Marek Schwarz by the numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
23 GP, 10-12, 3.13 GAA, .887 save percentage.

Averages a mere 26.8 shots per game.

What's the deal here? I'm not one for stats normally, but these numbers are dreadful.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
23 GP, 10-12, 3.13 GAA, .887 save percentage.

Averages a mere 26.8 shots per game.

What's the deal here? I'm not one for stats normally, but these numbers are dreadful.

Worst save percentage in dub! The guy may be a bust! He was overhyped playing in Europe!

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Mmmmmmaybe the Oilers scouts weren't as crazy as some believed them to be? :D Schwarz hasn't been great yet but I expect him to round into form. His numbers aren't terrific so far but I expect them to be better by the end of the season...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Schwarz is being ridiculously overworked. Vancouver has a useless backup goalie, they really need to pick up someone competent to give Schwarz some breaks.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Cerebral said:
Mmmmmmaybe the Oilers scouts weren't as crazy as some believed them to be? :D Schwarz hasn't been great yet but I expect him to round into form. His numbers aren't terrific so far but I expect them to be better by the end of the season...

There is likely an adjustment to a new Culture and Language ...but he did have a very sub-par WJC after really have a stellar one the year prior .. So will the real Schwarz please stand up ...

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
The Messenger said:
There is likely an adjustment to a new Culture and Language ...but he did have a very sub-par WJC after really have a stellar one the year prior .. So will the real Schwarz please stand up ...
Antero Niittymaki did the same thing his first year here and he was written off as AHL/European league material by many people who followed him. After adjusting that first season, Niittymaki has dominated these past two years and now looks like he'll be an NHL starter fairly soon.
I'll definitely wait a while to pass judgement on Schwarz' North American play.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The problem with the numbers is that they don't tell the whole story.....Just recently vs teh T-birds he let in 5 goals but there was only one that you could fault him on as there were passes going through 2 dmen cross crease for tap ins players left wide open in the slot and such...... THe giants defence has left him out to dry and the only one he should not have allowed was on a bad rebound but other than that he will be better than his numbers show when the Giants get Fistric back and don't play him 3 games in 3 days and absolutley kill the guy.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I wouldn't put much stock into Schwarz's numbers, so Blues fans can step back from the ledges and release the sharp objects.

First of all his defence in Vancouver without Fistric is TERRIBLE. Meszaros may be a beast but he cant play 60 minutes a night. Secondly, his back-up is a rookie - a baaaad rookie at that, so his coach is forced to play Schwarz *every* game. Yep, Schwarz has played in every game this season, and that included 5 games in 6 nights. It's quite easy to see what has happened here, Schwarz is fatigued.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
You cant blame some of it on Schwarz. Add that to a change in language and evironment. You cant always be hot. Goalies do have cold streaks. I would be suprised if Schwarz didn't improve soon.

degroat*

Don't worry, monster_bertuzzi, we're not on any ledges looking to jump. That just might be because it was well known even before he was drafted that his fundamentals were raw and that he had plenty to work on in his game. Anyone surprised by his unimpressive numbers must not have known much about him before this year and still must not know much about him... other than his numbers, of course.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Is there just maybe, possibly, a one a in thousand chance that the Oilers and 15 other teams who passed on Schwarz know something about talent? Dubnyk plays on an even worse team in Kamloops, has played a ton of games, and faces a barrage or rubber every night. Here are his stats:

19 GP 1097 Min 524 shots 2.350 GAA 0.918 SV%

….and Dubnyk had a rough first few games of the season. His SV% in Sept was .862 (clearly sub-standard) but in October it rebounded to .920, and so far for November DD has a .933 SV% and a 1.85 GAA.

Schwarz clearly has issues moving to N America – but just maybe he isn’t the next Hasek either.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I still think Schwarz is the best goalie of the draft, and yes I had Montoya ranked higher than him....by 1 spot. Why? I believe Montoya will be a winner in this league and be able to hold teams in when they shouldn't. Athletically and skill-wise, Schwarz is probably the better choice. I'm not sure he will have as illustrious of a career, but he could turn out to be far better than any of his class.

5 games in 6 nights........thats dumbfounding. Speaks well of the coach's confidence in him, and his lack of confidence in the backup.

degroat*

Asiaoil said:
Dubnyk plays on an even worse team in Kamloops, has played a ton of games, and faces a barrage or rubber every night.

Facing more shots is GOOD for a goaltenders save percentage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Asiaoil said:
Dubnyk plays on an even worse team in Kamloops,
Dubnyk has a better defence in front of em'.

…you’ve got a point since Kamloops traded Gordichuk to the Giants and he sucks :joker: but Kamloops is clearly the inferior team overall.

Let the excuses fly – but up to this point in the season – Dubnyk is outplaying Schwarz and the difference is getting bigger not smaller. We’ll see how things end up at the end of the year though……….

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Stich said:
Facing more shots is GOOD for a goaltenders save percentage.

So horrible defense is a good excuse for Schwarz, but facing a lot of shots isn't a good excuse for Dubnyk? Seems to me like there's a correlation.

And no, I'm not labeling Schwarz as a bust yet. He very well may be, or he could develop into the player who make fans think "Dominic Who-sek?" If he's playing bad, though, he's playing bad. It happens to draft picks, especially the ones who are high on life because they were drafted.

It's really not fair to dismiss one player's performance, yet using similar (if not the exact same) logic on your own to excuse poor numbers. Frankly, it's WAY too early to compare any of them.

But no matter what excuse you wish to use, Schwarz's numbers are bad. I'm in a similar boat as a Kings fan with Tukonen not getting much ice time and getting 5 points in 19 games. I seriously have a hard time comprehending why putting up bad numbers THIS EARLY in development is considered a bad thing.

BlueBleeder

Sep 28, 2004
Looking for others
Have to keep in mind this is Dubynk's 4th year in the WHL.

Schwarz will probably need time to adept, and if he is getting overworked and hung out to dry it won't help.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
There is no denying it, Schwartz hasn't been the goalie that he Giants hoped so far. They are struggling on the whole, but Marek needs to be better, and I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you. However there are a lot of intangibles to consider first before you label him a bust, new culture and all...

I would say from what I have seen his positioning is the problem (at least from highlights) seems he's always got to dive across the net. I have only watched one game live, and Schwartz struggled. I don't know who the Giants have as a goalie coach, but someone has to teach this kid some positioning. Fast and agile, but needs to make himself bigger and have to move less.

degroat*

King'sPawn said:
So horrible defense is a good excuse for Schwarz, but facing a lot of shots isn't a good excuse for Dubnyk? Seems to me like there's a correlation.

And no, I'm not labeling Schwarz as a bust yet. He very well may be, or he could develop into the player who make fans think "Dominic Who-sek?" If he's playing bad, though, he's playing bad. It happens to draft picks, especially the ones who are high on life because they were drafted.

It's really not fair to dismiss one player's performance, yet using similar (if not the exact same) logic on your own to excuse poor numbers. Frankly, it's WAY too early to compare any of them.

But no matter what excuse you wish to use, Schwarz's numbers are bad. I'm in a similar boat as a Kings fan with Tukonen not getting much ice time and getting 5 points in 19 games. I seriously have a hard time comprehending why putting up bad numbers THIS EARLY in development is considered a bad thing.

Feel free to go back and show me where I made an excuse for Schwarz's numbers. The only thing I have said about them is that they're not surprising given the fact that it was and still is rather well known that his fundamentals need work.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I would say from what I have seen his positioning is the problem (at least from highlights) seems he's always got to dive across the net. I have only watched one game live, and Schwartz struggled. I don't know who the Giants have as a goalie coach, but someone has to teach this kid some positioning. Fast and agile, but needs to make himself bigger and have to move less.

i tend to think this is a big thing with young goalies, and especially ones with a lot of raw skill. they get by for so long relying on that raw skill that sometimes the crucial but "boring" aspect of the game is left out. though i honestly don't know what level of competition he was up against in the CR compared to where he's at now. but it just seems like a lot of times when you get a young goalie with good skills...the fundamentals are often flawed because they rely on their skill so much. if they can then get the fundamentals down they're fine.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
All I can say is I'm glad the hockey executives that actually make a living developing and implementing prospects have more patience than the typical Hockey's Future poster........

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
King'sPawn said:

Even the WHL stat system must have a bias against Blues prospects! Probably God does as well! Hell, my grandma hates Blues prospects, too even if she's never watched a game!

BIAS BIAS BIAS!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->