Confirmed with Link: Marc Methot to Dallas for 2020 2nd and G - Dylan Ferguson (UPDATE: Signed 3y ELC Contract)

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
No Idea why Ottawa didn't match this return. Maybe he wasn't offered to Ottawa?

Definitely don't know why McPhee allegedly asked for such a large package from Ottawa to protect him and then traded him for such a garbage return.

Weird situation. Methot did not seem happy to have been picked, and I don't think McPhee realized how much Methot's NTC would impact his return.

I don't think vegas should have kept him if he was indeed, unhappy with being drafted.

Could be more at play here.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

What if Methot gets injured or has an awful year? Because if that happened, you know people would have been upset and said, "Why didn't McPhee trade him before the season started when he had the chance?"

I'm guessing you'd get a goalie prospect and a 2020 3rd. :)

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
That's fine - you have to stagger the development and accumulate prospects. We've got three 18-year-old goalie prospects now: Zhukov will be going to NCAA, Patera will stay in Europe, and Ferguson will be in the CHL. They'll all likely be on different development curves/timelines, so I've got no problem with getting as many goalie prospects as possible so that you increase your chances of one of them panning out.

Don't know if this was mentioned in another thread, but we've now got 13 players who were selected in the 2017 Entry Draft. By the looks of it:

- SIX will be playing in the CHL (four centers, one defenseman, one goalie)
- FOUR will be playing in Europe (two wingers, one defenseman, one goalie)
- THREE will be playing in NCAA (one center, one winger, one goalie)

What can I say? I like the balance. :)

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I think teams are trying to not trade 2018/2019 picks. They are deep drafts.

Plus, it's probably not the best idea to have too many picks in the same draft, so that the contracts don't all come up at the same time. As of now, we've got 11 picks in 2019 and 9 picks in 2020, but only 5 picks in 2018. My hope is that McPhee goes for 2018 picks at the trade deadline, when teams have a better idea of where they might end up.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Puzzling... just puzzling why you pull the trigger with that return.

I would be very disappointed if this was the reason. Mcphee should've passed on Sbisa and Emelin for cap to pursue Dadonov/Radulov or possibly get in on Panarin.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Any confidence I had in GMGM after the entry draft has evaporated. That's a garbage return.

The only good explanation I have is that he has an "in principle" agreement with an incoming UFA and he needs cap space NOW.

I never had much confidence in the 6 year cup win game plan but I don't even see how it's possible at this rate.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
The only thing I can come up with is that Dallas was the only team that wasn't on Methot's 10 team No-trade list and that also didn't want to send salary/cap hits back to Vegas. Taking on $4.9m in cap right before free agency begins isn't something many teams want to do.

But if that was the case, just keep him until the deadline and trade him then.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't expect confidence in GMGM's game plan is gonna be a strong draw for attracting UFAs. Honestly, at best we can hope that our tax rates will be attractive enough.

I mean we just traded a solid top 4 defenseman for a 7th round goalie (how often do those pan out? Our own amateur scouts chose to pass on this kid a large number of times)

And a draft pick in the second round of a draft three years from now.

Even for building our future this looks like ****. Players and agents pay attention to this kind of stuff. Between this, the Schlemko deal, and let's be frank; the Erat for Forsberg fiasco...McPhee isn't really showing he's any good at managing his assets. He did good work stacking himself up for the draft but this feels like pissing Methot into the wind

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Big-time WHL watcher here.

Ferguson could very well be one of the best goalies in the WHL next season. Don't count him out because he's a 7th round pick. He's a stud. Between trading for him and inviting Bajkov and Outhouse to camp I am very jealous of you guys.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
The only thing I can come up with is that Dallas was the only team that wasn't on Methot's 10 team No-trade list and that also didn't want to send salary/cap hits back to Vegas. Taking on $4.9m in cap right before free agency begins isn't something many teams want to do.

But if that was the case, just keep him until the deadline and trade him then.

Suspect you're onto something there. That plus maybe as mentioned above he's got a deal worked out or near that point, where he wanted that space now. Maybe some of the teams that might have been interested are still irked at him too, who knows.

Granted, I didn't expect a round 1 pick for Methot, but I did figure we'd get another good prospect or a somewhat lesser one plus a pick. Even if he really liked that goalie Dallas took, the return is a little lower than I expected.

Fare thee well Mr. Methot, we hardly knew ye.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
McPhee is an idiot.
I would have fired him already.
Bubolz and Craven are sleeping, should be their job to watch.

Man you guys with the pitchforks already!? We just started rookie camp and we got a lynch mob goin already due to one trade?

Ain't it grand to have a team??? :yo:

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
There is no justification for making this trade with such little return, unless the intention was just to get rid of him because he makes the current team better and inhibits their ability to tank. Terrible.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
If there's one thing we caps fans learned early on it's that McPhee is absolutely allergic to good defensemen who aren't Phil Housley knockoffs like Mike Green. It cost us our best chance at a cup early on. So this is pretty par for the course.

Hopefully he gets fired soon (selfishly from the caps perspective for going out of his way to screw us over but also because Vegas should have a good well rounded GM who isn't a stupid ass****)

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
So it turns out that McPhee wasn't interested in maximizing trade value.

I would really like to know the whole story behind this!!!

They must have had some private information to trade our arguably best player away for absolutely nothing :amazed:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Big-time WHL watcher here.

Ferguson could very well be one of the best goalies in the WHL next season. Don't count him out because he's a 7th round pick. He's a stud. Between trading for him and inviting Bajkov and Outhouse to camp I am very jealous of you guys.

Good point. The 2017 draft was a weird one so maybe a guy like Ferguson has a chance to contribute to his new organization when the time comes.

The return for Methot does seem a little low but without knowing the backstory I'm willing to cut McPhee some slack here. I'm a little curious why he's stacking up the 2020 picks (Maybe he thinks they'll be fighting for a playoff spot by then and can flip those picks for some reinforcements heading into the first round) and not 2018.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
So it turns out that McPhee wasn't interested in maximizing trade value.

Dis is what happens when you don't pay up for player protection.

paulie-walnuts-300x258.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad