Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I really like Staal and but like others I do have some concerns.

I think that the question marks about his NHL potential are valid. As Blind Gardien said, Staal is kind of stuck in the middle. He's a solid defender who rarely makes mistakes, he's an excellent skater, he rarely panics with the puck and knows what to do with it (makes the safe play). But on the other hand he isn't as physical as you'd generally like to see a potential stay at home defenseman to be. Sometimes I question his offensive instincts and ability to eventually be able to put up offensive numbers. Is he a first pairing defenseman, or is he a second pairing defenseman? Either way, he seems like a sure bet to be an NHL'er, it's just at what capacity. It sort of falls into the Andrew Ladd territory. If a team feels comfortable in knowing what Staal is, and knows what they are getting, then they could take him in the top 10, top 5. But I'm not sure that happens here with all the forward talent available.

Where would I draft Staal? Definitely not top 5, and probably not even top 10. I think that Johnson is really the only defenseman whom I'd touch in that area. I do really like Staal, but I'm a firm believer that with a top 10 pick, you should be going for a guy whom you feel can be a very significant part of your team (a first line forward, first line defenseman or top goalie) and I'm not sold on Staal becoming that type of player. Don't get me wrong, I think Staal is a great player and a great prospect but I feel like because of the lack of really top end defensive talent available after Johnson, Staal is being thrown into the top 10 area, when in reality I think he's more along the lines of the next tier down, a 10-20 kind of selection.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
expofan said:
And another entering the OHL this year. Jared, I believe.

Next year is his draft year. By reading what others have said, and looking at his stats, it's highly unlikely he will even play in the OHL next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->