Marc-Andre Fleury

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
guy that was considered a weak link for years

pens fans always went into every series thinking "i hope fleury doesn't lose it for us"

with murray in net i am so much more relaxed watching, and you know what so are his teammates

sound like a hall of famer to you?

he is proof being likable is sometimes more important than being competent, the excuses are ridiculous

if fleury worked a 9 - 5 job he would show up late and be incompetent, but would get away with it because everybody likes him

I'm going to tell you right now, take Murray back in time to those days, Murray doesn't save the day. You are totally incapable to understand the surroundings and what brought about those attributes. The weak link was the team in itself. Just because they had generational talent doesn't mean the team was generational. They had real issues, and the mental side of things for the team started when teams started to cheapshot and hit them as the go to strategy to throw them off their game, getting them to think of anything except playing hockey.

Now add in not having wingers to support, a defense, how about a coach
dan-bylsma-nhl-pittsburgh-penguins-carolina-hurricanes.jpg

who could control the lineup and get them to focus on just playing the game.

There were plenty of weak links to go around. Funny how you don't talk about them. Back to back cups don't take away history, but you sure do have selective history.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
I'm going to tell you right now, take Murray back in time to those days, Murray doesn't save the day. You are totally incapable to understand the surroundings and what brought about those attributes. The weak link was the team in itself. Just because they had generational talent doesn't mean the team was generational. They had real issues, and the mental side of things for the team started when teams started to cheapshot and hit them as the go to strategy to throw them off their game, getting them to think of anything except playing hockey.

Now add in not having wingers to support, a defense, how about a coach
dan-bylsma-nhl-pittsburgh-penguins-carolina-hurricanes.jpg

who could control the lineup and get them to focus on just playing the game.

There were plenty of weak links to go around. Funny how you don't talk about them. Back to back cups don't take away history, but you sure do have selective history.

bylsma sucks but you know what, he was just as much a part of that 09 cup team as fleury that you guys love to give him credit for, the team became great when he came on yet you all conveniently forget that and instead give fleury the credit

pens were cup favorites in 2010, 2012, and 2013

they beat the flyers in the first round with murray in 2012, they beat montreal too in 2010, scoring goals wasn't the problem it was letting in soft goals

fleury let them down, would've been out in the first round in 2013 if they left him in

fleury stunk i can't believe how so many yinzers get upset by that, i wonder if he cares as much about you

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Luongo is probably a good comparable. I had to look up if he had any individual hardware and the answer is no. From Wiki:

He has additionally been a finalist for the Vezina Trophy as the league's best goaltender (2004, 2007 and 2011), the Lester B. Pearson Award as the top player voted by his peers (2004 and 2007) and the Hart Memorial Trophy as the league's most valuable player (2007).[2][3]

So I don't think Luongo gets in either. But if he does, perhaps the voters take into consideration he was a multiple finalist for the Vezina and Hart? I personally wouldn't put Luongo in the Hall

Luongo will get into the HHOF...Guaranteed!

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
bylsma sucks but you know what, he was just as much a part of that 09 cup team as fleury that you guys love to give him credit for, the team became great when he came on yet you all conveniently forget that and instead give fleury the credit

pens were cup favorites in 2010, 2012, and 2013

they beat the flyers in the first round with murray in 2012, they beat montreal too in 2010, scoring goals wasn't the problem it was letting in soft goals

fleury let them down, would've been out in the first round in 2013 if they left him in

fleury stunk i can't believe how so many yinzers get upset by that, i wonder if he cares as much about you

Like I said, Selective.

Sorry man, they lost to Montreal in 2010, and it was not scoring goals and defense as the culprit. Remember Hal Gill getting in the Pens grill?

What's 2013 matter when they were out? They were out in insulting fashion for reasons well beyond the goalkeeper(s). Bet you forget about Dupuis talking about the team trying to get out from under the mental issues they all were having. I guess they couldn't when they met up with a good team again that tested them again.

Just maybe Fleury was "Monkey See Monkey Do."

There's no middle ground, and I'm not upset about Fleury being Fleury, not one person/player is perfect, that's what makes them human.

Go find some others who share your thoughts. Your stance is what stinks around here, but in person you are probably a nice guy/gal, too.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
Like I said, Selective.

Sorry man, they lost to Montreal in 2010, and it was not scoring goals and defense as the culprit. Remember Hal Gill getting in the Pens grill?

What's 2013 matter when they were out? They were out in insulting fashion for reasons well beyond the goalkeeper(s). Bet you forget about Dupuis talking about the team trying to get out from under the mental issues they all were having. I guess they couldn't when they met up with a good team again that tested them again.

Just maybe Fleury was "Monkey See Monkey Do."

There's no middle ground, and I'm not upset about Fleury being Fleury, not one person/player is perfect, that's what makes them human.

Go find some others who share your thoughts. Your stance is what stinks around here, but in person you are probably a nice guy/gal, too.

fleury gave them no shot in game 7 against montreal, you want to think hal gill made that much if a difference and i'm "selective' LMAO

boston in 2013 doesn't happen if they kept fleury in, but again you being "selective" bringing up some random quote from dupuis

fleury monkey see monkey do? yeah that's for sure, nobody has ever described him as having ice in his veins like murray

most around the country share my thoughts it's the yinzers that don't, my stance only stinks because you personally like mr. nice guy, you can't separate your personal bias from the results

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
most around the country share my thoughts it's the yinzers that don't, my stance only stinks because you personally like mr. nice guy, you can't separate your personal bias from the results

Actually, I think most would believe he's neither the greatest goalie like one extreme of the fanbase claims, nor the worst goalie to ever put on skates, like the other extreme side.

MAF didn't do the teams many favors in some of those series/games, but the Pens weren't winning with Hasek in net. The team was very flawed that and made it to the playoffs mainly on the individual talent of some of the best players in the league. Believe it or not, Fleury isn't the sole reason that the team isn't going for their 9th consecutive Cup.

MAF (health permitting) is going to continue to improve as he ages. I really see him finishing his career strong. It's often forgot how much the Pens set him up for failure early on...it's a mini-miracle he didn't just flame out like most high goalie draft picks of that era.

The vocal minority that bash him in Pittsburgh are laughable. I get it, you are sick of hearing about him. Stop clicking on threads about him or listening to sports talk radio. Most of you are too young (or hadn't jumped on the bandwagon yet) to remember that before Crosby, Malkin, Staal, etc..Fleury was the first light at the end of a very dark tunnel. He was here for 15 years, if you do not understand why people have an attachment to him, then I don't know what to tell you.

allevat

Jan 11, 2018
I always thought that 2013 was the epitome of that era of the Penguins. Fleury gets pulled, according to a certain segment of the fanbase all should have been sunshine and roses... and then the Pens score exactly two f***ing goals in an entire ECF. Or you get the thing where 2014 and 2015 get included, when he was good in 2014 and downright excellent in 2015. That year, they got knocked out by four 2-1 games, and in the last two Fleury only gave up one in regulation. If your goalie is at .927 and only giving up 1 and 2 goals, ain't the goalie's fault you lose.

Fleury had his issues, but the idea that he denied the Penguins some giant stack of Cups is purest fantasy. They needed more scoring depth and a better coach above all.

Last edited:

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
Actually, I think most would believe he's neither the greatest goalie like one extreme of the fanbase claims, nor the worst goalie to ever put on skates, like the other extreme side.

MAF didn't do the teams many favors in some of those series/games, but the Pens weren't winning with Hasek in net. The team was very flawed that and made it to the playoffs mainly on the individual talent of some of the best players in the league. Believe it or not, Fleury isn't the sole reason that the team isn't going for their 9th consecutive Cup.

MAF (health permitting) is going to continue to improve as he ages. I really see him finishing his career strong. It's often forgot how much the Pens set him up for failure early on...it's a mini-miracle he didn't just flame out like most high goalie draft picks of that era.

The vocal minority that bash him in Pittsburgh are laughable. I get it, you are sick of hearing about him. Stop clicking on threads about him or listening to sports talk radio. Most of you are too young (or hadn't jumped on the bandwagon yet) to remember that before Crosby, Malkin, Staal, etc..Fleury was the first light at the end of a very dark tunnel. He was here for 15 years, if you do not understand why people have an attachment to him, then I don't know what to tell you.

all we needed was adequate goaltending to beat montreal, philly, and the islanders, we did not need hasek and i'm not saying they should've won the cups i'm saying they had no chance with goal play like that

people don't call him the worst playoff goalie they ever saw for nothing, yeah he has some stats every player has stats after 15 years in the league and wins are not what they used to be considering ties no longer exist, he was the reason opposing fans went into every series thinking they have a chance against a heavily favored pens team

mini miracle he didn't flame out? he was the number 1 overall pick so lets not pretend the odds were stacked against him he was given every chance in the world to reach his potential

i understand very well why people like him, it's you that doesn't understand why people don't like him

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
I always thought that 2013 was the epitome of that era of the Penguins. Fleury gets pulled, according to a certain segment of the fanbase all should have been sunshine and roses... and then the Pens score exactly two ****ing goals in an entire ECF. Or you get the thing where 2014 and 2015 get included, when he was good in 2014 and downright excellent in 2015. That year, they got knocked out by four 2-1 games, and in the last two Fleury only gave up one in regulation. If your goalie is at .927 and only giving up 1 and 2 goals, ain't the goalie's fault you lose.

Fleury had his issues, but the idea that he denied the Penguins some giant stack of Cups is purest fantasy. They needed more scoring depth and a better coach above all.

they don't get out of the first round to lose to boston if they stuck with fleury

nobody is arguing they would have far more cups we are arguing HE GAVE THEM NO CHANCE to have more cups

show me where i mentioned 2014 and 2015

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
all we needed was adequate goaltending to beat montreal, philly, and the islanders, we did not need hasek and i'm not saying they should've won the cups i'm saying they had no chance with goal play like that

people don't call him the worst playoff goalie they ever saw for nothing, yeah he has some stats every player has stats after 15 years in the league and wins are not what they used to be considering ties no longer exist, he was the reason opposing fans went into every series thinking they have a chance against a heavily favored pens team

mini miracle he didn't flame out? he was the number 1 overall pick so lets not pretend the odds were stacked against him he was given every chance in the world to reach his potential

i understand very well why people like him, it's you that doesn't understand why people don't like him

I'm not going to go back and forth arguing with you, because it's going to get both of us nowhere.

All I can tell you is that you do not like Marc-Andre Fleury, so you saw a post literally titled "Marc-Andre Fleury" and have taken the time to read and post in it. There are players/debates that pop on here daily that I am sick of. I do not click on threads about them. You should try that.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
I'm not going to go back and forth arguing with you, because it's going to get both of us nowhere.

All I can tell you is that you do not like Marc-Andre Fleury, so you saw a post literally titled "Marc-Andre Fleury" and have taken the time to read and post in it. There are players/debates that pop on here daily that I am sick of. I do not click on threads about them. You should try that.

LOL i don't dislike him to the point that seeing his name causes me uncontrollable rage

i just saw people saying stuff that was untrue about him, so i did the right thing by correcting them

nbonaddio

BELLOWS: THE BEST
Mar 28, 2007
LOL i don't dislike him to the point that seeing his name causes me uncontrollable rage

i just saw people saying stuff that was untrue about him, so i did the right thing by correcting them

If everyone thinks you're wrong, at what point do you start to realize that?

2.24/.927 in the playoffs since 2013. Obviously I know your argument is predicated on things that happened more than five years ago, but I mean, some people realize that "Futurama" isn't on the air anymore.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Ready to eat crow. Thought he was finished after the 2012 Flyers series and then getting benched for Vokoun in 2013 and for Murray in 2016. He played well for the Penguins last playoff, but he's in 2009 Game 7 mode right now.

Reactions: radapex

Bowski

Why did you wake me up from my nap?
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
MAF is good people.
Decent defense and a good coaching system = wins at most times.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
If everyone thinks you're wrong, at what point do you start to realize that?

2.24/.927 in the playoffs since 2013. Obviously I know your argument is predicated on things that happened more than five years ago, but I mean, some people realize that "Futurama" isn't on the air anymore.

it's not everybody it's just yinzer fanboys in pittsburgh, most of the hockey world agrees with me

he just played the best playoff series of his life, he does well when there's no pressure

nbonaddio

BELLOWS: THE BEST
Mar 28, 2007
it's not everybody it's just yinzer fanboys in pittsburgh, most of the hockey world agrees with me

he just played the best playoff series of his life, he does well when there's no pressure

So, most of the hockey except generally everyone on here who isn't you?

And yes, you're correct, there was very little pressure in Game 7 vs. Washington last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->