Mark Scheifele is steadily growing into a bonafide first line centre

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I wrote something:
Say what you will about his penchant to falling down, but Mark Scheifele has been slowly rising into one of the most effective centres in the NHL.

With the Winnipeg Jets' own underrated, under appreciated, and legitimate first line centre (that's Bryan Little incase you are wondering) injured and out for the season, many looked at this as a test for Scheifele. The 23-year-old centre would be exposed to other teams' top lines and defenders; no longer could Scheifele benefit from hiding behind Little.
http://jetsnation.ca/2016/3/24/mark...-centre?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As always, thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Very nice article. Well written. Interesting thing about Scheifele when drafted was that looked like he was on a steep positive trajectory. He was a late developer, but fast riser. As you point out, his continued development is a credit to his character and work ethic.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I'm not sure I really buy the 'he works harder' theory, but I know it doesn't hurt, so...

I'm also really impressed with how his defending has progressed. Even just last season, there was a lot of terrorizing in the offensive zone, but also mixed with some scary defensive zone play. Even as his match-ups have gotten more difficult, that's still falling out of his game. This is exciting. In general, I've been ****ing delighted with his development, but this makes me think he even has more room to grow.

Garret, have you noticed any trends with the Wheeler factor?

In any case, if Scheifele were to go through a whole season shooting at 30%--look out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad