expecting $18-20M for 4 (argh) years with most of the pay front loaded to the maximum allowed by the new CBA.

I'd rather see two years for more money, or three years max.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So Bergevin signed Pacioretty and Price to 6 year deals which is a good length (I prefer 5 years max, but that's just me)

But he signed Desharnais, Drewiski, Briere, Emelin, Bouillon etc to contracts that are at least or more than market value and for longer terms than he should have. Considering Bouillon was multiple one year deals doesn't change the fact he shouldn't have been re-signed to begin with so technically it is one year longer than he should have been :laugh:

The point I made still stands that Bergevin does not sign players for what we usually feel is appropriate term or dollars.

Drewiske makes 0.637 mil average. I think that's pretty far...

As for Boullion, giving a 2 year deal is not the same as 2 one year deals. You can reassess after every year. I don't mind boullion, I mind his playing time.

hogtownhabsfan*

MB going to do his usual horrible contract. I expect Markov to get 6 million or something ridiculous.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
MB going to do his usual horrible contract. I expect Markov to get 6 million or something ridiculous.

That's less than the percentage of his current contract adjusted to the cap. Considering the market for PMD, if Markov takes anything under 6 he's giving a hometown discount, and even 6 would probably not be his lowest offer.

I'd be happy with his current contract.

Last edited:

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
I'm glad to hear this news, some people doesn't seems to see how imporant Markov is on this team.

Let's hope that with the money he is saving by doing the negotiations himself he will take a discount !

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Let's not forget the fact that at this stage in his career, he could opt for getting a better chance at the cup on a different team. This stuff plays a role in such decisions. I think he likes playing here more than people want to admit, not just the $$$.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I have always like Andrei. Great Hab! I would love seeing him signed. Tough decision for Bergevin as he has three young D knocking on the door.

Habsoil

Mar 24, 2012
Fort mac
Dang it Markov!
I was all for trading him to the highest bidder, now not so much!
Great to see a player so dedicated to the habs!
Only hope he's willing to take a hometown discount!

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
if the 4 years rumour is correct, then I'm very happy. Even if he is surpassed by other Dmen in the ES usage during the next few seasons, Markov can literally make or break a powerplay. His vision, shot, passing, and creativity have not diminished at all and I doubt he's going to have any further significant drop off in mobility (unless he somehow plays way longer than expected)

4-5 mil is fine by me, and that's not being sentimental. This guy is an asset, a very good brain to have in the room to help others think the game better (24Ch has good evidence of this). He's a leader, a professional, and clearly he loves the city and the team.

Sign him Marc. We have no one to replace him and if/when our D prospects make the jump, having Markov will be such a boost to both their development, and the team's performance.

HockeyF3ind

Jun 19, 2007
New York
4 yr deal at 4.5M AAV

6-5-4-3

with the Cap potentially going up to as high as 90+ mill the contract cap hit will be negligible in the latter years.

GSalty

Dec 30, 2013
So much disrespect for Markov in this thread. I can understand hoping for a hometown discount, but $4mil/year? Even $5mil/year is an insult.

HABSINCE76

May 31, 2009
Markov is a good guy...don't be disrespectful and expect him to accept anything less than what he is worth which is between 6-7 per.He will accept less for a 4 year term id imagine but not any where in the 4-5.75 range so stop dreaming people.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Not a chance you get Markov for less than 5 mill. He may be getting older but he's still an outstanding D man. He could get 7 mill from a team for sure.

Balk

Healthy Scratch
Neither am I. The agent works for himself, not the player. Since they take a very small percentage of the money, they do all they can to drive up the AAV.

Now, it seems nice, as a player, to have the maximum possible amount of money, but I beg to differ.

Scenario #1: You make 8-9M a year for 10 years, but you have to play with average linemates (or D partner).

Scenario #2: You make 6M a year for 10 years, and the team can afford to spend an extra 2-3M to get you a better linemate (or D partner).

It takes only 2 or 3 guys on a team to agree to go for #2 and boom! The team can spend an extra 6, 7, 8M to get quality players for supporting roles.

I'd rather earn 60M on a perennial contender than 80M on a bubble team.

Now, before you bring me the phony argument that I, myself, would take the job that pays more: it's not the same. The difference between 60K and 80K is huge, because you actually spend the extra money on something relevant. The difference between 60M and 80M is... 20M sitting in your bank account (yay!). If you think you really need that extra 20M, then you have a problem.

This is just wrong. Because an agent makes a small %, their primary incentive is to get a player under a contract rather than squeeze out every last dollar and risk the player losing a contract. They make far more from just getting the player under contract. Players are rewarded far more by getting a larger contract because they keep a large % of their money.

Why do people in general assume that players aren't the ones who want the money when everyone else in the world doesÉ

Koivu777

Feb 26, 2012
What a stinkin BEAAASSSSTTTTT!!!! They better re-sign this tank. Markov started his career here and will end it here. Loyalty.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
This is just wrong. Because an agent makes a small %, their primary incentive is to get a player under a contract rather than squeeze out every last dollar and risk the player losing a contract. They make far more from just getting the player under contract. Players are rewarded far more by getting a larger contract because they keep a large % of their money.

Makes sense only for fringe NHLers. In that specific case, I would definitely agree with you. Having 600k instead of 500k is nice, especially when your shelf life is short and you have no other skills. You can better plan your retirement.

However, it doesn't work like this for regulars, IMO. All top 6-9 forwards, top 4 D and about 40 or 50 goalies are 100% sure to have a 10 years career no matter what. It's not like a greedy agent would keep a good player at home. My point, if it was not clear:

4M x 0.03 = 120k
5M x 0.03 = 150k
6M x 0.03 = 180k

The player won't probably use the extra 1 or 2M, it will sit in his bank account for years and it will end up being wasted on non-essential stuff. On the other hand, the agent REALLY wants the extra 20 or 30k so he can send his kids to a better school or buy a bigger house or whatever.

Why do people in general assume that players aren't the ones who want the money when everyone else in the world doesÉ

Well, most players (and their parents) have been brainwashed by pushy agents since they were 14 years old...

I remember very well that Patches' agent was not really happy when his extension was signed. I'm speculating here, but it's possible that the agent advised Patches to turn down the offer and ask for more. And maybe Patches knows better.

Same goes for Crosby, he could ask for 12M, but he knows it would simply cripple his team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->