Marc staal vs. Luc Bourdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRGoalieGlut*

I noticed that quite a few mock drafts had Staal going to the Canucks at #10. Instead he went just two picks later to the Rangers. Without any bias, even though that's tough to expect, who do you guys think is better, can you preferably say why as well?

P.S. Why can't I make a poll? I don't see an option for it.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
You can only post polls on the poll board. To answer your question, I'm not sure. They have very similar potential so the next few years will tell a clearer tale

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Staal plays better defense, Bourdon is more offensive(which i think is why Van chose him over Staal). Both good skaters, both have good size (though they both have to put on some more muscle). I'd give the slight edge to Staal at the moment..but thats only by from what I read...next year will tell a lot like leg said.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
I've only ever seen each about 5 times, but I like Bourdon because IMO he has a higher upside. Based on HF rankings, I would put Bourdon as a 8C and Staal as a 7B or something like that.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
jin said:
I've only ever seen each about 5 times, but I like Bourdon because IMO he has a higher upside. Based on HF rankings, I would put Bourdon as a 8C and Staal as a 7B or something like that.

IMO he's an 8B, he has potential to be a #1 dman, but scouts say he's a #3/4 dman at worst.

NYRGoalieGlut*

Legionnaire said:
You can only post polls on the poll board. To answer your question, I'm not sure. They have very similar potential so the next few years will tell a clearer tale

I can start polls on the Rangers board at HF.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Personally I thought Bourdon was likely to be a Ranger. I hadn't given any thought to Staal because I thought he was gone at 6-10.

I like Bourdon's skating and ability to eliminate a guy without compromising his balance. On the other hand I like Staal's poise with the puck and his authority in his own zone.

It's a close call but ultimately I think both of these guys are going to be playing in the league one day.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
BigE said:
Personally I thought Bourdon was likely to be a Ranger. I hadn't given any thought to Staal because I thought he was gone at 6-10.

I like Bourdon's skating and ability to eliminate a guy without compromising his balance. On the other hand I like Staal's poise with the puck and his authority in his own zone.

It's a close call but ultimately I think both of these guys are going to be playing in the league one day.

Bourdon was a top 15 pick, and wasn't going to fall past that. Many scouts had him not leaving the top 10.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Russian_fanatic said:
Bourdon was a top 15 pick, and wasn't going to fall past that. Many scouts had him not leaving the top 10.

I think it depended on the team and what they wanted. I know that Poile said Nashville was shocked that Parent fell to them, because THEY felt he was the second best d-man in the draft. I'm sure some teams felt that way about Staal, some about Bourdon.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
nomorekids said:
I think it depended on the team and what they wanted. I know that Poile said Nashville was shocked that Parent fell to them, because THEY felt he was the second best d-man in the draft. I'm sure some teams felt that way about Staal, some about Bourdon.

True, Kopitar is a very good example.

Large_Farva*

gabpas said:
Bourdon was the best defenceman at the U18. Both very good prospects.

If Staal was there it's a different story though.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Large_Farva said:
If Staal was there it's a different story though.

Heh, I guess you're also missing the point that Bourdon was an all tournament defenseman too?

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but, should, and, if.

Don't make assumptions. Bourdon was one of the better defensemen in the Q this year, and I'll even say OHL this year, but his team was one of the worst teams in the OHL. People who have seen them both play know Bourdon is just as good as Staal, but owns more offensive upside. Nothing against Staal here at all, but I feel this way. One knock on Staal was his upside he's most likely a #3, or #4 at the NHL level, but Bourdon has potential to be be a #1 defenseman, while being a safe pick to be a second pairing type guy.

Although that is your honest opinion Large_Farva(even though I don't agree on them) even if you want to make assumptions. Bourdon is more physical, better hitter, and owns better offensive upside, and more potential.

Although BOTH will be great players in the NHL for a long, long, long time.

Edit-This guy is known to bash The Canuck's, as you can tell by his post history.

Last edited:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
nomorekids said:

Right on target. After Jack Johnson there were probably 4-5 guys who at least one team had as "#2". It constantly irritates me when people say, pre-draft, so and so WILL GO BEFORE PLAYER X. All it takes is one team, and more often than not "consensus" is some ficticiously determined compilation of opinions on HFBoards rather than the more educated estimations of professional scouts.

I have no problem with people preparing lists and orders and all that. But it boggles my mind how people constantly run each other down because their opinion isn't the norm. It's like some sort of cyber-racism. He's different, make fun of him for his difference!!!

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
Right on target. After Jack Johnson there were probably 4-5 guys who at least one team had as "#2". It constantly irritates me when people say, pre-draft, so and so WILL GO BEFORE PLAYER X. All it takes is one team, and more often than not "consensus" is some ficticiously determined compilation of opinions on HFBoards rather than the more educated estimations of professional scouts.

Exactly. The Senators had Brian Lee as the fourth best player in the draft, though some teams didn't even see him as a first rounder. So who's right? Ask again in five years.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think Staal is a pretty safe bet to be a SOLID NHLer. Bourdon can be an amazing #1 if he puts it all together or a decent 4/5 guy. I think he will fall somewhere in the middle to be honest. Like a 3/4 guy who logs a lot of powerplay minutes.

Large_Farva*

Russian_fanatic said:
Edit-This guy is known to bash The Canuck's, as you can tell by his post history.

I don't really bash the Canucks, I just point out the things you guys don't want to hear.

But anyways, the fact is, every place had Staal ahead of Bourdon except the Canucks clearly.

Bourdon IS the more physical of the two, and DOES have the harder shot. But remember this, Staal makes the better passes, is the better skater, has more hockey sense, and is clearly the better defensive player.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Reveille! said:
I think Staal is a pretty safe bet to be a SOLID NHLer. Bourdon can be an amazing #1 if he puts it all together or a decent 4/5 guy. I think he will fall somewhere in the middle to be honest. Like a 3/4 guy who logs a lot of powerplay minutes.

Agree, but I think Bourdon will be more of a #2 dman.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Large_Farva said:
But anyways, the fact is, every place had Staal ahead of Bourdon except the Canucks clearly.

Basing this on what? Lots of public lists but the teams don't pay much attention to those. Staal slipped a to 12, Kopitar slipped 11, Lee jumped, Setag jumped, Price jumped. We have no idea what so far what teams had Bourdon ranked above Staal besides the Nucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->