Marcel Hossa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zett'

Mar 31, 2004
Do you think he will produce in the nhl and what style do you compare him? Is he more a second line or 1st line player? Why didn't he make the team this year? What is his real potential?

post your opinion

leafaholix*

He's been a real disappointment this year.

I think he's got great talent, but he's definately not a safe prospect.

leafaholix*

JasonMacIsaac said:
He is a Fedor Fedorov type player meaning........HUGE BUST.
Except Fedorov wasn't draft in the top 14 picks.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
True enough...I was just comparing talent's of the players. Both are extreamly talented but will never make it to the NHL full time. Hossa isn't tough enough to be a 3rd/4th liner but isn't smart enough to be a scoring line player.

leafaholix*

JasonMacIsaac said:
He isn't smart though, I have seen many players with loads of talent but arn't smart enough to make it on a scoring line.
Smart?

What do you mean?

Hockey sense?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Leafaholix said:
Smart?

What do you mean?

Hockey sense?
Yes, His hockey sence with and without the puck seems way below average. He doesn't know how to get open, he rarley makes a good play with the puck.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Hossa's hockey sense is his strength. His play without the puck, size and play along the boards is what's gotten him a spot on Montreal's lineup out of training camp.

His determination and willingness to drive the net is what's kept him out of the NHL.

In order for Hossa to succeed he needs to drive the net with authority. When he wins a battle along the boards he needs to create room for himself and go towards the slot. He fails to do this all too often. Instead what Hossa looks to do is hold the puck along the boards, shielding off an opposition defenseman with his size, until one of his linemates (Plekanec usually) comes by to pick up the puck and make a play.

A lot of it is confidence in my opinion. Hossa doesn't play with a whole lot of confidence. He doesn't seem to realize how strong he is and how able he is to control the boards then drive towards the crease.

When Hossa was called up and went on a mini-tear and started getting hyped, it was because he was playing like a power forward: controlling the side and end-boards, then driving right through big defensemen and getting a shot on net. He would get 5-6 shots a night doing this, then picking up his own rebound.

As for his play this season....

He was solid in Montreal on the boards and in the neutral zone without the puck, but his play with the puck suffered (for the exact reasons explained above). Once sent down, Hossa was miserable. I don't know if it was lacking confidence or sulking but he was miserable out there. Then in the last couple months he's turned it around and been solid yet unspectacular. He's still not doing what he needs to do to in order to be successful, but he is going to the high slot and staying around the net a little more.

For your initial question Zett...

I think that if Hossa does start using his size with authority then he can be a first line talent. He needs to play more like Richard Zednik, and I think he has the capabilities to far surpass Zednik's achievements.

He does have the hockey sense and size to be a third line player. I'm not sure if he would ever make it in this capacity though. The reason I say that is because I believe Hossa will either make it big or he'll lack the refinement in his game to play in a third line capacity. It is conceivable that he would make it in a third line capacity strictly based on the fact that he's big, strong, a good skater, knows his own end and does win battles for the puck. But he'll always be a player leaving you wanting more.

As Leafaholix stated, he's certainly not a 'safe' prospect.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
I doubt Hossa will ever be a first line player, I think he tops out at second and that may be a stretch.

My opinion: he'll make the NHL if he wants to. Whether it be as a 3rd liner or whatever, he has the talent and size to play, but from what I've heard his mind is his biggest weakness. I've also heard that he has matured a bit, but we'll see. There's several players who are much younger who seem light years ahead of Marcel in the maturity department.

Munchausen

JasonMacIsaac said:
Yes, His hockey sence with and without the puck seems way below average.

Hockey sense bellow average? Give me a break. I'd say smarts on the ice are more a strenght of his than anything.

The reason he wasn't able to score alot in Montreal was because he's got a confidence problem and also because he thinks more like a setter than a scorer right now (and wrongly so considering the skill set he posesses).

He's not a sniper though. He looks to make the pass 1st. His game is a supportive role, which means work the corners and cycle the puck down low until someone gets open in the crease, where he'll either move it along the boards to someone else or pass it for a one-timer. But he does have an incredible shot, and he's starting to use it a bit more it seems as he's getting close to a shot a game more than last year in the AHL.

Hossa's confidence was at an all time low when he was sent down to Hamilton but he picked it up eventually (after 20 games of virtually no production whatsoever) and is now producing with regularity. I've always thought Hossa's ceiling would be 2nd liner with 25g and 30a upside, mainly because I think he'll always battle with himself to find a grove and get consistent.

He's a strong forechecker and does all the little things well off the puck that will open up ice for his linemates, but is not the best finisher (well he's got the skills, but lacks confidence in his abilities and the scorer instinct, which has nothing to do with hockey sense). He's very strong and hard to knock off the puck in the corners on top of that.

He, Ribeiro and Ryder seemed to have good chemistry and were dominant all game long (the only one) where they were matched together before Hossa was sent down. Perfect line IMO. One big body (Hossa) to work the corners and use his speed and size to forecheck, one playmaker (Ribeiro) that likes to control the play and dipsee-doodle in the offensive zone and set opened linemates and one sniper (Ryder) that can take quick and precise wristers from the crease and one-time admirably well, as well as go to the net and take the abuse to score.

Now all that being said, this is "what could be" but obviously Hossa has a long way to go to get there. He needs to play more aggressively and gain some long lost confidence back. When he plays hard, he looks like a PF out there (and those kind of players can take a while to develop and find a way to put it all together).

But saying Hossa doesn't have hockey sense is wrong. Chad Kilger doesn't have hockey sense. Hossa does the little things without the puck as well as you want it to be, he just needs to find it in him to hold on to the puck longer and make plays by himself using his great strenght and smooth mechanics rather than letting it to his center to make things happen. Maturity and confidence will go a long way in making this possible.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
Mike8 said:
Hossa's hockey sense is his strength. His play without the puck, size and play along the boards is what's gotten him a spot on Montreal's lineup out of training camp.

His determination and willingness to drive the net is what's kept him out of the NHL.

I _STRONGLY_ disagree. Hossa doesn't have a good hockey sense, as MacIsaac said he can't find open ice and he has trouble spotting teammates (he makes blind passes more often than not). As for his play along the boards, he lacks mobility, if he touches the puck facing the boards he will never turn around to try to get out of there, he'll face the boards as long as the battle lasts and will always end up losing it because of this lack of mobility.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
rahan said:
I _STRONGLY_ disagree. Hossa doesn't have a good hockey sense, as MacIsaac said he can't find open ice and he has trouble spotting teammates (he makes blind passes more often than not). As for his play along the boards, he lacks mobility, if he touches the puck facing the boards he will never turn around to try to get out of there, he'll face the boards as long as the battle lasts and will always end up losing it because of this lack of mobility.

I think this all comes back to what's causing Hossa the most trouble... nobody quite knows what to make of him. If you want him to find open ice and spot teammates with nifty passes, then, sure, he's got problems. He doesn't think that way. But people look at his skill set and try to shove a square peg into a round hole. And some of those people seem to have influence on Hossa, because sometimes it seems like he gets down and thinks he's supposed to do those things, but can't quite figure out how.

If you can ever get the cobwebs of so many different sets of expectations cleared out of his mind, he could actually be a valuable 2nd line player. Not the guy you look to for a big goal or a pretty play, but rather a guy who moves up and down his wing, digs and controls the puck along the boards, controls and protects it in the offensive zone, and occasionally surprises you because of the skills buried beneath the workmanlike exterior. If he could set himself on this path, he'd be great for Ribeiro and Ryder. He'd gain a label as an "underrated" player greatly appreciated by his linemates, despite scoring at a good clip below them.

:dunno:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The last game I was at, Hossa played the worst game I've seen from him. I'm shocked Jarvis didn't bench him, as he did nothing all game but take a stupid penalty while on the PP.

That said I think Marcel can still be a great player in the NHL, although I have major doubts that will ever happen. The kid seems to have zero confidence. When he gets the puck, he will not carry it up ice for long, he always looks to pass. He has a wicked wrist shot, but just does not use it enough. I love his shot, and he will score a lot if he just starts shooting more. I haven't seen him play in over a month now, so I can't say how he's doing in his turnaround, as he's been producing a lot more lately. He's 5th in team scoring, having played less games then the other top scorers, 56-18-21-39 +7 those numbers aren't crappy but if not for the last month and half, the numbers would be much lower. Hopefully theres a season next year, and Hossa comes to camp ready to shoot the puck!

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
rahan said:

That's a little more than silly, I think.

If it's a lack of mobility then that would indicate he's unable to turn with the puck away from the boards and drive the net. Since he has done this numerous times, this clearly is not the case.

As far as finding open players to pass the puck to: that has little to do with hockey sense. Hossa's positioning is a strength, not a weakness. That's hockey sense. His anticipation of the play and ability to get into passing lanes in the neutral zone is a strength. That's some more hockey sense.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
when will people get more patient with prospects... Ryder played in the echl two years ago and now he's one of our best player. Hossa has some qualities that Ryder has too. He's strong on the puck, has a quick release shot, can setup a good play. Just wait.... He might turn into a good player.

Munchausen

Kryoptix said:
I remember the famous
Hossa-Ribeiro-Ryder line !!! this line was perfect !!
i sure hope he'll play again with them one day !! :jump:

I never understood why Julien dismanteled it after just one game. They were far and away our biggest threat to score all night long, buzzing in the offensive zone and creating lots of chances. The chemistry was definitelly there and they completed each other admirably. But we were in a major slump and lost that night, and Julien was juggling his lines game after game... And Hossa just went on the 4th line, in the pressbox and a few days later in Hamilton. I want to see that line again next year, with more experienced Ribeiro and Ryder.

Rather Gingerly 1*

I don't think Hossa has the soft hands to be a first line player. He'll never be a big scorer.

He does have size, skating ability and strength. If he chooses to use these abilities and work his butt off every night....he can be a very good third line NHLer. But will he work hard enough? That's the question with Hossa right now

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
This coming september if there is a season will be huge training camp for Marcel Hossa and Also Ron Hainsey. If they both don't make the team, they will have to be waived to go play in the AHL.

Now it will be hard making the team with Alexander Perezhogin, Christopher Higgins and Tomas Plekanec having great seasons. Also, Andrei Kostsitsyn might sign a contract to show up in training camp..

Randall Graves*

Just because his name is Hossa doesn't mean he'll be good.

He's got bust written all over him.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
JasonMacIsaac said:
True enough...I was just comparing talent's of the players. Both are extreamly talented but will never make it to the NHL full time. Hossa isn't tough enough to be a 3rd/4th liner but isn't smart enough to be a scoring line player.

Wouldn't you think that it is incredibly ridiculous to label either of these guys busts already? Especially Hossa????
I mean geez, it isnt like he is 29 and has maxed out his potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad