Mark Madden reports:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Captain Conservative said:
If Mark Madden is wrong, I will be very displeased. Also, I wish I hadn't clicked on this freaking topic, because now my hopes will be dashed 'pon the rocks.

Curse you mark madden. :mad:

No your hopes won't be dashed pon' the rocks :lol

I find it funny to believe some still don't think they'll be a season

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
WHARF1940 said:
right on 417, sometimes I feel like i am the only one left who is CONVINCED that there will be a season.

I know, were about 5 or 6 here, and i'm not talking about the one's who jump in and out of the bandwagon everytime there's some new report from TSN or Sportsnet, i've held this position since the lockout began and i'll keep saying that until it's done either way...

My question at this point is...

Why at this point haven't the players said, "Ok, forget this, nothings getting done, the onwers won't budge, we'll talk again in July/August" why haven't they given up on negotiations if everything they state (philisophical differences, and all that other crap from Linden and Saskin and others) the longer this goes on, the less sense it makes for the players, because they won't be getting paid for the playoffs, playing a 30 or even a 20 game season, plays right into the owners hands...

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Assuming NHL revenues of 2.1 Billion, $40 Mil SOFT CAP is 57.1% of revenue. The 50 Mil hard cap is 71.4% of revenue. This deal also has no form of linkage, and is therefore, IMHO, a boguss rumour. The rumoured offer in the Meehan thread ($42 mil hard cap, 54% of revenue, 50/50 split of profits over 115 mil) is much more believable.

That offer can be taken by the players to probably get say 57% of revenue, 60/40 profit split over 90 mil, etc. But $50 mil hard caps arn't going to fly, that is simply too much money.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Egil said:
Assuming NHL revenues of 2.1 Billion, $40 Mil SOFT CAP is 57.1% of revenue. The 50 Mil hard cap is 71.4% of revenue. This deal also has no form of linkage, and is therefore, IMHO, a boguss rumour. The rumoured offer in the Meehan thread ($42 mil hard cap, 54% of revenue, 50/50 split of profits over 115 mil) is much more believable.

That offer can be taken by the players to probably get say 57% of revenue, 60/40 profit split over 90 mil, etc. But $50 mil hard caps arn't going to fly, that is simply too much money.

Dont be fooled. The owners make more revenue than they let on. Beer sales, food, parking, tickets, TV (well, not anymore), sponsors, endorcements. I doubt they would give the players 70%.

But these are the people who pay Bobby Holik 40 million dollars...

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Egil said:

Most teams aren't going to come close to the cap though, especially the upper cap.

Reilly311

Mark Madden is god. What he says is true. He wouldn't say something like this to get the fans rattled up. Thank god hockeys coming back! :) :handclap: :hyper:

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Madden is friends with a lot of the Pens front office, including a certain owner/player...

That being said, this is probably what the owners are offering. He's runnning with it as it's gonna happen. If the players accept, he'll look genius......if they decline, he say they blew their chance. He needs something to talk about. He hates talking about the Steelers in the offseason, unless it is draft time or near Training Camp...The Pirates, well, he just isn't a big supporter of the way they are currently struggling...

st5801

Jan 31, 2005
Here are the details from Madden:
"The talks didn't break off last week, they ended, and the players know they lost." He also said that this week will be spent finalizing the details and deciding how the PA will present the news that they accepted a cap. There's an 80% chance that the deal will be finalized Thursday or Friday. The season will start on approximatly February 23rd.

Here are the two options:

40 million soft cap with a stiff luxury tax up to 50 million or a 40 million cap with a franchise player not counted in the 40 million.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I just listened to him for the first time in several weeks, and he basically stated what the original poster said exactly as if it were a fact. 40 mil soft cap, and a 50 hard cap OR a franchise player tag.

I don't really like Madden. I used to listen to him almost regularly a few years ago, but his schtick grows tiring and a lot of what he says is just done to create controversy (which he is good at). But he doesn't say things like this for controversy.

As some posters have noted, he has his sources and he had the Mark Recchi deal exactly right. He did claim they were going to sign Kovalev too, but IIRC, he was more certain about Recchi. He also was right about the Pens being in hot pursuit about Zhamnov.

He's a jerk and is flat out arrogant, but he has his sources. I was more optimistic about this at the end of last week, but he was stating it as if it were fact, so I guess I'm taking a we'll see approach to things.

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
LordStanley said:
Here are the details from Madden:
"The talks didn't break off last week, they ended, and the players know they lost." He also said that this week will be spent finalizing the details and deciding how the PA will present the news that they accepted a cap. There's an 80% chance that the deal will be finalized Thursday or Friday. The season will start on approximatly February 23rd.

Here are the two options:

40 million soft cap with a stiff luxury tax up to 50 million or a 40 million cap with a franchise player not counted in the 40 million.

Woot! :hyper:

Doc Hollywood

Feb 1, 2004
I hope all this is true. All these rumours do is get everyones hopes up. I still have an ounce of hope left but is really fading fast.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
RMU2 said:
no one ever gives their best offer first, and if you do you're gonna get bent over a barrel, you'd be fooling yourself if you think the PA offered their best proposal first. Its all part of negetioating

I'm not quite sure if you were agreeing with me or disputing that with me...I agree with you... :dunno:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Mark Madden was stripped naked in the middle of a WCW wrestling ring. Its hard for me to give any credibility to a fat naked guy rolling around in a wrestling ring.

Reilly311

LordStanley said:
The season will start on approximatly February 23rd.

wow, so we'll have like a 20 game season? I'd rather just ensure a deal gets done so the season starts on time next year. Whatever.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
every damn week it's the same thing though -optimism on monday and tues-anxiousness on wedneday and thursday then anger followed by depression and severe drinking on friday and saturday and sunday to recover. here we go again-think i might move up the drinking schedule this week though

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I dont want to get my hopes up on this. I mean, it all sounds good to us. But I personally dont think that the owners would go for this. If they do then omfg yes we have hockey back. But, I have a hard time seeing the owners going from a $38mill hard cap to 50mill hard cap.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
snakepliskin said:
every damn week it's the same thing though -optimism on monday and tues-anxiousness on wedneday and thursday then anger followed by depression and severe drinking on friday and saturday and sunday to recover. here we go again-think i might move up the drinking schedule this week though

Hey... are you knocking having a reason to get drunk on weekends? :)

Listen... 40 games - 30 -20 - 10 - what's the difference? At this point the winner this year will have an asterisk by their name on the Cup regardless.

They need to get a season going this year so they can get the lockout damage buried. Why lose the whole season only to start the next season with fans booing and going to games with bags over their heads? Get all of that done and over with now... bury it in a shortened season, and by next season all that crap will be past us and they can start rebuilding the fan base in earnest.

- T

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
TonySCV said:
Hey... are you knocking having a reason to get drunk on weekends? :)

Listen... 40 games - 30 -20 - 10 - what's the difference? At this point the winner this year will have an asterisk by their name on the Cup regardless.

They need to get a season going this year so they can get the lockout damage buried. Why lose the whole season only to start the next season with fans booing and going to games with bags over their heads? Get all of that done and over with now... bury it in a shortened season, and by next season all that crap will be past us and they can start rebuilding the fan base in earnest.

- T

The Stanley Cup will still be just as difficult to win as it would be every year.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
I listen to Madden everyday. He's honest, almost to a fault. His rumor may not come true, but I am sure in releasing it he did so with reputable sources and in good faith.

(He also graduated from the same highschool as me, but I remain objective)

Last edited:

Matty

May 20, 2002
Strawberry Fields
Visit site
Scugs said:
I dont want to get my hopes up on this. I mean, it all sounds good to us. But I personally dont think that the owners would go for this. If they do then omfg yes we have hockey back. But, I have a hard time seeing the owners going from a $38mill hard cap to 50mill hard cap.

I'm a little more skeptical about the players going for it than I am the owners. Personally, I think the owners would take it and run. To think that the owners were ever really stuck on the 38mil figure...I mean this is a negotiation - you never give away what you really want early on. Not to mention that a 38mil cap is pretty unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->