TSN: Markov signing discussions

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I like the odds when he's representing himself. Bold move, he seems to know what he wants. I think we can draw optimism from that.

Good point. I doubt he would be representing himself if he were looking to test the waters in July, considering he has never hit free agency once in his career.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
From the piece:

“Maybe I'm going to sign another contract tomorrow. Maybe in another month. We'll see,” he told The Gazette. “I'd like to stay here for the rest of my career. You can see some players in their 40s who still play. I don't want to think that far. Whatever is going to happen tomorrow will happen tomorrow.”

A Haley's comet type comment. I wish we'd see it more often. Hopefully we get a deal done soon so we can dispose of other pending issues more swiftly.

Last edited:

PricePkPatch*

From the piece:

A Haley's comet type comment. I wish we'd see it more often. Hopefully we get a deal done soon so we can deal with other pending issues more swiftly.

What's that expression means? I never heard it before

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm definitely not super keen on a long term deal for Markov at this point. A 2 year deal would be ideal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What's that expression means? I never heard it before

Exaggeration about how rarely we see a player say he wants to end his career with the Habs. Just like Haley's comet, which only appears periodically.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
2-3 years at anything close to his current cap hit is a no brainer. Would cost 6.5 mil to replace him.

CreamOfTheCrop

Jan 13, 2009
Montreal
Markov better stay here until his retirement.

General Markov is still in shape to play for several years.

4m seems decent.
We will see.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Markov's will look to finish his career in Montreal. He always strikes as a routine-type of person, looking to avoid changes. Given his age and injuries, he may look for job security more than money. Without an agent, I'd say that the possibility of having a win-win situation is greater.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
2-3 years at anything close to his current cap hit is a no brainer. Would cost 6.5 mil to replace him.

Would cost Galchenyuk or Gallagher to replace him. There are no UFA's even close to Markov's level.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Is it possible to sign somebody as a player for x years and then guarantee an office/coach job for x years?

I think he should stay with us when he retires. I think he would make a good technical advisor or something. No cap on staff expenses, so we can keep him.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Simple negotiations here...no agent necessary.

Montreal gives him a long term deal to retire....or the Washington Capitals will.....

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Personally I have a ton of respect for players who do this. Not a fan of agents at all.

Neither am I. The agent works for himself, not the player. Since they take a very small percentage of the money, they do all they can to drive up the AAV.

Now, it seems nice, as a player, to have the maximum possible amount of money, but I beg to differ.

Scenario #1: You make 8-9M a year for 10 years, but you have to play with average linemates (or D partner).

Scenario #2: You make 6M a year for 10 years, and the team can afford to spend an extra 2-3M to get you a better linemate (or D partner).

It takes only 2 or 3 guys on a team to agree to go for #2 and boom! The team can spend an extra 6, 7, 8M to get quality players for supporting roles.

I'd rather earn 60M on a perennial contender than 80M on a bubble team.

Now, before you bring me the phony argument that I, myself, would take the job that pays more: it's not the same. The difference between 60K and 80K is huge, because you actually spend the extra money on something relevant. The difference between 60M and 80M is... 20M sitting in your bank account (yay!). If you think you really need that extra 20M, then you have a problem.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I want it to be 2 years but I'm guessing we will have to make it 3, probably at a similar price tag but maybe a little higher.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I have a feeling Markov will sign a discount contract in an attempt to win a cup as a Hab.

The fact that he wants to retire here and fired his agent in order to negotiate his own contract leads me to believe he's looking for 3-4 years with a cap hit around $4m.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
I'm with Shawn Campbell from TSN on this one. There is no way Markov signs for something like $4M. In free agency, he gets at least 3 years, likely 4 at 6M per year.

If he's looking to finish his career and is more interested in term, we may see something like $6M, 6M 5M, 4M, 4M. Cap hit $5M. He is 100% worth it. Would cost $6.5 to replace him.

Don't undervalue Markov.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I have a feeling Markov will sign a discount contract in an attempt to win a cup as a Hab.

The fact that he wants to retire here and fired his agent in order to negotiate his own contract leads me to believe he's looking for 3-4 years with a cap hit around $4m.

I think he'll give the Habs a home town discount...but not at 60 cents on the dollar, that's a bit much.

Those are all below market value and good for both sides. He can get 500k at least more/year on each of those.

4 years 22 mil(6.25-6-5.25-4.5)
3 years 17.25 mil
2 years 12 mil

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
Anything from 2-3 years and between $4.5M-$5.75M IMO is a great deal that will continue to help us. (Even a little higher in the money wouldn't be too bad)

As he's already 35 we can't risk adding more years but a deal around those terms will allow us to keep The General while he helps us build a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad