Mario Lemieux Class Act

Status
Not open for further replies.

justapantherfan

Mar 12, 2002
Sunrise, Fl
www.simplaying.com
I am not a big fan of Mario and that's only because he is not on my team, but over the last few years I have become to respect him and as an owner/player he sees both sides. I have also noticed that as a superstar and someone who does deserve the 10 mil sal he doesn't pay himself that. Now I am not sure if he only pays himself a lower salary because the Pens were in trouble or not, but he would deserve it more then some of these players who make it.

Anyway I ran across this article from him and he agrees something needs to be done in order to make the NHL right.

PITTSBURGH -- There never was any doubt where hockey's biggest name stood in the NHL lockout. These days, Mario Lemieux is the Pittsburgh Penguins' owner first and a player second, not the other way around.

Lemieux might have captained Team Canada to a World Cup championship in September, but has said repeatedly the NHL has no choice but to negotiate a more favorable labor contract -- even if such a deal might trim his own salary.

The only other option, he said, is to risk losing hockey in Pittsburgh and other smaller cities, where fans are weary of subsidizing big salaries in what is becoming a niche sport largely ignored by the masses.

That's why Lemieux was hopeful until minutes before commissioner Gary Bettman canceled the 2004-05 season Wednesday there would be a last-minute labor agreement to save the season -- and, in his mind, the sport.

"This morning, I thought the two sides would get together before the press conference and make a deal ... that, at the end of the day, there would be too much at stake for both sides." Lemieux said Wednesday. "But I knew and understood throughout this process that it would be a long battle."

This is from our local paper sunsentinel.com
Link

Last edited by a moderator:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lemieux may be afraid because he is on both sides of this, but there will be a time where he will do what he has to do.

It's time for him to get involved, and not be worried about making one side or the other upset.

flyercide

Feb 27, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
i said months ago i thought lemieux had the best interest for the league at heart. from owners & players standpoint being that he is both. & that he rescued a team from bankruptcy.

and who did he vote for... he voted along w the rest of the owners for the holdout. that says a lot to me. anyways dont care for that discussion again. but...

i think he would make a great commissioner. fire bettman! bring in lemieux! :bow:

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
chiavsfan said:
Nice to know

Not hard to think that he would refuse to side with a group that refused to audit the accounting books that he has seen for himself as an owner. It seems like a slamdunk. I wouldn't side with some guy who comes up and tells me what I can afford while at the same time refusing to look at my bank statement.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
flyercide said:
i think he would make a great commissioner. fire bettman! bring in lemieux! :bow:

Not sure at all how it would help with the CBA problems but you can be sure he would open the game open more. He has been beating the anti trapping/clutching/grabbing/interfernce drum for well over a decade now.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Tekneek said:
Not hard to think that he would refuse to side with a group that refused to audit the accounting books that he has seen for himself as an owner. It seems like a slamdunk. I wouldn't side with some guy who comes up and tells me what I can afford while at the same time refusing to look at my bank statement.

I'm sure Mario knows Pittsburgh's books. I doubt he knows Philadelphia's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad