Mark Cuban interested in Blues? (article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2005/07/18/story3.html?page=1

Word on the street has Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban interested in buying the St. Louis Blues. He wouldn't comment, but he's the only one. Others whose names are circulating as potential bidders are quick to shoot down the rumors.

Paul Allen: "Does not have any interest in the team at this time."

Lester Miller: "I don't know anything about hockey. I didn't even know they were for sale."

Last edited by a moderator:

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
I would like to see Cuban get into hockey somehow. He creates headlines....although most times he makes an ass out of himself. ;)

Seriously though....the NHL needs exposure. The media loves Mark Cuban.

Remember - "There's no such thing as bad publicity.*"

*unless your last name is Bertuzzi or McSorley

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
He just stated publicly (two days ago at a Cubs game at Wrigley Field) that he would like to buy the Pittsburgh Pirates, if they go on the block. He's from Pittsburgh and a big Pirate fan and all around baseball fan. I think he can only do one at a time.

You can see his public statements in the Pittsburgh Papers sports section:

www.postgazette.com
www.pittsburghlive.com

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
Taranis_24 said:
I could just picture him trying to run on the ice to yell at an official or at least hanging over the top of the glass.

Seriously. Or trying to get into the bench of another team to yell at their Coach because of a cheap shot.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
As much of a screwball as Cuban is, he's been fabulous for the Mavericks, turning them from joke into contender.

Considering he's from Pittsburgh, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a shot at helping the Pens stay in Pittsburgh.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
The Nemesis said:
As much of a screwball as Cuban is, he's been fabulous for the Mavericks, turning them from joke into contender.

Considering he's from Pittsburgh, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a shot at helping the Pens stay in Pittsburgh.
He has said he has no interest in the Pens.......

.......and the Pens have a new owner up for approval. As soon as the vote goes through, Lemieux will become a minority owner with only a 5% stake......he's selling the rest.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
craig1 said:
He has said he has no interest in the Pens.......

.......and the Pens have a new owner up for approval. As soon as the vote goes through, Lemieux will become a minority owner with only a 5% stake......he's selling the rest.

Yeah, Cuban's interest in the Penguins went awry back in 2000 when Lemieux bought the team. The two apparently didn't get along too well which is a really big shame...but I think Cuban wanted minority ownership with majority power so I can't really blame Lemieux for doing what he did...but still it would be nice to have him in on the ownership.

Still, if, and that's a big if, Cuban decides to put another team onto his resume I'd say it's the Pirates. It's his hometown team and they're in desperate need of someone like him.

hockey_nut

Mar 19, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Mark Cuban going after the Blues franchise?

Got this story here:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/stl050725.html

-------

(ST. LOUIS, MO) -- With the "for sale" sign still hanging outside of the Blues' offices, a report out of the St. Louis Business Journal has identified a very interesting potential buyer for the franchise.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has apparently expressed an interest in purchasing the Blues, but said it was "not something I can comment on."

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
He "expressed" on Dallas sports radio that he was not interested in the Blues, but he was much more evasive about the questions regarding the baseball teams.

Baseball would make more sense. He could split his time more easily between the two teams with baseball and basketball rather than two concurrent seasons like hockey and basketball.

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
Kritter471 said:
He "expressed" on Dallas sports radio that he was not interested in the Blues, but he was much more evasive about the questions regarding the baseball teams.

Baseball would make more sense. He could split his time more easily between the two teams with baseball and basketball rather than two concurrent seasons like hockey and basketball.

When did you hear this? The above article from July 25th seems to contradict your statement.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Plager05 said:
When did you hear this? The above article from July 25th seems to contradict your statement.
The article is wrong and is based on speculation. "Word on the street" is not a good source.

Cuban does interviews all the time here in Dallas. His name has been attached to the Cubs, the Pirates, the Penguins, and now the Blues. Why? For the same reason that Paul Allen has been a rumored NHL owner for 10 years now: because he has money. He even laughs about that. He went to a Cubs game while in Chicago on business, and the next day all the Chicago papers have him interested in buying the team.

Until Cuban comes out and says he's interested, all we have is rumor and a weak one at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad