Mark Cuban Comments on Hockey on TV

Lou's Koolaid

I live here
Jan 12, 2007
KWT660
Cuban has a good point just look at the NHL attendance to NBA it's pretty close in cites that have both franchies, so he's right at least from a boxoffice point of veiw put a good hockey product in any decent U.S market the fans will come out, except for Newjersey. The thing to do is promote the damm athletes already!!!:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't this some of the people get the point that Cuban's trying to make. This isn't about attracting advertising. It doesn't matter whether the NBA gets far higher playoff ratings.
All he wants to do is change some of the perceptions about hockey in the States. Most people there would say that nobody watches hockey, when this, in fact, is far from the truth. Show them that the NHL on Saturday night had a rating of 1.4 compared to the NBA at 1.1 on Thursday, and they wouldn't go research the numbers. They wouldn't go find out where exactly the viewers are from or what the playoff ratings were, they'd just leave and think to themselves, "well, I guess somebody is watching hockey".
It's all about changing the image and perception of the league. This actually isn't a minor league in North America. It's quite popular.

Jazz

I don't this some of the people get the point that Cuban's trying to make. This isn't about attracting advertising. It doesn't matter whether the NBA gets far higher playoff ratings.
All he wants to do is change some of the perceptions about hockey in the States. Most people there would say that nobody watches hockey, when this, in fact, is far from the truth. Show them that the NHL on Saturday night had a rating of 1.4 compared to the NBA at 1.1 on Thursday, and they wouldn't go research the numbers. They wouldn't go find out where exactly the viewers are from or what the playoff ratings were, they'd just leave and think to themselves, "well, I guess somebody is watching hockey".
It's all about changing the image and perception of the league. This actually isn't a minor league in North America. It's quite popular.
Correct - perception is his key point.

GSC2k2*

Correct - perception is his key point.
Definitely true, IMO. Incremental fans (and the incremental revenue they bring) come, at least in part, from people who want in on the cool thing of the day. The Jays certanly cashed in on that in baseball fifteen years ago.

serdy

Aug 10, 2005
You must be assuming that, just because he is a billionaire, he is "bloody good" as a businessman. He is simply one of the many guys who got real lucky at the right time with the internet bubble.

He has done nothing before or since that has distinguished him as anything other than a doofus who lucked out at the only time in history when he could have done so.

He has had 3 major companies that I know of, so it is not that he just got lucky once. It has been pretty much beat to death that besides JR the NHL has no real personalities, and like it or not they help. Cubans money and Cubans personality would be great for the sport.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
He has had 3 major companies that I know of, so it is not that he just got lucky once. It has been pretty much beat to death that besides JR the NHL has no real personalities, and like it or not they help. Cubans money and Cubans personality would be great for the sport.

Nobody can deny that.

I like Cuban, he has a great head for business.

Last edited by a moderator:

GSC2k2*

Name the others, please. And please don't name the Mavs. The fact that they are successful on the court has nothing to do with how well they are doing as a business (which is "heavily subsidized by Cuban", I would say, based on their payroll).

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Name the others, please. And please don't name the Mavs. The fact that they are successful on the court has nothing to do with how well they are doing as a business (which is "heavily subsidized by Cuban", I would say, based on their payroll).

Grew up ina blue collar family, no family bankroll.

First company - Micro Solutions - sold to Compuserve for $6 million

Second comapny - Broadcast.com - sold to Yahoo for just over $5 Billion

Current owns - HDnet, 2929 Entertainment, and a string of movie theatres

Also was an investor in weblogs, which has been purchased by AOL.

Bought the Mavs for $285 million from Ross Perot in 1/00

Helped to transform the Mavs from a laughingstock, to one of the league's elite franchises.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
Grew up ina blue collar family, no family bankroll.

First company - Micro Solutions - sold to Compuserve for $6 million

Second comapny - Broadcast.com - sold to Yahoo for just over $5 Billion

Current owns - HDnet, 2929 Entertainment, and a string of movie theatres

Also was an investor in weblogs, which has been purchased by AOL.

Bought the Mavs for $285 million from Ross Perot in 1/00

Helped to transform the Mavs from a laughingstock, to one of the league's elite franchises.

Ya, but what has he really done?

mooseOAK*

Cuban will probably want a camera on him at all times with his own video screen in the arena so people can see him.

I really think that his act screwed his team up in the playoffs by pissing the refs off.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
There is a secret meaning:

The NHL maybe behind the NBA but the NBA is not very popular. Looking to match the NBA is not really a winning effort

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

Honestly, the media would call out the NHL and it would make them bush league. I can see it right now, Tony Kornheiser talking about it on PTI "Hey the NHL is trying to sell Canadian Television ratings for hockey in the US, look how low they stooped too!"

#1rezniy

Nov 3, 2006
Unless hes starring in a remake of Frankenstein Im not interested in anything Cuban has to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad