Marc Staal vs. Ryan Parent

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How would you compare these WJC defense partners? Both are primarily defensive defenseman, though Marc Staal has shown more offensive ability in the OHL. Both are pretty similar size and move pretty well, certainly for their size. Staal was the 12th pick in 2005, Parent the 18th pick.

So how do they compare? Who is better, why, and by how much?

Bam Beet*

A Flyers fan creating a thread about Parent? I didn't see that coming. ;) Staal is probably better but both are very good.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Staal has the higher profile name, and the better offensive game,

but I take the suffocating, lightning fast, great first passing shutdown guy over that, any time. I've said this all along, and now I can say it without being a homer.

Philly, you have a GEM. Parent is the next Regehr.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site

but I take the suffocating, lightning fast, great first passing shutdown guy over that, any time. I've said this all along, and now I can say it without being a homer.

the question is: how is Staal not a great first passing shutdown guy? You act as if Staal isn't everybit the defensive player that Parent is. This isn't an either or thing, Staal and Parent are BOTH great defensive players, and the defensive zone is where they will both earn they're paychecks in the future.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A Flyers fan creating a thread about Parent? I didn't see that coming. ;) Staal is probably better but both are very good.
I was trying to get an idea as to just how good the kid is and what better way to do that then to compare him to a great D prospect and future division rival in Staal?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

I'm confused..Staal over Staal? Because you're pretty much describing Staal. Staal might not be blazing fast but has more of a physical side then Parent and like you said, offensive side.

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
Ill take Parent. I thought he was the best defenseman in the WJC the year Staal won the honor. He owned Phil Kessel. Not going to be an offensive dynamo, but looks to be a great shutdown defenseman.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
I was trying to get an idea as to just how good the kid is and what better way to do that then to compare him to a great D prospect and future division rival in Staal?

it's a perfeclty fine comparison, they both play similar, defense first games. Both will be very good shut down defensmen in the NHL. The differance is that Staal has shown a much better two way game, up to this point, than Parent has.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
it's a perfeclty fine comparison, they both play similar, defense first games. Both will be very good shut down defensmen in the NHL. The differance is that Staal has shown a much better two way game, up to this point, than Parent has.
The thing I like most about what I'm hearing regarding Parent is that he'll be a tremendous fit with Joni Pitkanen. Joni plays his best hockey paired with a defensive defenseman and if Parent develops, they could make a tremendous 1st pair.

How many years away do people think that Parent is? Will he spend a year or two in the AHL before making the jump or is he pretty much ready?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The thing I like most about what I'm hearing regarding Parent is that he'll be a tremendous fit with Joni Pitkanen. Joni plays his best hockey paired with a defensive defenseman and if Parent develops, they could make a tremendous 1st pair.

How many years away do people think that Parent is? Will he spend a year or two in the AHL before making the jump or is he pretty much ready?

he played in the playoffs for the Admirals last season, and struggled a bit. I'd say that he could likely use a full year in the AHL next year..with some callups to see how he handles it...but who knows. on a rebuilding team, maybe they just want to let him dive right in rather than get his feet wet.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
he played in the playoffs for the Admirals last season, and struggled a bit. I'd say that he could likely use a full year in the AHL next year..with some callups to see how he handles it...but who knows. on a rebuilding team, maybe they just want to let him dive right in rather than get his feet wet.
Ed Snider tonight: "We don't know what rebuilding is". The Flyers are going to be EXTREMELY active in free agency this year so I don't think they'll be counting on Parent.

shortcat1

Jan 25, 2005
Downtown Palau, ON
This is simply an adapted copy of the post that put in the related Parent/Johnson thread...

Ask the Flyers... they couldn't give a poop...

They've got Ryan Parent... Staal isn't even in their consideration...

So, for them, Parent is the best...

Skyblaze

Aug 17, 2006
Montreal
Based on current projections, I wouldn't take one over the other and would be ecstatic at having either of them.

Neither plays a very flashy style but they're very efficient defensemen. The kind of guy you rarely hear about on the news but the day he gets injured, his team goes on a losing streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->