FOX
Sunday
4:00 NASCAR Nextel Cup - 5.5

NBC
Sunday
12:30 NHL: Boston vs. Detroit/Carolina vs. NY Rangers - 1.1

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
How about in February, 3 Games (TB vs. NJ, COL vs. DAL, CHI vs. CLB) we drew a 0.9 and in March, 2 Games (BOS vs. DET, CAR vs. NYR) drew a 1.1

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
well lets look at the bright side.. we werent that far off the nba

I remember reading Sports Illustrated during the lockout, and I read a lot of stuff which talked about how unpopular the NBA was at that time-guess they didn't have hockey to pick on.

What I'm surprised at is Nascar getting a 5.5- is this usual ratings for them? To hear the wonderful media tell it, Nascar is this bursting behemoth that is going to give(depending on the media) the NFL or MLB a run for its money. Interesting to see that(what I consider low for the amount of media that reports on it)number.

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
i remember nascar ratings being a heck of a lot higher then that a couple of years ago.. i guess the novelty is wearing off on some people after their big boom of popularity

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
nhl is not far off from the nba. i'm surprised. however nba was showing sac vs. denver(not the two most pop. teams) while nhl was showing rangers and detroit.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
How does that compare with the later timeslot the NHL had earlier this year. (3:30 I think?) And the Saturday timeslots last year?

X0ssbar

The closeness of these two is the best part of these ratings.

Yep and of course you'll never hear the same people who slam the NHL's ratings bring up these ratings as a comparison and if they did they would find a way to spin it in the NBA's favor vs. the NHL.

Also another great point brought up about the the cost. I would really be interested in knowing how much it cost these networks per ratings point. I gotta believe that NBC would be pretty happy with that ratio.]

Its certainly an uphill battle for the NHL in the ratings/media game.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
OT: fer sure;
But I was intiriged listening to the FAN590/Rogers Radio "Prime Time Sports" show last night. That Sportsnet gave up "March Madness" because the numbers weren't there. They even said that the CIS Final 8 had about the same numbers.
Nothing to do with March 11 or NHL but .......okay I have no excuses.:shakehead
Just wanted to stick that tidbit in somewhere ;)

GSC2k2*

All this is true. One thing of note, however, is that what the networks REALLY are paying for is the right to broadcast the playoffs, which earn significantly better ratings than the regular season Sunday broadcasts.

This also does take into account the particular demographics of the audiences, although I would assume that the NHL has a very desirable demo (just not as much of it as one might prefer).

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
The NHL game was pretty early in the AM in the west + those games didn't seem interesting in the west either.
The NBA game was not a good matchup
Nascar is dropping in popularity
March Madness is this weekend coming up

I think there is this misconception that the NBA is 'successful'

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
That's what I think...1.1 aint bad when u look at NBA's numbers.

Maybe we should put nhl players in little gocarts and they can skid around the ice...Nascar fans may tune in. Intermission!

What a cool idea, bring fans down to "race" against the NHL stars for prizes-
Anyone here work in marketing? ;)

OT-I think Nascar's tinkering to try and make it more fan/business friendly (ala Chase for the Cup) actually turned off a lot of the old school Nascar fans and is confusing the newer fans(don't get me started on the "car of tomorrow")

Be interesting to see what the ratings are when Baseball hits full swing.

BTW to the thread starter, where did you get the numbers from?

LVIsles*

I worked that Nascar event here in Vegas, first time I ever really saw a race, it was kind of cool at first but that **** gets old fast, I just dont get it how you can sit there for hours watching cars go round and around ,, the ending Saturday was cool but that was only like the last 20 seconds

I even heard some Nascar fans talk about how boring it is and how they can only do it once a year,,,, and people get into that, thousands and thousands of RVs came from around the country and camped out around the track

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Yep and of course you'll never hear the same people who slam the NHL's ratings bring up these ratings as a comparison and if they did they would find a way to spin it in the NBA's favor vs. the NHL.
Exactly. Listen to almost any national sports talk radio show in the US, and you'll hear the ridicule of the NHL as the sport that "no one" watches, followed immediately by hours of talk about the "incredibly popular" NBA.

(And I realize that the ratings gap does widen during the playoffs, but these commentaries from national talkers are most certainly not directed at, or limited to, playoff hockey/basketball. Their commentary is just as geared toward the regular season.)

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
There's nothing wrong with the NHL's place in the thick of things.

The NHL is a multi-billion dollar enterprise that generates more than substantial revenues to support each of it's 30 teams.

The NHL has fans that are as die-hard, if not more, than any sport in North America, no matter where they're located.

Once the NHL realizes and accepts it's place in the sporting landscape and caters to its' fans instead of "growing the game", it can then focus on the main issues of realistic revenue sharing for the viability for all its' teams.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Let's also point out that if we earn a 1.1 average for the 06-07 season on NBC, it will equal NBC's average last year, as well as ABC's average in '01, '03, and '04

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
There's nothing wrong with the NHL's place in the thick of things.

The NHL is a multi-billion dollar enterprise that generates more than substantial revenues to support each of it's 30 teams.

The NHL has fans that are as die-hard, if not more, than any sport in North America, no matter where they're located.

Once the NHL realizes and accepts it's place in the sporting landscape and caters to its' fans instead of "growing the game", it can then focus on the main issues of realistic revenue sharing for the viability for all its' teams.

I feel similar along these lines. Simply work to your strengths and eventually you'll get others interested of their own merit and you can "grow" the game from there. I've wondered if the NHL should've taken the NLL approach to teams-if you're interested, here's the fee, you have x amount of years to make it work, otherwise we move the franchise-but then I realize the NLL and NHL are two different animals, so that may not work.

As it is, I think the NHL has too many franchises, but that's another thread entirely.

undraftedstlouis

Sep 11, 2004
I wonder what ratings these networks would get by running telethons? There's some sort of basement number and I'm guessing BOTH the NBA and NHL are close. I don't think many sports fans care about the NBA regular season very much. And in the NBA I'm guessing there's not much interest in watching ANY games except the local one (maybe a random LeBron James game, etc at the most). And the NBA on ESPN is probably rating much better than the NHL on VS (part of the NBA/ABC/ESPN deal). So what ESPN (ABC) is paying for is probably the brand association, not the Saturday afternoon ratings power. Outside of football, casual American sports fans only seem to care about major events and playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->