Prospect Info: Marcus Davidsson (2017, 37th) 2018-19 Vaxjo Lakers SHL

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
All his assists this season have been primary. He didn't impress me much at development camp but looks to be having a nice rookie season in the SHL.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems typical of how he can make plays at speed after driving the blueline on that first assist. Nice little puck awareness to flip it to his linemate on the second. I am usually impressed with his decision making and pace from the games I've watched of his this year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Watching part of this one... still really like the kid's game. He's another "just a guy" type of player who brings pace.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Joining Alexander Nylander on Team Sweden is fellow Sabres prospect Marcus Davidsson, drafted by Buffalo in the 2017 second round. Davidsson was a late cut from the World Juniors team last year but won Silver with the U-18 team. The forward had a slow start to his pro season in Sweden, but gained more consistent playing time and now has two goals and seven assists through 23 games with Djurgardens IF of the Swedish Hockey League.

"He's a smart kid," Sweden's coach Tomas Monten said. "He's a little bit shy but I think he got a bigger part at home and got more media exposure and younger players, they grow from that. I think it was good for him that he had to struggle a little bit in the beginning because he made sure he didn't do anything half. He made sure he did everything full. He's really strong. I think he's one of the best conditioned players we have and he can carry big minutes for us."

Sweden opens the tournament at 2:00 pm ET on Tuesday playing Belarus in HarborCenter in a Group B matchup.

Rest Of The Article - World Juniors Notebook: Nylander ready for a medal push

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Sorry but still not too happy about this pick. 1 point at the WJC so far after games with Czechs, Belarus and Seitzerland. And he is quite invinsible on the ice for me. I just never liked the relatively low ceiling for an early 2nd round pick. The summer exhibitions and the WJC so far for me personally confirm my initial thoughts. We should have for sure gone for D with that pick instead of going for another Girgensons/Larsson/Pu type. Some hype him up as good prospect and admittedly I dont watch him in the SHL, but when I do see him I just cant see what the fuss is all about, upside is not enough for where he was drafted.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
So, let’s recap.

You don’t like the pick because he projects as another Girgensons type. And he’s only got 1 point.

Your only viewing of him are tournaments. No SHL viewings.

Girgensons is the type of chemistry winger who is helping Eichel focus on offensive.

Yep. Bad pick. :skeptic:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Davidsson has the second lowest ToI of all Swedish forwards and is playing a checking/grinding role and yet he's still managed to be tied for 5th for their forwards in shots on goal. Given his usage and how his line has held up, I have zero complaints. He's still a 2-way guy with excellent speed and versatility. There will be places for him to play up and down a lineup.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
So, let’s recap.

You don’t like the pick because he projects as another Girgensons type. And he’s only got 1 point.

Your only viewing of him are tournaments. No SHL viewings.

Girgensons is the type of chemistry winger who is helping Eichel focus on offensive.

Yep. Bad pick. :skeptic:
Yep, much, much rather go for D with at least middle pairing upside there than for that sort of player. We already have a few players on this team doing what Davidsson could do someday and also have the likes of Pu and Asplund in the pipe. I still think there was no reason to make this pick for redundancy purposes not because he won't become some sort of competenet middle 6 forward. I really hope he is traded for equivalent D prospect, thus fixing what was broken at the draft. We need those much more. The D we got were Bryson and Laaksonen, come on...

And yes tournament showings are still showings against the best of his peers. Against crap teams like Belarus and Switzerland I expect an early 2nd round pick to not be completely invinsible. And unfortunately to me he is.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I didn’t see the game today but he was absolutely fantastic against the Czechs. He’s going to be a very valuable NHLer. Suffocating defensively and on he forecheck.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Davidsson has the second lowest ToI of all Swedish forwards and is playing a checking/grinding role and yet he's still managed to be tied for 5th for their forwards in shots on goal. Given his usage and how his line has held up, I have zero complaints. He's still a 2-way guy with excellent speed and versatility. There will be places for him to play up and down a lineup.
I am not arguing that he likely becomes good role forward some day. My point is we have many of those in the organization and we should have gone with something else with that pick, be it D prospect or at least someone more risky with higher scoring upside. I guess the low TOI contributes to why he seems invisible to me...but again thats what you get with depth, role players like him. Would have much rather taken a risk at some D with middle pairing upside there (be it shutdown or puck mover, we need both). Someone bumped the draft rating thread and I think I said C there. I am still at that grade for that pick even if he becomes some sort of middle 6 NHL forward in a couple of years. Once again we completely ignored organization need and went for some safe pick in a position that we didn't actually need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad