Mario Lemieux

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb**

I am wondering since he is a player and owner if he has the same priveledges and access as the other owners to the NHL's and other teams books? He has been very silent and if can look at the books he would really know if 20 teams are losing money as they say. He may have commented on this previously I just have not heard or read anything.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I think he tryed to stay out of all the stuff that was going on because he his a player and also a owner. He did want to be in the middle of the arguments and all the other things that happened.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Habsfan 32 said:
I think he tryed to stay out of all the stuff that was going on because he his a player and also a owner. He did want to be in the middle of the arguments and all the other things that happened.
I could see that would suck to have both sides trying to tell you what to do and think....

JonathanWashington

Hockey in Cairo
Dec 26, 2004
Manhattan
no offense to mario. but if he was smarter maybe he should have gotten involved in the middle of it. It seems the nhlpa and nhl needed more then a shot in the arm to get anything going.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
impressingagent said:
no offense to mario. but if he was smarter maybe he should have gotten involved in the middle of it. It seems the nhlpa and nhl needed more then a shot in the arm to get anything going.

not saying you're wrong, but he is the only person to ever be somewhat on both sides, making it very hard for him to take a die hard stance really. the NHL also makes him take an owner's side, so we really don't know what Mario the player is thinking.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
impressingagent said:
he is stuck between a rock and a hard place IMO.

if he sides with the players.. he turns his back on the owners.
if he sides with the owners.. he turns back on his teammates.

he did what anyone else would do.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
impressingagent said:
Agreed, the NHL needs a hero and Mario could have been just that and would forever be remembered as the savior of hockey.

Burnaby_Joe*

Lemieux should just retire. He did nothing at the World Cup. I hope he doesn't play at the World Championships, either.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
jb said:
I am wondering since he is a player and owner if he has the same priveledges and access as the other owners to the NHL's and other teams books? He has been very silent and if can look at the books he would really know if 20 teams are losing money as they say. He may have commented on this previously I just have not heard or read anything.

The whole question is absurd. The owners have already said that they would all open their books the players. The players weren't intereste because they simply don't care whether the league is losing money. They want as much as they can get. Period.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Habsfan 32 said:

Lenmieux is a major villian in this whole thing. Given that one of the main problems was mistrust between the NHL and NHLPA, they badly needed someone to bridge the gap. It should have been Lemieux and Gretzky. But they both punked out.

Sure, they would be taking the chance of being called turncoat or traitor, but if they had any guts, they would have put the good of hockey above their person feeling and their fear of making enemies. But both men are politicians first and formost and they acted like ploiticians - letting the house burn down rather than risking anything.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
and what exactly are Lemieux and Gretzky going to do that will bridge such a large gap? until about 2 days before te deadline neither side was budging and being completely stubborn. Do you really think that either of them oculd have changed either's minds?

Also, they're both owners, meaning they need to take the owners side. How willing are the players going to be to listen to them, knowing they are on opposite sides?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Raider Zero said:
and what exactly are Lemieux and Gretzky going to do that will bridge such a large gap? until about 2 days before te deadline neither side was budging and being completely stubborn. Do you really think that either of them oculd have changed either's minds?

Also, they're both owners, meaning they need to take the owners side. How willing are the players going to be to listen to them, knowing they are on opposite sides?

They could have tried.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Leachmeister2000 said:
They could have tried.

Well, there were reports he was in Toronto and that he was perhaps involved behind the scenes. I beleive it and don't think given his conflict that it would not have been appropriate for him to do much more.

Now if it were just Mario the player and he didn't take a leadership role, I would be very dissappointed.

feds91

May 17, 2004
Jadakiss said:
Lemieux should just retire. He did nothing at the World Cup. I hope he doesn't play at the World Championships, either.

since coming out of retirement, he's accumulated 207 points in 144 games. in today's NHL, those numbers are pretty impressive if I may say so. :bow:

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Lionel Hutz said:
Well, there were reports he was in Toronto and that he was perhaps involved behind the scenes. I beleive it and don't think given his conflict that it would not have been appropriate for him to do much more.

Yeah he held talks with the Leafs Owner and Tie Domi i believe.... dont think much came of it.

Mario isnt the guy in the best position to talk with the Union in anycase, the Penguins stated yesterday they would have struggled for a few years under the deal that the NHL was offering.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I respect Mario's position and the reasons for his decision to stay out of the bargaining, but he needed to be more involved, and so did Gretzky. They both were way too deferential to the rest of the owners and as a result, the distrust has continued between the parties. I agree that there's probably people on both sides that are smarter than these two and are better spoken and more knowledgable, but it doesn't matter how brilliant you are if the entire union doesn't believe a word you say. I don't know what kind of difference, if anything, either Lemieux or Gretzky would have made, but they should have done much more than they did to try to get a deal done.

DJmastamind

Jan 26, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
www.beckett.com
You know I was a little disappointed that Lemeiux couldn't step up to help get something done. But really, he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He realizes that the NHL needs a cap, and salaries linked to revenue, he's said that. He also tried to talk to tie domi to help resolve this issue.

I can't hold anything against him for that!

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
DJmastamind said:
You know I was a little disappointed that Lemeiux couldn't step up to help get something done. But really, he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He realizes that the NHL needs a cap, and salaries linked to revenue, he's said that. He also tried to talk to tie domi to help resolve this issue.

I can't hold anything against him for that!

I don't question his effort, he definitely tried and that is admirable. I also appreciate that we put a lot of "hero worship" to Lemieux and Gretzky...frankly because everything they touch turns to gold basically, and that isn't particularly fair either...but neither of them were very visible and when they were, it was to take a decidedly hands-off approach. I would have preferred if they had been involved all the way along and been the motivators driving this thing forward...that would have been great to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->