March 2nd TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Remember when 2015 1st's were untouchable on the trade board? How many is that moved now?

The only top 10 teams that still have a first-rounder in this year's draft are: Anaheim, Detroit, Montreal and Tampa Bay still has both theirs and the Rangers'. Boston isn't top 10, but they still have theirs. What can we ship out to get one of them?

CaniacSZN

May 20, 2013
Is anyone else really disappointed in Francis with the returns he got for Tlusty and even Sekera after seeing what some of these other players are getting?

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Is anyone else really disappointed in Francis with the returns he got for Tlusty and even Sekera after seeing what some of these other players are getting?
what deals are you talking about

coburn and yandle both had a year left on their contract. if sekera did he would probably gotten more in return. the sekera deal was great for us

CaniacSZN

May 20, 2013
what deals are you talking about

coburn and yandle both had a year left on their contract. if sekera did he would probably gotten more in return. the sekera deal was great for us

Well, Connolly getting two 2nds and Tlusty getting a 3rd is my main problem. I do like the Sekera deal for us a lot, I'm just saying I see a lot of over payments and felt we could of got more.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
So just general food for thought - Cole has had a great year for the Stars, but, that said, is on the tail end of his career. Any interest (at least from Canes HFBoarders) in seeing Cole return on a 1 or 2 year contract so that he could eventually retire with the team that drafted him?

I'd take Cole on a 1 year deal at about $2 million. He worked well with both Eric and Skins.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Not really. As impeach estaalo said, the bigger deals the defensemen are getting is because they aren't rentals, they have an extra year on their contracts. And BEST case scenario for Tlusty was a late 2nd round pick, but the fact that he only had 23 points in 53 games, only had 3 goals in December, January, and February combined, and is a true UFA rental, he wasn't going to get as much as people had hoped.

We may like to think that there was more to be gotten for these guys, but I really don't think that's the case.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Wow... Coburn got way more than I'd had ever expected. Compare that deal to Sekera when the Canes got him from Buffalo.

Sekera (even at the time) > Coburn
Sekera' contract and term > Coburn

But

Late 1st > early 2nd
Gudas >> Mcbain
3rd >> nothing

I think Tampa got desperate with all the D flying off the market.

Last edited:

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Not really. Who do you think would have paid more for Tlusty and why? I don't really see a comparable player who was traded for more.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Leafs trying hard to deal Phaneuf and might retain salary to do it.

Call me crazy but I'd be interested in him if the price was manageable. Something like:

Murphy + 2nd (almost late 1st) + JM Liles
for
Phaneuf at $5 million

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Leafs trying hard to deal Phaneuf and might retain salary to do it.

Call me crazy but I'd be interested in him if the price was manageable. Something like:

Murphy + 2nd (almost late 1st) + JM Liles
for
Phaneuf at $5 million

Why would TOR be at all interested in taking Liles back? Makes no sense...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Why would TOR be at all interested in taking Liles back? Makes no sense...

Because the Canes can't just add $5 million in salary and would have to send some back. Toronto will not be able to ship Phaneuf anywhere without taking salary back. At least Liles is a player they know and only signed for 1 year at $4 million instead of 6 years at $7 million.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Because the Canes can't just add $5 million in salary and would have to send some back. Toronto will not be able to ship Phaneuf anywhere without taking salary back. At least Liles is a player they know and only signed for 1 year at $4 million instead of 6 years at $7 million.

Still makes no sense from their POV to take back Liles, already knowing he didn't work out there.

I think they'd be able to get much better from a team like DET, who's rumored to actually be discussing Phaneuf. Anyway, I think GMRF makes very small moves, if any, today, and saves any major moves for the draft, if he in his infinite wisdom, deems such a move necessary.

However, I'd love for GMRF to figure out a way to either get Gelinas from NJ or Wiercioch from OTT without paying through the nose...

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I agree that Francis will most likely do nothing. Maybe move out Dwyer. I'd guess he will try to move Semin with zero salary retention but I doubt he finds any takers.

Prices are ridiculously inflated right now.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Is it just me, or will anybody else be ridiculously happy if Toronto can't make another trade today? Maybe with the exception of Rangers fans, I really can't imagine a more annoying fan base.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm pleased with Francis at the deadline so far personally. Three solid trades and a good re-signing. I think the Sekera trade was really great, I think the Gleason trade was spot on, and as time went on, I actually have no problem with the Tlusty trade. I haven't seen anything yet to suggest that any of these deals would have been better if held out until now when there are a dwindling amount of trade partners available. Given the way things went down I think Francis jumped at the right time.

As for today, maybe we see a re-sign of Dwyer, a trade for a young part another team doesn't need a la Wiercioch, and I'm sure attempts to get rid of some of our guys with term, but doubt that will happen. Even if nothing else happens, fairly successful in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad