Prospect Info: Mark Dekanich?

acfurino

May 4, 2010
Whatsup Jets fans,

I've had Dekanich on my fantasy hockey keeper team and im hoping u guys can give me information and your opinions about him...

1) How did he play and how did he look this year?

2) Whats his future/potential? Also estimated time of arrival in NHL?

Info and your opinions will b greatly appreciated...

-Tony

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He was 16-14-1 in St. John's with a SV% of .895 and a GAA of 2.98. Didn't see any IceCaps games but I think he had the occasional good game, but was overall just ok to mediocre, and had little defensive help, to be fair.

I doubt he makes the NHL full time. I've heard he may be looked at by a few KHL teams, including the new Croatian team. His future with the Jets, at least, is pretty much done.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
He was 16-14-1 in St. John's with a SV% of .895 and a GAA of 2.98. Didn't see any IceCaps games but I think he had the occasional good game, but was overall just ok to mediocre, and had little defensive help, to be fair.

I doubt he makes the NHL full time. I've heard he may be looked at by a few KHL teams, including the new Croatian team. His future with the Jets, at least, is pretty much done.

Yeah, Medvescak Zagreb are getting Cronucks (Croatian-Canadians) to fill the allotment of Croatians the KHL requires a team to carry. I've heard he would be highly sought after.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah, Medvescak Zagreb are getting Cronucks (Croatian-Canadians) to fill the allotment of Croatians the KHL requires a team to carry. I've heard he would be highly sought after.

I think there's probably no other real option in goal for them if that's the case then, since I can't imagine there are many KHL-quality goalies in Croatia. I would think he'd be a perfect fit if they need to fill those kind of requirements.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The guy definitely had a down season. He used to be a very very highly thought of prospect.
Unfortunately he hasn't recovered from his injury yet it seems.
Those at St. John's were saying that his second half of the season was much better. I had only watched just under half of the games in the second half of the season (and almost all of the first half), but it seemed likely to be the truth.
I'm sure being in front of a D-squad with 4 rookies (O`Neill, Chiarot, Melchiori, Sol) did not help much, but there's only so much team affects can change SV%.
Maybe a year or two in Europe might be best for him. If he can bounce back to original form, I'm sure he could be an NHL level goaltender, but that's a big if.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The guy definitely had a down season. He used to be a very very highly thought of prospect.
Unfortunately he hasn't recovered from his injury yet it seems.
Those at St. John's were saying that his second half of the season was much better. I had only watched just under half of the games in the second half of the season (and almost all of the first half), but it seemed likely to be the truth.
I'm sure being in front of a D-squad with 4 rookies (O`Neill, Chiarot, Melchiori, Sol) did not help much, but there's only so much team affects can change SV%.
Maybe a year or two in Europe might be best for him. If he can bounce back to original form, I'm sure he could be an NHL level goaltender, but that's a big if.

He tweeted at the end of the season that the big thing for him was that he was playing 100% pain-free. So maybe it's a case that it's taken him a whole season to get back to where he was and next year should be a truer measure of his ability...but it doesn't sound like next year will be with this organization if the KHL is knocking on his door with their wheelbarrows full of rubles!

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
He's officially signed with Medvescak Zagreb now, according to his Twitter. Had no clue until seeing his Twitter that he played at Colgate the same time an old HS friend did.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
He's officially signed with Medvescak Zagreb now, according to his Twitter. Had no clue until seeing his Twitter that he played at Colgate the same time an old HS friend did.

Here's his official tweet.

Mark Dekanich ‏@dexshow 20 May

Excited & proud to announce my new contract with @KHL_MedvescakZG ! Very excited to head back to my roots & play in the KHL! Easy decision!

By the sounds of it he wanted a job with our Jets but they weren't prepared to offer him an exclusive agreement yet. If it was an easy decision it sounds like the KHL offered him a boat load of cash per season.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Here's his official tweet.

By the sounds of it he wanted a job with our Jets but they weren't prepared to offer him an exclusive agreement yet. If it was an easy decision it sounds like the KHL offered him a boat load of cash per season.

Doesn't he know that there's a process? :sarcasm:

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Doesn't he know that there's a process? :sarcasm:
Guess not?

Only Chevy and upper Management know what talks have gone on behind the scenes.

This is very similar to Stapes last season, I'm sure he had a feeling he wasn't going to be making the big coin and opted to play somewhere else while the offer was on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad