Mark Cuban: The Lesson Of Happy Gilmore and Pro Sports Marketing in the 21st Century

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Agreed. I understand Cuban's basic concept there, but the very thought of having guys who behave like some of the more obnoxious NFLers makes my stomach turn a little.

Well, maybe Cuban could try to buy the Bengals...

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
You can't deny the fact that whatever TO brings attention and NHL can never have too much attention. I'm not saying we need jerks like him but the current NHL is so sterile and passionless that some extra spice most certainly wouldn't hurt.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA

I'm not so sure that's good for the game.

I'm a big fan of spirited fights to turn the tide (Beauchemin v. Iginla) and if someone takes a run at one of your players dropping the gloves and getting retribution on that player.

I'm not a fan of goonery and line brawls for no reason.

The problem with having a player shooting his mouth off in the media and showboating is that he'll get his *** kicked on the rink. Hockey players have too much pride to let anyone show them up like that. You know why no one has tried "the Michigan" in an NHL game? It's because his face would get caved in on his next shift.

GSC2k2*

If your experience only goes back as far as J.R., then yes, to you it "never happened."
I am fortty-four years old, son - forty of which has been spent as a hockey fan. Based on your comments and shocking lack of historical reference, apparently that is further back than you.

You reference John Wensink as an example? Please.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
You can't deny the fact that whatever TO brings attention and NHL can never have too much attention. I'm not saying we need jerks like him but the current NHL is so sterile and passionless that some extra spice most certainly wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, let's promote more individualism in a team sport....when hockey (more than any other sport) is based on comradery, teamwork, and work ethic.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
A-Rad brings fire to the ice
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about the impact Gretzky had on the West Coast during his years in LA and I just wanted to mention that the "youth" here in Nashville is having a similar impact thus far as well.

During his rookie season it was Jordin Tootoo luring new fans to the game with his "on the edge - in your face" high-energy style that lured new fans to the game and put the hook in a lot of borderline fans in the area. Tootoo's name is known throughout the market and his merchandise flys off the shelves.

Last season Paul Kariya came to Nashville and brought the star recognition for the first time in franchise history. Kariya merchandise is found throughout the arena and he is by far our most marketable player outside of the local market as well.

This season it is Alexander Radulov that is taking the game by storm here in Nashville. Through his dynamic offensive skills and sheer energy and love for the game he is drawing new fans to the game and catching the attention of the local media.

I strongly believe that combined between the continued development of Tootoo and Radulov and the star impact of Kariya and homegrown stars such as Tomas Vokoun that we will see a similiar long-term impact here in Nashville.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
A-Rad brings fire to the ice
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about the impact Gretzky had on the West Coast during his years in LA and I just wanted to mention that the "youth" here in Nashville is having a similar impact thus far as well.

During his rookie season it was Jordin Tootoo luring new fans to the game with his "on the edge - in your face" high-energy style that lured new fans to the game and put the hook in a lot of borderline fans in the area. Tootoo's name is known throughout the market and his merchandise flys off the shelves.

Last season Paul Kariya came to Nashville and brought the star recognition for the first time in franchise history. Kariya merchandise is found throughout the arena and he is by far our most marketable player outside of the local market as well.

This season it is Alexander Radulov that is taking the game by storm here in Nashville. Through his dynamic offensive skills and sheer energy and love for the game he is drawing new fans to the game and catching the attention of the local media.

I strongly believe that combined between the continued development of Tootoo and Radulov and the star impact of Kariya and homegrown stars such as Tomas Vokoun that we will see a similiar long-term impact here in Nashville.

A Stanley Cup wouldn't hurt either.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Of course he's correct. But I don't want that. I see what Sidney Crosby has done for Pittsburgh's fanbase. I know plenty of 'fans' that would have advocated the Pens' leaving three years ago, because 'the Pens suck.'

Hockey is a team sport, more so than in any other major pro sport. Individualizing it turns the sport into something else, and while that personalization of the player will gain greater public interest, a basic idea behind the sport is weakend in importance.

It'd be good for the league, but bad for those who really truly enjoy the game. Most people are idiots, and to attract idiots, you probably end up taking away something from the original game to add something more 'popular.'

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
It doesn't have to be TO. Take Vince Young for an example, I think he's marketed himself quite well.

I love the high brow "hockey is better than the trashing talking crap" crowd. Let's remind ourselves hockey is still the only sport that allows fighting.

I love hockey, every aspect of it but the NHL has a lot to learn about marketing.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
I am fortty-four years old, son - forty of which has been spent as a hockey fan.

And apparently your hockey intellect hasn't changed much since the age at which you started. But actually, I'm older than you. "Son."

You reference John Wensink as an example? Please.

Not Wensink specifically, genius. The attitude that he exhibited, which was pretty commonplace is right in line with what Cuban was talking about. The only thing notable about Wensink's display in particular was that it's been preserved on film.

GSC2k2*

And apparently your hockey intellect hasn't changed much since the age at which you started. But actually, I'm older than you. "Son."

Not Wensink specifically, genius. The attitude that he exhibited, which was pretty commonplace is right in line with what Cuban was talking about. The only thing notable about Wensink's display in particular was that it's been preserved on film.
You can take my assumption that you were younger as a condemnation of what you are bringing to the table.

That "attitude" was far from commonplace, and Wensink himself did not display it too often.

Genius? You have no idea.

Anyway, I care nothing if you wish to believe that there was some golden era when hockey was full of charismatic showmen. You would be delusional, but it's a free country. Underscore that: I care nothing about what you believe. Clear?

blamebettman*

I'm not so sure that's good for the game.

I'm a big fan of spirited fights to turn the tide (Beauchemin v. Iginla) and if someone takes a run at one of your players dropping the gloves and getting retribution on that player.

I'm not a fan of goonery and line brawls for no reason.

The problem with having a player shooting his mouth off in the media and showboating is that he'll get his *** kicked on the rink. Hockey players have too much pride to let anyone show them up like that. You know why no one has tried "the Michigan" in an NHL game? It's because his face would get caved in on his next shift.

It's because it's illegal and wouldn't count.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005

MP v GS = Geezer fight in a barber shop.

Seriously, though, the most memorable "character" was a team - Philadelphia. The individuals in hockey, like Tiger, were anomalies.

Growing up, we loved the Suitcase Smiths, the Flowers, and the Drydens for what they did on the ice, not because they popped their pregnant girlfriend with a nine and got headlines for it.

They were all nuts, and we loved 'em.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Line brawls happen for a reason 99% of the time and the crowds LOVE them 100% of the time.

They do now, but back in the 70's the only reason for the fighting was pure intimidation. I'm ok with intimidation from hitting but I'd rather not go back to the mid 70's broad street bully bs.

I don't want fighting out of the game but I don't want the game to be all about fighting.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
They do now, but back in the 70's the only reason for the fighting was pure intimidation. I'm ok with intimidation from hitting but I'd rather not go back to the mid 70's broad street bully bs.

I don't want fighting out of the game but I don't want the game to be all about fighting.

But how can you have any sort of emotion or suspense in a sport without the possibility of the opponents killing each other?

Think of what's going through the batter's mind...

The NASCAR driver's mind...

The quarterback's mind...

The striker's mind...

Nope, can't have any suspense or excitement in sports without the possibility of a fight. Heck, once they took fighting out of basketball, nobody watched. Ditto with soccer, err, football...

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I think anything to fire up team rivalries is best. Hockey has always had great team rivalries, but there aren't as many now, partially due to the size of the league.

IMO, they should have two guaranteed playoff sports per division and two conference wide wild card spots, the top 2 from each division pair off, and the wild cards, then everything after is by regular season standings. Combine a guaranteed intra-division playoff match with 8 games a season and some heated rivalries would build.

mooseOAK*

Personality, that's what that is. I started laughing at the end of that, that takes balls and confidence. That's personality, dude. That's what the NHL needs to market itself. If you did something like that today, you'd get a suspension.

Heat of the moment type of stuff I am not so much against but I was referring more to staged type of celebrations that Cuban refers to. I don't think that we would want to see a guy score a goal and ignore his teammates to go do pirouettes at center ice. His own players would likely thump him for it anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->