Marc Bergevin -'The answer is in that room'- Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void
Our media is filled with spineless cowards who cosy up with management/coaches when it's convenient then throw them under the bus to further their careers.

Our Owner is a typical rich guy who doesn't understand the idea of differing gratification (playoff $$$) in order to save for long term success (short term thinker)

Our GM is a well dressed hapless egomaniac who has ironically created his own brand image around the Canadiens while shipping out any players who did the same... A man who mimics his owner in having absolutely no ability to think long term and demands immediate gratification & micromanages the living poop out of his coaches (Galchenyuk not a C through TWO different coaches, Drouin at C, keeping Mete, not allowing Clod to hire ONE assistant... I implore you to cite ONE other non-interim coach that didn't hire at least ONE assistant coach...)

This organization has become a beast of burden. I'm unable to find any joy in watching it play, I find the players cold and the games meaningless and just can't get over how the media, with the help of management treated PK after he were dealt. Classless bigoted bums.

Hell, even my father who has been a die hard since the 70s has effectively stopped cheering/watching the team...

All that to say I admire those of you who still watch the games, make informed commentary and provide great criticism of these said problems. I've lost the will to continue as I don't see anything changing with Geoff on board but I hope you guys keep it up and hopefully get through to the baseline fan.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Runner 77 has done an excellent job over the years keeping us all in the loop regarding the links between the Habs the Media and last but not least the lowly brain-dead fan. He doesn't get enough credit for spending what must be literally hours ensuring nothing reportable gets by these boards I for one can't be bothered to tune into anything anymore..
The country club extends to the media the scrums and pressers are totally scripted and the times a non scripted question gets fired the disdain on the face of the representative is evident.
One thing everyone should praise Gainey for when his mind was healthy is not only did he stand up for his players he did so while putting the media in it's place. That alone makes him a far better GM than any of these posers in recent memory. The slings and arrows started after his daughter's death and the reality is Bob was in a win now mode and went for it. I've never berated him for the moves he made he actually put together a fairly stout club until Robert Lang went down and we were never able to fill that void upto and including today.
One thing about it it was ten times more entertaining than anything Bergevin has done for this City.
This too gets debated and what a farce I guess some folks prefer to have a GM who throws players under the bus and has consistently created an atmosphere of devaluation around this team's assets.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Runner 77 has done an excellent job over the years keeping us all in the loop regarding the links between the Habs the Media and last but not least the lowly brain-dead fan. He doesn't get enough credit for spending what must be literally hours ensuring nothing reportable gets by these boards I for one can't be bothered to tune into anything anymore..
The country club extends to the media the scrums and pressers are totally scripted and the times a non scripted question gets fired the disdain on the face of the representative is evident.
One thing everyone should praise Gainey for when his mind was healthy is not only did he stand up for his players he did so while putting the media in it's place. That alone makes him a far better GM than any of these posers in recent memory. The slings and arrows started after his daughter's death and the reality is Bob was in a win now mode and went for it. I've never berated him for the moves he made he actually put together a fairly stout club until Robert Lang went down and we were never able to fill that void upto and including today.
One thing about it it was ten times more entertaining than anything Bergevin has done for this City.
This too gets debated and what a farce I guess some folks prefer to have a GM who throws players under the bus and has consistently created an atmosphere of devaluation around this team's assets.
The guy that traded Mcd for Gomez is a better gm alone just for protecting his players from the media? The bias and hatred on this board has reached new peaks

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The guy that traded Mcd for Gomez is a better gm alone just for protecting his players from the media? The bias and hatred on this board has reached new peaks

Yes. Gainey made a few bad trades that he deserves full criticism for (Ribeiro for Niinimma) and his Samsonov signing is an Alzner level blunder but that doesn't change the fact he handled the players and media with respect and integrity.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Yes. Gainey made a few bad trades that he deserves full criticism for (Ribeiro for Niinimma) and his Samsonov signing is an Alzner level blunder but that doesn't change the fact he handled the players and media with respect and integrity.

Exactly.

During Gainey’s tenure / Gillett’s ownership the organization was a model of integrity and class.

Now we’re a joke to the rest of the league, basically the new Maple Laughs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

The McD for Gomez deal was a win now move and Gainey thought Gomez would be a core piece in an attempt to win during our 100th celebration. We all know the trade sucked in hindsight but considering we moved a player who hadn't suited up at this level yet For a Stanley Cup winner and up to that point a proven playmaker. Keep tabs on Sergachev/Drouin because there are some parallels.
The premise of my post was founded on respect and you immediately moved to debate trade specifics because there is really no arguement you can possibly make against the main gist of what I posted. There is absolutely no bias just plain ole reality.
One man commanded and gave respect. The other man spends time spewing crap about a dog's loyalty while completely messing up critical negotiations.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I hate MB with a passion but I don't think he ever said that. At least I hope not for his sake. He would look so stupid
I'd have to dig up the quote but I also seem to recall him saying something along the lines of 'he'll help us win' or something to that effect. Maybe it was Molson.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Really no media tarnish? They said PK only did the hospital thing to be captain, I’m not even going to go there with Vanisheretty as Captain, funny he’s gone to Nashville and got the hospital involved there too, getting the kids to write to eat other. They said Markov hated PK, hated him so much he invited him to his wedding. Bergevin said trading PK was a win now thing and Weber would help them to the Cup, Nashville went to the finals and Habs went out in the 1st round again. Bergevin tried everything to tarnish PK to justify his trade when in reality most people have only good to say about PK, yes he’s a little Tigger-ish and I imagine he needs an on/off switch sometimes but he always comes across as eloquent, grateful and humble
Management never accused Subban of anything you mention. You've made that up, or you've confused your info. You've even exaggerated what the media reported, which they got from their own sources, none of which were Bergevin.

So then, the question: Did the media willfully lie, or did they just report? Did journalists fabricate stories, risking their careers to get back at a player? Why would they do this? What motive would they, or anyone, have? And it still doesn't address the nagging question: Why didn't the same rumours surface when other stars were traded, including Shea Weber? Where's their tarnish?

Once again, I'll be clear about this: I love Subban and wish we'd had better people in charge to smooth over the internal issues in the locker room, but I have no doubt there were internal issues.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
One of the best posts ever written on this board.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What's the winning percentage at now, that the Habs have to maintain in order to make the playoffs?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't see how Molson can justify keeping MB at this point. The team has looked awful for the 3rd time in three years and it's directly related to the personnel changes. If he's not gone after Christmas, this team is in even worse hands then I thought.
I think Molson fires Bergevin if we stay in the bottom 10.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
QVBgA0U.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad