March 11th Sports TV Ratings

undraftedstlouis

Sep 11, 2004
There's nothing wrong with the NHL's place in the thick of things.

The NHL is a multi-billion dollar enterprise that generates more than substantial revenues to support each of it's 30 teams.

The NHL has fans that are as die-hard, if not more, than any sport in North America, no matter where they're located.

Once the NHL realizes and accepts it's place in the sporting landscape and caters to its' fans instead of "growing the game", it can then focus on the main issues of realistic revenue sharing for the viability for all its' teams.

I mostly agree with this too.

But do you think the NHL could be more successful/profitable with fewer teams?

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
From Kuklas Korner. The NHL on NBC for March 11th actually did a .7 with a 2 share.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/weblog/comments/nhl_on_nbc_ratings2/

Maybe they should start featuring games that have an impact on the playoff race. Plus I'm sure a 12:30 eastern start time doesn't help ratings on the west coast.

It didn't ..... I think the problem with both NBC and VS is that it seems like they're always showing the same three or four teams ....... I understand "local teams" are supposed to draw in "local viewers", however, if you are trying to sell the sport, wouldn't it be a good idea to give fans a variety of teams to watch?

Then again, I have a feeling the only ones watching are already hockey fans ..... NBC needs to promote the NHL broadcasts during their evening shows ... or are they doing that? I must admit, I watch very little TV because most of it is crap.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I'm looking at the playoff picture, and yes it's great that teams like Nashville and Atlanta are going to the playoffs and "growing the sport", but if teams like Toronto, Montreal, NY(both teams), LA- the big markets-don't get in, would that just not take away any gains made my the Preds and Thrashers? What would the ratings look like for a New Jersey/Nashville or Atlanta/Anahiem Stanley Cup final in the US(with respect that it will be wonderful for fans of those teams to watch their team go for it)?

I realize not everyone can get to go to the big dance, but I'm looking at this purely from a economic standpoint-will the lack of big market teams getting in hurt the bottom line ratings wise-is it possible that the league goes for the rumoured 20 team playoff format at some point?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I'm looking at the playoff picture, and yes it's great that teams like Nashville and Atlanta are going to the playoffs and "growing the sport", but if teams like Toronto, Montreal, NY(both teams), LA- the big markets-don't get in, would that just not take away any gains made my the Preds and Thrashers? What would the ratings look like for a New Jersey/Nashville or Atlanta/Anahiem Stanley Cup final in the US(with respect that it will be wonderful for fans of those teams to watch their team go for it)?

I realize not everyone can get to go to the big dance, but I'm looking at this purely from a economic standpoint-will the lack of big market teams getting in hurt the bottom line ratings wise-is it possible that the league goes for the rumoured 20 team playoff format at some point?

Probably, but the thing is many of those big US markets the casual fan won't tune in unless the team makes it further than the 1st or second round. There is just so much going on in those big markets that distract away from sporting events. Not to mention many of those cities have NBA teams and baseball just around the corner.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Probably, but the thing is many of those big US markets the casual fan won't tune in unless the team makes it further than the 1st or second round. There is just so much going on in those big markets that distract away from sporting events. Not to mention many of those cities have NBA teams and baseball just around the corner.

I guess for me I have to tune out the media(have to do a lot these days)who say one of two things: When Small market teams go far in the playoffs, the (Canadian) media hue and cry about how the lack of big markets not making the playoffs with mean ratings busts in the states. Yet when big markets make it, the hue and cry about how they aren't growing the game, therefore more proof that expansion/economics whatever have failed in the NHL.

I suppose Canadian media writing a positive story either way would cause armageddon huh? (Or more importantly it won't sell advertising space, because NO ONE wants to read good news) :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad