Marian Hossa

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Hoss was wonderful to watch. Intense, 200-foot player dangerous to the opposition in either zone and just a great overall player.

Yes he is missed. that said, Hoss is done. He had his day and it was great. He has earned what will be his retirement and his HOF induction is certain.

But yes, he would have helped this team this year --- but unfortunately that ship has sailed.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Hoss was wonderful to watch. Intense, 200-foot player dangerous to the opposition in either zone and just a great overall player.

Yes he is missed. that said, Hoss is done. He had his day and it was great. He has earned what will be his retirement and his HOF induction is certain.

But yes, he would have helped this team this year --- but unfortunately that ship has sailed.
Hoss is and would be missed. he was the first major FA signed and lead the way for the Bhawks to start getting more key players.

he was like the lucky rabbit foot for the org.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
We're without not only who was our best defensive FWD (AINEC), but possibly also out best defensive skater.

Hoss' loss hurt like a kick in the goolies on a cold January morning.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
We're without not only who was our best defensive FWD (AINEC), but possibly also out best defensive skater.

Hoss' loss hurt like a kick in the goolies on a cold January morning.
the problem i have on this last comment is this. the young D-men that the org has, someone will need to step up and show more skills developing with more playing time.

that is what happen with Rutta and his partner on defense, so i would like to see them continue to develop more. the problem is Q and his penchants for playing older players.

this is one point i am not starting to approve in his game-plan.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I don't think that there's a single person in the fanbase that doesn't miss Hossa. He was having a resurgence in quality of play and was well worth his cap hit. I'm still of the opinion that after losing him, the Saad for Panarin trade was a good idea, but that being said the Hawks with only Saad is an inferior team to the Hawks with Panarin and Hossa.

Last edited:
Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
the problem i have on this last comment is this. the young D-men that the org has, someone will need to step up and show more skills developing with more playing time.

that is what happen with Rutta and his partner on defense, so i would like to see them continue to develop more. the problem is Q and his penchants for playing older players.

this is one point i am not starting to approve in his game-plan.
Not sure that you mean. My point was that throughout his career with the 'hawks, I cannot count a single player that Hossa hasn't bailed out defensively at least twice--including every single one of our D-men. It's not about slotting and acquisition, it's about one player that antes up in every end of the ice and if a breakdown happens, tries to fix it even if it's not his responsibility. That's not just on this year. Hoss was bailing guys out even in the good years.

I don't think that there's a single person in the fanbase that doesn't miss Hossa. He was having a resurgence in quality of pay and was well worth his cap hit. I'm still of the opinion that after losing him, the Saad for Panarin trade was a good idea, but that being said the Hawks with only Saad is an inferior team to the Hawks with Panarin and Hossa.
How much of that is on Saad though? Plus to be fair to Saad he's made a couple of Hossa-like plays this year (just not at the clip Hossa made them ;)). But truth be told if indeed Hossa was going to walk this summer, are we better with Saad or Panarin? Hossa's a completely different factor to all of that if he was hanging them up irrespective of the team makeup. IMHO the smart move at the time was to bring in Hossa-lite to try and mitigate some of his loss and try to alleviate some pressure on the netminders.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Not sure that you mean. My point was that throughout his career with the 'hawks, I cannot count a single player that Hossa hasn't bailed out defensively at least twice--including every single one of our D-men. It's not about slotting and acquisition, it's about one player that antes up in every end of the ice and if a breakdown happens, tries to fix it even if it's not his responsibility. That's not just on this year. Hoss was bailing guys out even in the good years.
and your point was well taken by me. trying to retract my thought process, i now know what happen. i posted my comment on the defense of the team, either keith thread or the forsberg.

i really screwed up. my bad.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Saad vs Panarin is essentially a debate on where you think the team should be. Either improve the Toews line or keep the Kane line dynamic. With Schmaltz and DeBrincat developing, the organization clearly had the opinion that adding a mini-Hossa was more key than having a mini-Kane going forward. Time will tell if that'll haunt us or not, but the fact that the Saad and Panarin cap hits are identical but Saad's has a longer term certainly didn't hurt.

This team, as of right now, seems to be less than the sum of their parts. Whether that's on coaching or players or management meddling of a combo of everything, I can't say for sure, but I just have a hard time imagining that so many players would simultaneously hit a brick wall at the same time permanently. This should be a team that rights itself eventually. With those factors in mind, I think that the Hawks with Saad are better than the Hawks with Panarin, but time will tell if that's really the case.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
We're discussing team D and Defensive bailouts when the team is one of the top in goals against? Yeah, we're sloppier than normal but we're still getting the saves and keeping other teams off the score sheet. Hossa was just another piece of the over the top talent puzzle which allowed us to play such a conservative defensive game and still outscore the other team, that's the part I miss.

No need to even pretend we'll be world beaters under Q's system unless Toews regains his old ways and we get more production top to bottom, if not another prolific forward. Getting production off the dump and cycle alone 5v5 is ****ing hard tough nosed hockey.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Saad vs Panarin is essentially a debate on where you think the team should be. Either improve the Toews line or keep the Kane line dynamic. With Schmaltz and DeBrincat developing, the organization clearly had the opinion that adding a mini-Hossa was more key than having a mini-Kane going forward. Time will tell if that'll haunt us or not, but the fact that the Saad and Panarin cap hits are identical but Saad's has a longer term certainly didn't hurt.

This team, as of right now, seems to be less than the sum of their parts. Whether that's on coaching or players or management meddling of a combo of everything, I can't say for sure, but I just have a hard time imagining that so many players would simultaneously hit a brick wall at the same time permanently. This should be a team that rights itself eventually. With those factors in mind, I think that the Hawks with Saad are better than the Hawks with Panarin, but time will tell if that's really the case.
re the bold, i agree the reason is and the wild card is missing Hossa. this might be too big of a key to replace. in lieu of that idea, the team has, as i have been saying, Schm to the top line and D-cat to the kane line.

the emergence of d-cat is such a positive force that i honestly think, no knew he was going to be this good.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Schmaltz way more than Saad in the neutral zone backchecking is more like Hossa. Schmaltz hounds the puck much better than Saad. Only prime Toews was as good on takeaways as Hossa in the neutral zone. Unfortunately, now Toews can't catch up to the play, so his takeaways from backchecking are a thing of the past.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
and your point was well taken by me. trying to retract my thought process, i now know what happen. i posted my comment on the defense of the team, either keith thread or the forsberg.

i really screwed up. my bad.
No worries mate... :) You're fine :)

You, my good sir, hit the nail on the head of the problem we all see. I do agree 'hawks with Saad should be better than the 'hawks with Panarin. I also think there's no real reason for everyone hitting the brick wall--especially as hard as they did.

We're discussing team D and Defensive bailouts when the team is one of the top in goals against? Yeah, we're sloppier than normal but we're still getting the saves and keeping other teams off the score sheet. Hossa was just another piece of the over the top talent puzzle which allowed us to play such a conservative defensive game and still outscore the other team, that's the part I miss.

No need to even pretend we'll be world beaters under Q's system unless Toews regains his old ways and we get more production top to bottom, if not another prolific forward. Getting production off the dump and cycle alone 5v5 is ****ing hard tough nosed hockey.
If you want the real reason we're discussing D bailouts? Look at the GA/GP vs the SA/GP. GA/GP: 7th at 2.67. SA/GP: 29th at 33.7. Right now there is one reason and one reason alone our GA is so low: Crawford.

Schmaltz way more than Saad in the neutral zone backchecking is more like Hossa. Schmaltz hounds the puck much better than Saad. Only prime Toews was as good on takeaways as Hossa in the neutral zone. Unfortunately, now Toews can't catch up to the play, so his takeaways from backchecking are a thing of the past.
Yep...and that was like 2014. Prior to and after that Toews was the Padwan to the master Jedi Hossa. :P

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago
I know this is not a likely scenario but wonder what the Hawks would do with the roster next season if Hoss were to somehow come back... interesting to think about at least especially if his cap space is taken up at this years deadline.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I know this is not a likely scenario but wonder what the Hawks would do with the roster next season if Hoss were to somehow come back... interesting to think about at least especially if his cap space is taken up at this years deadline.

He isn't coming back. I don't even think it's "not a likely scenario". I think it's 110% guaranteed that he is done with the game.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

I would be absolutely astonished if Hossa came back. I think he's in the LTIRetirement home and done with hockey. I think that the cap issue would be staggeringly brutal for us if he came back, though I obviously could be wrong.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I would be absolutely astonished if Hossa came back. I think he's in the LTIRetirement home and done with hockey. I think that the cap issue would be staggeringly brutal for us if he came back, though I obviously could be wrong.

The cap is expected to go up to 80-82m next season. So we could basically field the same roster as now, with him on it, if that were the case. I just don't see it happening, personally. He's done. He's LTIRetired.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
If you want the real reason we're discussing D bailouts? Look at the GA/GP vs the SA/GP. GA/GP: 7th at 2.67. SA/GP: 29th at 33.7. Right now there is one reason and one reason alone our GA is so low: Crawford.

I won't disagree with the slop, but the bottom line is if the slop didn't exist we'd have the same issues on offense, this team isn't made up for the tight checking hard nosed sit back and wait system anymore.

Last edited:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Hossa did many things at an elite level. Scoring, takeaways and general defensive hustle.

The way he forechecked was as cerebral a hockey play as I've ever seen. He knew his angles like a mathematician. He could take being in a bad position and work into a play where the opponent was totally boxed in. That was the most amazing takeaway I have from being able to watch Hossa as a Hawk.

Thank you 81!

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I’d gladly have him back next year at 39. I know it’s over, it’s just a damnshame because he could have finished his contract. What a player. If he can’t come back, I wonder if the league would let us retire his number. They’ll probably make us wait until the contract is over because of the whiny owners. So stupid, why does everything have to devolve into a shit throwing fight? He can’t play, we’re doing some paperwork to comply with the cap, and that’s that. But no, we have to put on a charade. Same thing with the baseball HOF. “Well, this guy was a HOF player but some powerful people don’t like him so let’s wait until right after he dies, then everyone can be happy.”

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I’d gladly have him back next year at 39. I know it’s over, it’s just a damnshame because he could have finished his contract. What a player. If he can’t come back, I wonder if the league would let us retire his number. They’ll probably make us wait until the contract is over because of the whiny owners. So stupid, why does everything have to devolve into a **** throwing fight? He can’t play, we’re doing some paperwork to comply with the cap, and that’s that. But no, we have to put on a charade. Same thing with the baseball HOF. “Well, this guy was a HOF player but some powerful people don’t like him so let’s wait until right after he dies, then everyone can be happy.”
isn't there a certain amount of yrs after he retires before they the org could think about it ???? remember i am not sure on my post.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I’d gladly have him back next year at 39. I know it’s over, it’s just a damnshame because he could have finished his contract. What a player. If he can’t come back, I wonder if the league would let us retire his number. They’ll probably make us wait until the contract is over because of the whiny owners. So stupid, why does everything have to devolve into a **** throwing fight? He can’t play, we’re doing some paperwork to comply with the cap, and that’s that. But no, we have to put on a charade. Same thing with the baseball HOF. “Well, this guy was a HOF player but some powerful people don’t like him so let’s wait until right after he dies, then everyone can be happy.”
remember and this is the caveat to any discussion, concerning different players.

Hossa was a special kind of player, that he managed not to be affected with age, injuries and IQ. he was Bless with a special talent.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
isn't there a certain amount of yrs after he retires before they the org could think about it ???? remember i am not sure on my post.

Lidstrom went up immediately so I don’t think so.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Hossa did many things at an elite level. Scoring, takeaways and general defensive hustle.

The way he forechecked was as cerebral a hockey play as I've ever seen. He knew his angles like a mathematician. He could take being in a bad position and work into a play where the opponent was totally boxed in. That was the most amazing takeaway I have from being able to watch Hossa as a Hawk.

Thank you 81!
Hossa was the only guy who, when stripped of the puck by Datsyuk, went out and got it back. :)
I won't disagree with the slop, but the bottom line is if the slop didn't exist we'd have the same issues on offense, this team isn't made up for the tight checking hard nosed sit back and wait system anymore.

The difference IMHO is that if the D was tighter we wouldn't have to try to lean on the O as hard to win games. All players have bad games, but the way it's gone this year is that if the netminders have a bad game (of which there was like...3), we got no chance because the D and O cannot (or will not) step it up to cover. It used to be if the goalies had an off night, there was a good probability the team D could step it up to cover the O, or the O would go into overdrive. Now, either Crawford or Forsling have to be 100% dialed in for the team to have a shot--outside of the 1st two games when the whole team showed up.

Hossa was a huge part of that in previous seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad