Confirmed with Link: Marc Methot to Dallas for 2020 2nd and G - Dylan Ferguson (UPDATE: Signed 3y ELC Contract)

NY2LV

Apr 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Looks like McPhee made a big mistake taking all of these defenseman, He should of taken more goalies too balance out the supply and demand so other GM's would be more willing to try and get some of these guys.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yeah, but I don't know that it's a huge issue. He's still got some time to make chicken salad.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Reading through the thread I just wanted to chime in with an alternate perspective on the deal and encourage the Knights fanbase to take another look at the deal, what a 2nd can provide and what Dylan Ferguson could be and how getting those assets for Marc Methot...seems like a pretty good haul.

I'm not sure when Marc Methot ever became the celebrated asset he did prior to the deal. I don't know if being an Ottawa native playing for the Senators increased his "narrative". But when a 32 year old defenceman, who averaged 11-12 points over five seasons (with the exception of one explosive increase to 23 points in '13-'14) is lamented as a lost opportunity to fleece the team that exposed him or ANY team willing to pay ANY 2nd in ANY year, then it becomes an all too familiar experience as a Leafs fan when one player's liable reputation exceeds his material worth.

Dylan Ferguson is about to become one of your franchise's top prospects and Stars' fans will begin to ask why it wasn't Henri Kivaho or Brent Moran that was made available for Marc Methot. In 2020 when your club rounds a developmental corner, Stars' fanbase (albeit perhaps with a Cup in hand) will still wonder how the Knights managed to get a second round pick out of the deal and the Knights fanbase will likely be happily anticipating a number of picks making it through from that year's draft just as those from the preceding three drafts will have developed nicely.

Insignificant as picks like Ferguson might seem, consider an unknown Jiri Patera who was ranked 4th amongst European goalies this past draft was also selected late. That's no mean selection, it's merely part of an established protocol that evaluates risk according to the position as I'm sure most of you know.

But Ferguson was fantastic last season. By all means, comfort yourselves in the Prospects section and read the comments about him there. By New Year, a lot of people in a redraft scenario are going to scratch their heads as to how Ferguson dropped and chalk it up to reasonable assessment given the unpredictable nature of goaltender development.

The future's very bright for the Vegas Golden Knights. Congratulations on the haul and good luck going forward.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
...The future's very bright for the Vegas Golden Knights. Congratulations on the haul and good luck going forward.

I agree.

While the initial reaction to losing a name like Methot was negative, after a few days, weeks, and months, I think we've all turned the corner on that deal. Ferguson with the shutout in El Segundo should definitely help seal the positivity on that deal. The glut of D we have and what's about to happen with that situation should cement it.

We got a decent haul, removed a Dman from the D situation, and it was all pretty much free. I feel the same way about the guys GMGM is going to have to lose here in the next few weeks as well. We got a look at some guys, we'll keep the best ones, and we're good to go. If we get a few picks dealing them, it's just icing on the cake. If we lose a few, who cares? We didn't have room anyway. Plus, I'd much rather have prospects our scouts have liked versus just picking some other team's random prospect and crossing fingers that they're a player.

We were going to lose around seven guys from the expansion draft however it went, it's all about taking advantage of the opportunity and cashing in with picks when you can.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
You can't grade the trade on who was selected imo.

Ferguson was a 6th rounder at the time + a 2nd.

Having watched about 70 games a year since Methot moved to Ottawa, he is the guy that does everything for the team. One of the most underrated guys in the NHL.

Never makes mistakes, brings leadership in oodles, and is a player you win with. He had a very underrated breakout pass, and was a great transition player believe it or not. The age, yes was a problem.

But I think he should've returned more like two 2nds or a pick + good prospect. Maybe even a mid / late first if he was moved and retained at the TDL. People who don't watch Ottawa have no idea how good he is.

While Karlsson was improving his defensive game to become a top 3 player in the league, it was Methot covering for him and allowing him to play the rover role so well.

I think Methot would've provided Theodore invaluable experience and knowledge, even with just 3/4ths of a season.

He would've been the best defenseman on the team, and captain material so the young guys could lean on him.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
You can't grade the trade on who was selected imo.

Ferguson was a 6th rounder at the time + a 2nd.

Having watched about 70 games a year since Methot moved to Ottawa, he is the guy that does everything for the team. One of the most underrated guys in the NHL.

Never makes mistakes, brings leadership in oodles, and is a player you win with. He had a very underrated breakout pass, and was a great transition player believe it or not. The age, yes was a problem.

But I think he should've returned more like two 2nds or a pick + good prospect. Maybe even a mid / late first if he was moved and retained at the TDL. People who don't watch Ottawa have no idea how good he is.

While Karlsson was improving his defensive game to become a top 3 player in the league, it was Methot covering for him and allowing him to play the rover role so well.

I think Methot would've provided Theodore invaluable experience and knowledge, even with just 3/4ths of a season.

He would've been the best defenseman on the team, and captain material so the young guys could lean on him.

GMs in this league will be all over your nuts if you have a player they covet. They'll overlook slights, and disregard fan fallout when it's for a guy they really want. It's a market that is set by a collection of teams that matters, not the fans.

If the teams in the league agreed with you, GMGM would have had a few good competing offers. Didn't happen. Probably due to age and the league trending younger now in a hurry, but either way you cannot manufacture a market.

Dallas made out. Whatevs. Hopefully in five years people will be talking about how that little-known goalie in the trade ended up being a nice pickup for us as well.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Take it from the Ducks. It's always good to stock your cupboard with goalie talent.

Though that cupboard is pretty empty now.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Take it from the Ducks. It's always good to stock your cupboard with goalie talent.

Though that cupboard is pretty empty now.

Without a doubt - I love what GMGM is doing here. For a team that is starting from scratch, we now have:

Pickard (25; NHL backup)
Dansk (23; presumed AHL starter)
Lagace (24; presumed AHL backup)
Ferguson (19; starting in WHL)
Patera / Zhukov (both 18; starting in USHL)

Plus, I noticed that Logan Thompson is back with the Brandon Wheat Kings, so maybe we can sign him as a UFA after this season. Next year, we could see something like this:

NHL
Fleury / Pickard

AHL
Dansk / Free Agent (not sure if Lagace is long-term)

ECHL
Thompson / ????

Ferguson just turned 19, so I'd give him another year in the WHL for sure. Zhukov and Patera have the option of going to the NCAA if they choose, which would actually be great for the setup of this team.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Probably not going to have second goalie in ECHL. Really only need guy for recall when someone higher in depth chart is displaced (traded, suspended, injured, family leave). And ECHL team needs someone they trust in net while other guy recalled (and local emergency backup fills in).

Reactions: Sir Goose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->