Marc Staal ready?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
With the Sudbury Wolves out of the playoffs, Rangers management has been quoted as to be trying to get Staal up in New York ASAP for some ice time. Do you think he's ready?

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Crease29 said:
With the Sudbury Wolves out of the playoffs, Rangers management has been quoted as to be trying to get Staal up in New York ASAP for some ice time. Do you think he's ready?

I've not seen him play apart from TV, but Mike Toth was on the Fan recently talking about the OHL. I guess he gets to see alot of games, and he was saying he thought Staal has some seriouse issues to work on in his game. Toth was thinking he was alone in thinking this, but then he started talking to scouts who by and large agreed with him.

So I'm sure if Toth voiced his opinion, he'd give a big No to the NHL for Staal this year... but I'm sure you'd find other opinions.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Crease29 said:
He's "ready enough", IMO. Surely it can only help him to hang around on the taxi squad during the playoff run. That'd be a no-brainer, IMO.

If it comes to playing as an NHL regular next season... well... again, he's probably "ready enough". I'm not sure I'm a big fan of rushing a young defenseman into regular NHL duty, and it wouldn't *hurt* Staal if he didn't move immediately to the NHL.

But it is also true IMO that he doesn't have a whole lot left to do or be challenged by in the OHL. Basically, he'd be a good candidate for my special 1-player-per-team-underage-AHL-exemption rule proposal as a baseline.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Blind Gardien said:
He's "ready enough", IMO. Surely it can only help him to hang around on the taxi squad during the playoff run. That'd be a no-brainer, IMO.

If it comes to playing as an NHL regular next season... well... again, he's probably "ready enough". I'm not sure I'm a big fan of rushing a young defenseman into regular NHL duty, and it wouldn't *hurt* Staal if he didn't move immediately to the NHL.

But it is also true IMO that he doesn't have a whole lot left to do or be challenged by in the OHL. Basically, he'd be a good candidate for my special 1-player-per-team-underage-AHL-exemption rule proposal as a baseline.
I'm curiouse... and I'm not trying to call you out or anything... but do you get a chance to see Staal much live? I'm just wondering how you and Toth could see the games so differently... he was basically saying Staal was massively overrated. I guess we all have different perspectives on what we see though.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
oil slick said:
I'm curiouse... and I'm not trying to call you out or anything... but do you get a chance to see Staal much live? I'm just wondering how you and Toth could see the games so differently... he was basically saying Staal was massively overrated. I guess we all have different perspectives on what we see though.
IMO Staal's high end game is overrated, he's just not the next Brian Leetch or Brad Park. That being said he should turn out to be a very valued defenseman for the Rangers for a long time. More in the line of a player that does everything very good but nothing great like a Ron Grechner (?spelling?) or Bruce Driver. Ask Rangers and Devils fans about the value of those players and they'll gush but for the most part Grechner and Driver were overlooked around the league.

Staal has had a very good year but there is no need to rush him at this point. Maybe he could see some time in Hartford but I think that throwing a young defenseman into the playoffs, and lets face it people are expecting alot out of the Rangers, isn't a good thing to do for his developemant.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
oil slick said:
I've not seen him play apart from TV, but Mike Toth was on the Fan recently talking about the OHL. I guess he gets to see alot of games, and he was saying he thought Staal has some seriouse issues to work on in his game. Toth was thinking he was alone in thinking this, but then he started talking to scouts who by and large agreed with him.

So I'm sure if Toth voiced his opinion, he'd give a big No to the NHL for Staal this year... but I'm sure you'd find other opinions.
did he mention these serious issues or did he just say "Staal has serious issues"?

IMO Staal's high end game is overrated, he's just not the next Brian Leetch or Brad Park.
yeah, but who says he is?

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
well tsn is reporting he could be in the lineup as soon as the philly game saturday, i guess hes ready or they are gonna see how ready he is, it wouldnt be smart tho to use him in the playoffs but who knows

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
oil slick said:
"Live"-live? Never. On TV, 3 times this year in the OHL (+ WJC extra), maybe 5 or 6 OHL games last year. I think the big thing with Staal is that you can't watch the games and absolutely expect him to dominate or wow you with flashiness. He doesn't really do that (often). There are plenty of other OHL defensemen who seem flashier.

I was definitely not a Staal fan heading into the draft last year. He always underwhelmed me, seemed a bit soft or uninvolved, and I really wanted to see some flashiness from him to compensate for that.

Whereas this year, I thought he controlled the games I saw a lot more. Not in an overstated way, although that said, he still showed more tendency to take charge on offense and make some nice rushes too. Of course, I'm mostly influenced now by what we all saw in the WJCs, where he was just rock steady and totally poised and controlled on D. I think that example against higher competition really shows Staal's potential niche as a pro coming out too. As long as you don't expect him to do all the big flashy things on offense or throw big hits, then he looks like a guy who will really grow into a role as one of those quiet, subtle, poised quality defensemen.

I don't know if I'm much of a fan of that style still, since I like to have my attention grabbed with flashy stuff too, but I have to say, going from my negative opinion of Staal before the draft, to what I see now, it's a huge change in one year. And from the WJC, I get the impression that Staal is going to be ready to take another huge step as a pro next year too. As an NHLer... well, still not my ideal path for him... but I won't be surprised if he can handle that surprisingly well too. But in an understated way. Like a Paul Ranger on the Bolts. Don't push him too hard and don't give him too much responsibility all at once, which I think the Rangers are at least better positioned to do now than they were in the past, and he might do a good job adapting and growing into it.

But that's just my impressions, and basing it on a handful of TV games isn't really much that anybody should take very seriously, I agree. If Toth sees them more, he should have a better idea. Unless he's just looking for glossy flashy 1st-round pick domination stories, which I have no idea if he might do as a big time journalist or not. Either way, every young defenseman has issues to work on, that's for sure, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that from anybody. Concentration and consistency are still areas for improvement for Staal, IMO. But I don't think there's much point to looking for improvement in his physical play or offensive game, because as much room as he has to improve there, it's probably just not his game.

I guess it depends on what the expectation level is. I didn't like Staal last year, so I'm surprised and impressed by him this year. If you're taking a more star-hunting perspective of looking for a guaranteed surefire #1 all-star stud defenseman, well... yeah, anybody who thinks that's what he's supposed to be is going to come away and think he's "overrated". :dunno:

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
-31- said:
did he mention these serious issues or did he just say "Staal has serious issues"?
Toth is the co-host, and he was talking about good OHL games he'd seen recently including alot of playoff games. They got to talking about how the Wolves got manhandled in the playoffs - and he said he was unimpressed with Staal through the year. I can't remember him singling out any areas of his game though.

Bear in mind, Toth lives in Toronto, so I'm sure he doesn't get up to Sudbury that often (although he did make it up for the playoffs), but be is an OHL fanatic and sees most Majors games.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
oil slick said:
Toth is the co-host, and he was talking about good OHL games he'd seen recently including alot of playoff games. They got to talking about how the Wolves got manhandled in the playoffs - and he said he was unimpressed with Staal through the year. I can't remember him singling out any areas of his game though.

Bear in mind, Toth lives in Toronto, so I'm sure he doesn't get up to Sudbury that often (although he did make it up for the playoffs), but be is an OHL fanatic and sees most Majors games.

Toth (whoever he is?) is unimpressed with him and Sportnets rates Staal the best OHL defenseman of the year.....nice mixed reviews.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Blind Gardien said:
I guess it depends on what the expectation level is. I didn't like Staal last year, so I'm surprised and impressed by him this year. If you're taking a more star-hunting perspective of looking for a guaranteed surefire #1 all-star stud defenseman, well... yeah, anybody who thinks that's what he's supposed to be is going to come away and think he's "overrated". :dunno:

It is indeed all relative. Although I would expect any 19 year old who is not a surefire #1 to have to work on his game in the AHL a bit before making the jump to the NHL. Especially when you aren't dominating in junior.

Maybe that's more what Toth was saying... that people have expectations based on Eric, and that they are different callibre players.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
FLYLine88 said:
Toth (whoever he is?) is unimpressed with him and Sportnets rates Staal the best OHL defenseman of the year.....nice mixed reviews.

Mike Toth is good. He definately knows his junior hockey.

He is also entitled to his opinion independent of Sportsnet. He wasn't trying to say his view was difinitive... he's actually a pretty humble guy.

Jumbo*

Mike Toth? The same Mike Toth that said last year that Dion Phaneuf would be overwhelmed in the NHL and would need at least 1-2 years in the AHL? I wouldn't take that guy too serious.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
SenFan34567 said:
Mike Toth? The same Mike Toth that said last year that Dion Phaneuf would be overwhelmed in the NHL and would need at least 1-2 years in the AHL? I wouldn't take that guy too serious.

Exactly.

Except, funny thing is I actually agreed with him at the time and I'm eating my crow now! :)

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
SenFan34567 said:

lol - ok hadn't heard that one. I'll downgrade the stock I put in him I guess.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
#66 said:
IMO Staal's high end game is overrated, he's just not the next Brian Leetch or Brad Park. That being said he should turn out to be a very valued defenseman for the Rangers for a long time. More in the line of a player that does everything very good but nothing great like a Ron Grechner (?spelling?) or Bruce Driver. Ask Rangers and Devils fans about the value of those players and they'll gush but for the most part Grechner and Driver were overlooked around the league. .

no one EVER said Staal was going to be another Leetch or Park.

what the christ.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Levitate said:

what the christ.

Come on Levitate - everyone knows that every highly thought of 19 year old prospect is projected to be a first ballot hall of famer that wins the Conn Smythe and will get his number retired! :sarcasm:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Levitate said:

what the christ.
I live in NJ and I know plenty of Rangers fans that have said "Well if he's this good already..." I wouldn't say that they've been watching him or know their hockey but their expectations are high.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
#66 said:
I live in NJ and I know plenty of Rangers fans that have said "Well if he's this good already..." I wouldn't say that they've been watching him or know their hockey but their expectations are high.

No one has said that he'd be as good as Leetch and the like.

You're generalizing a bunch of fans for something possibly ONE person said.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Staal could presumably have played both his brothers in playoff series this post season.

I wonder if that has ever been done before.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
oil slick said:
It is indeed all relative. Although I would expect any 19 year old who is not a surefire #1 to have to work on his game in the AHL a bit before making the jump to the NHL. Especially when you aren't dominating in junior.

Staal has to play for the Rangers or the Wolves next year. He can't play for Hartford. I think this will be a good experience for him. He's very sound positionally and he's got a long reach with his stick. He covers a lot of ice. He may not be as strong as he'll need to be or should be, but how many 19year old defencemen are? He'll make some mistakes, but he shouldn't embarass himself. He'll then be much better prepared to make the Rangers out of camp next year.

Marc Staal is also one of the few defencemen that CAN dominate a game in junior. Look at the WJC for a high-exposure example.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
TheFinalWord said:
Staal has to play for the Rangers or the Wolves next year. He can't play for Hartford. I think this will be a good experience for him. He's very sound positionally and he's got a long reach with his stick. He covers a lot of ice. He may not be as strong as he'll need to be or should be, but how many 19year old defencemen are? He'll make some mistakes, but he shouldn't embarass himself. He'll then be much better prepared to make the Rangers out of camp next year.

Marc Staal is also one of the few defencemen that CAN dominate a game in junior. Look at the WJC for a high-exposure example.

He's too young for Hartford I guess?

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
oil slick said:
He's too young for Hartford I guess?

Correct. Although it's probably the best place for his development, he can't play in Hartford next year. I would guess he ends up back in Sudbury at some point, but you never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->