Mark Recchi has been Selected to HHoF

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
deservedly so
I think he played for 7 teams, can't be too many HOF'ers who played for more than that...

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Good for Rex. Like that Selanne and Kariya go in together.

I'm a bit meh in Andreychuk. A "Hall of Very Good" type player.

Edit: missed Goyette; very deserving.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Deserved recognition, not over the moon.

Didn't win in Philly, mixed emotions.

Typically the Flyers retire the numbers of players who make the HHoF. I would not find it appropriate to retire Recchi's #8. Wouldn't hold the same weight as the others - 1, 2, 4*, 7, 16, 88^.
*only non HHoF retired #
^not yet retired, this year or next most likely

This hot take has been brought to you by SadSackRainyDay Studios.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Good for Rex. Like that Selanne and Kariya go in together.

I'm a bit meh in Andreychuk. A "Hall of Very Good" type player.

Andreychuk, Recchi, Ciccarelli, Nieuwendyk - Hall of Very Good

Justin Williams would fall into this category as well- putting together a career similar to these guys.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Andreychuk, Recchi, Ciccarelli, Nieuwendyk - Hall of Very Good

Justin Williams would fall into this category as well- putting together a career similar to these guys.

I value peak more as well. Guys like Lindros, Bure, Forsberg, Kariya, etc. despite not having the ideal longevity I value more than the guys you listed above.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Extremely happy for Rex. He was a consumate pro and one of the hardest-working players on the ice for well over a decade.

He played more games for the Flyers than any other team, although not enough to be considered to have his number retired here.

He also played during the dead puck era and still put up points.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I value peak more as well. Guys like Lindros, Bure, Forsberg, Kariya, etc. despite not having the ideal longevity I value more than the guys you listed above.

I a Professional Sport where it is not only difficult to achieve inclusion, but difficult to maintain a spot over an extended period of time, longevity IMO is both admirable and important for a legacy... Taking nothing away from Players who have their careers cut short for one reason or another, yet achieve greatness in their allotted time... To not only have longevity but be able to excel consistently during that long career... and actually be wanted by multiple Organizations up until Retirement is most admirable to me.

Rex started off very well and then had a great peak period... but then as the NHL greatly changed course Recchi was able to contribute to all his Teams and help them achieve good to great Seasons... As higher priced Players were being pushed out of the League to make way for younger and more Cap Friendly Players, Recchi not only extended his Career but became more desired as time went on... I suppose he may be called a Journeyman Player by some, but I would suggest that he was a super-journeyman who was desired as a Player who was able to lift Teams to a upper level down the Stretch and in the PostSeason... I'm just sorry that one of his Rings were not won in O&B.

Had it not been for the First Lockout and Clarke's fear of handing out Contracts until the NHL new salary Structure was establish -- unlike the Pens who made Rex an offer that he couldn't refuse -- Recchi was prepared to settle down in Haddonfield with his Pittsburgh born and raised wife and hopefully retire a Flyer... Feathers were ruffled and the rest is history... IMO, had he stayed with the Organization the Path may have taken a different route and led to more success... but that is pur conjecture and we will never know.

I personally would install Rex in the PFHoF this coming Season... and then raise his with Lindros' 88 to the rafters beside Howe's sometime down the line.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Extremely happy for Rex. He was a consumate pro and one of the hardest-working players on the ice for well over a decade.

He played more games for the Flyers than any other team, although not enough to be considered to have his number retired here.

He also played during the dead puck era and still put up points.

In fact his 123 that one Season still exists as the Flyers all time Single Season mark... above Clarke, Lindros, Barber, etal... He arguably had his best Seasons in O&B.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
My favourite player of all time.
Number 8 was/is my number because if him.
Definitely going to go to the ceremony in Toronto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad