Marc Staal vs Jack Johnson

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
Both are 05 draftees. Now which one is the better prospect? Who will have a more successful NHL career? Are their offensive upsides comparable?

This isn't even fair.

Jack Johnson FTW, the only way you'd think Marc Staal was a better prospect is if you're Marc Staal. Defensively Staal is better but mean streak wise and offensively JMFJ takes the cake and visciously elbows it too.

Coug555

Aug 3, 2005
Not even fair?! Even though it's early to tell, I think its a lot closer. My pick is Staal though.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
This isn't even fair.

Jack Johnson FTW, the only way you'd think Marc Staal was a better prospect is if you're Marc Staal. Defensively Staal is better but mean streak wise and offensively JMFJ takes the cake and visciously elbows it too.
that's not true, the Rangers apparently turned down Staal for Johnson.

I'd take Johnson though, because his upside is much higher IMO.

AgentNaslund*

JJ and its not even close. Staal has 1 point in the past 2 world Juniors. Staal is awesome too btw, its just I would take Johnson rather quite easily.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
that's not true, the Rangers apparently turned down Staal for Johnson.

I'd take Johnson though, because his upside is much higher IMO.

I thought that was the Pens and Jordan Staal

Randall Graves*

JJ and its not even close. Staal has 1 point in the past 2 world Juniors. Staal is awesome too btw, its just I would take Johnson rather quite easily.
Staal has arguably been the best defensemen of all that have played at the WJC's the last two years..

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Johnson plays a great offensive and physical game, as well as a good defensive game. Staal plays a great defensive game, with a decent physical involvement and a little offense.

It really depends on what sort of player you want. Johnson's better all-around, but I'd take Staal for his shut-down capabilities.

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course

Do not forget Marc Staal was asked to forgo his offense and shut down some of the best offensive WJC players for which he was awarded best DMan in 05, and replicated this feat in 06(w/out Best Dman) and came away w/ 2 Gold medals. JJ has how many Gold medals? Don't get me wrong, I think very highly of JJ and would have loved him on NYR, just they seem to be 2 entirely different Dmen. One a dominant shut down type D, 2nd a great all around D, who is more comfortable on O. It will be interesting to see where their pro careers take them and how they are viewed 5-7 yrs down road.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I'd take Staal, who would you rather have Jovo or Ohlund, i'd take Ohlund without hesitation. I think thats the type of players they will become

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
JJ without a doubt.

In my mind, JJ is about as good as (and perhaps has even more upside than) Erik Johnson.

Erik Johnson > Marc Staal. Thus, Jack Johnson is also > Staal.

That doesnt take away anything from Staal, who is likely to be a stellar defenseman for years to come.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Marc Staal. In hindsight, the dumbest thing Rutherford did about this situation was draft Johnson ahead of Staal. Staal would be a perfect fit for what we're trying to do. I think Jack Johnson has the higher upside, but Marc Staal is virtually bust proof with the style of game that he plays. Very cerebral and can play in any situation.

Haik

Feb 11, 2005
I'd take Staal, who would you rather have Jovo or Ohlund, i'd take Ohlund without hesitation. I think thats the type of players they will become

What if the choice was Pronger or Ohlund? Cause if you think Staal is guaranteed to become an Ohlund type player than it's very possible for Johnson to become a Norris caliber player like Pronger.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What if the choice was Pronger or Ohlund? Cause if you think Staal is guaranteed to become an Ohlund type player than it's very possible for Johnson to become a Norris caliber player like Pronger.

Pronger and JJ are very different style-wise, so I'm not exactly sure why anyone would use that as an analogy.

And about your reaction to Caniacforever's post - rather than insinuating bias, why don't you try to find one thing wrong with what he wrote?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Marc Staal. In hindsight, the dumbest thing Rutherford did about this situation was draft Johnson ahead of Staal. Staal would be a perfect fit for what we're trying to do. I think Jack Johnson has the higher upside, but Marc Staal is virtually bust proof with the style of game that he plays. Very cerebral and can play in any situation.

Didn't some members of the Carolina scouting staff prefer Marc Staal over Jack Johnson?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

Or, who would you rather have? Rob Blake or Mattias Norstrom? I'd take Blake.

Fair enough, i just dont think JJ will be that good, but thats just my opinion.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Didn't some members of the Carolina scouting staff prefer Marc Staal over Jack Johnson?

There have been unconfirmed reports of that, yes. Talk was that it was split right down the middle in terms of scouting and management that Staal would be the better selection. One of Jim Rutherford or Peter Karmanos made the executive decision to take Johnson. They rolled the dice and got burned, but it happens.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

No, the dumbest thing Rutherford did is believe he could strong arm a kid into becoming a pro when he it was clear that wasn't going to happen, get pissed, and trade him out of spite.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There have been unconfirmed reports of that, yes. Talk was that it was split right down the middle in terms of scouting and management that Staal would be the better selection. One of Jim Rutherford or Peter Karmanos made the executive decision to take Johnson. They rolled the dice and got burned, but it happens.

Why do you keep misrepresenting the context of this situation? You're making it out like Staal is the Norris Trophy winner and Johnson is the biggest bust since Scott Lachance. Neither prospect has proven anything at the NHL level. All that's been accomplished is Rutherford made a snap decision to get rid of an asset that wouldn't play his kind of ball.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Fair enough, i just dont think JJ will be that good, but thats just my opinion.

I think the Ed Jovanovski comparison is pretty spot on. Jovanovski doesn't get his fair share of credit for how decent a player he is, but he's not the most responsible defenseman in his own end and he has really strong offensive instincts. I think the same description could be made of Johnson, only he's smaller and faster.

Even watching the highlights of his 3 goal performance a few weeks ago, it's obvious that he's a very aggressive pincher and risk taker. Not quite a riverboat gambler like Sandis Ozolinsh, but for all three of those goals save the powerplay goal from the point, which was a heck of a shot, he was in a position that you're not likely to see a defenseman play in the NHL. The 2nd goal he was jumping up on the play too hard and the 3rd goal he was on a 2 on 1 for crying out loud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad