Marc-Andre Fleury

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Weak link? LOL. The Pens aren't even playing in the Conference Finals last year if it werent' for MAF. Way to focus on 1 game there bub. Matt Murray was the starting goalie and healthy then. I agreed with Sullivan putting him back in there. Doesn't take away at all from the impact Fleury had in the first two rounds. Not giving MAF huge props for him holding the fort down until Murray got healthy is pathetic.

Pens also played no defense against Philly. Took a slew of moronic penalties. Putting all the blame on MAF is wrong.

I didn't name call anywhere btw. Feel free to report me otherwise and I'm sure the mods will tell you the same thing. I'm not biased in any manner. I simply choose to respect the player for the good he did over the course of 13 years. MAF was a big reason why the Pens were able to win multiple Cups. Sure he had a big hand in some postseason flops but acting like he's the sole reason for the Pens failures between 2010 and 2013 is ridiculous. Personally I put a ton of blame on Ray Shero and Dan Bylsma. Because MAF was plenty good once those clowns were finally sent packing.

ok sure 2 rounds last year takes away all his failures LOL

there is no back to back cup with him in net, ottawa would've beaten them

you used the word "pathetic", clearly you care about him more than you should because he's such a swell guy

i hope the pens play vegas in the cup, no doubt he would buckle under the pressure against his former team

Reactions: Heliarclee

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
As a Knights fan, I'm just happy the Pens wanted to keep Murray over him. Regardless of his past play and the scant few implosions he's had here (he was hung out to dry in most of them), he has been a beast for us, and we likely wouldn't be in the playoffs without him.

Now if we could just get Oscar Dansk up to back him up....

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Jonathan Quick is playing great hockey and is 0-3. .945 sv % and hasn't won a game. Gotta feel for him a bit.

I feel bad for Quick, too. While all the Kings in front of him are running around like the Hanson brothers, he's trying to hold it together.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I feel bad for Quick, too. While all the Kings in front of him are running around like the Hanson brothers, he's trying to hold it together.

I'm stoked for Vegas and MAF especially. It's a great story all around, especially after the horrible shooting just before the season started. Who would have ever though the Knights would have done what they have this year. Kudos to McPhee and company for putting together a solid roster that seemingly was the right collection of players and coaches.

The Kings are just too defensive against a relentless group like LV. They have a good shot total through 3 games, no doubt, but I saw most of 2 of the games and it seems like a majority of their shots are coming from the permiter. And of course MAF has been unreal thus far. Super early but you have to put him right near the top of CS possibilities.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Fleury is pretty much my favorite player of all time. I was really sorry to see him go but the Pens made the right choice for the future by keeping Murray. I'll always continue to root for MAF as long as it's not against the Pens and it's great to see how well he's doing in Vegas. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
This. Like someone else said, while MAF had his downside, a lot of people made him the scapegoat.

Always like him. Still do.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I haven't read every post so if I'm repeating someone, then forgive me.

The issue with 09-15 was the difference in his play in the regular season and the playoffs. He would be BRILLIANT in the regular season, then a switch would turn on, and he would be good for 1-2 bad goals a game in the playoffs.

When I say bad goals, I'm talking about routine saves. We just needed someone to do routine saves, nothing magical.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
ok sure 2 rounds last year takes away all his failures LOL

there is no back to back cup with him in net, ottawa would've beaten them

you used the word "pathetic", clearly you care about him more than you should because he's such a swell guy

i hope the pens play vegas in the cup, no doubt he would buckle under the pressure against his former team

The team had a lot of issues, and Fleury was only a part of that, but people like you try to make him the entire reasons for the teams failures. When Murray came along, the team was already in God mode with Fleury at the helm until two weeks left when he got a concussion. It's hilarious that people associate the Pens success after Murray arrives when they were already a well tuned machine. A Machine spawn of healthy doses of trades, coaching change who brought an outside view of their most common issue for competing. "JUST PLAY" and not get involved in the mental part of the game teams were using on them. Plus a healthy addition of depth across the board.

I can 100% tell you your little temper tantrum has no bearing on the fact that this team is still sitting on 2 Stanley Cups without MAF.

Was Fleury perfect? No. There isn't one to be found anywhere. All have, at some point, gone through tough times.

Fleury is, and has been, an above average goaltender. Fleury's fingerprints are all over 4/5 deep runs. Without him they don't win a single one past the two they already owned. Only those with sour memories hold Fleury accountable for the teams misgivings, solely.

Why didn't they get past Boston? Right.... The team from top to bottom, coaching to goaltending, were a mental sideshow carnival.
Who had fingerprints all over that series? Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal, Kunitz and the list goes on.

Fleury has been far removed from those years while the rest (until Sullivan came aboard) were still showing their meltdowns.

Get a clue, but most of all, get over your own meltdowns.

MoeManthaMustache

Aug 21, 2007
I'm happy he's doing well now, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a big reason they lost in the past. Also, why did Vokoun do so well after replacing MAF when he was behind the same supposed "**** defense"?

what was that, a span of 7 or so games? 2 games agains the islanders, a few games against the listless sens, an a few games against the Bruins - in which he got pulled from one, and got swept while his team scored 2 total goals.

Those teams under Bylsma had were dumpster fires in all aspects. Guys playing in the wrong wing, Craig Adams, Brooks Orpik running his own goalie over and over again.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet that Fleury started to see a sports psychologist to work on his mental focus. It was clearly the primary issue with his game - once he got shaken, he was AWFUL. Going back to 2013, Fleury was talking about how he was working on that, and I think it's really started to pay dividends over time. Compare Fleury the past 2 years (especially last year, when he really carried the Pens at times in the playoffs) with him from 2010-2015 or so, and it's night and day. The guy deserves a ton of respect for the work he's done and the results he's seen with mental focus. He's always had all-world talent, but I'm really happy to see him become so much more grounded.

edit: Here's an article talking about what I mean: Unmasked: Fleury has improved tactically, mentally

"With more conservative positioning has come more consistency for Fleury, who has learned to better manage his passion to win through work with a sports psychologist.

Just as the Reverse helped Fleury get comfortable with his posts, working with a sports psychologist helped him find ways to manage the highs and lows of the position."

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
uh yeah i know that, what does that have to do with winning the cup with fleury on the bench

9 out of 15? that's a bit short of the 16 you need to win the cup

It's still over halfway there. It's nobody's fault that Murray proved himself to be an elite playoff starting goalie.

It's not like Fleury was benched over the past two playoff years for being hot garbage.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
how convenient and what a coincidence the team gets "good and deep enough" when murray becomes the goalie

Yeah I mean it's not like we added a legit #1 winger, one of the best 4Cs in the league and for the first time other than 2013 have winger depth coming out the ass... I mean look at our roster last year in the finals... we had Hagelin and Hornqvist on the 4th line. The only time we had that kind of depth was 2013 when Bylsma was our coach... and we all know how bad he was.

Yeah... it was 'just' the goalie. It wasn't as if MAF carried us in the Washington series or anything... :laugh:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yeah I mean it's not like we added a legit #1 winger, one of the best 4Cs in the league and for the first time other than 2013 have winger depth coming out the ass... I mean look at our roster last year in the finals... we had Hagelin and Hornqvist on the 4th line. The only time we had that kind of depth was 2013 when Bylsma was our coach... and we all know how bad he was.

Yeah... it was 'just' the goalie. It wasn't as if MAF carried us in the Washington series or anything... :laugh:

Wish there was a love button.

Jim. Rutherford.
Mike. Sullivan.
Phil. Kessel.
Patric. Hornqvist.
Carl. Hagelin.
Nick. Bonino
Matt. Cullen.

Want me to keep going? Actually, let's wait and see how long it takes Howsurbreath to figure out how many of the above names were on our team prior to the 2015-16 season.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Fleury was a bad fit for the Pens. He was good because of his athleticism but bad because of his composure and for our style (generally) we needed someone with that composure (eg Murray, Vokoun).

Yeah some of our playoff teams weren’t as good as we thought but it doesn’t help if your goalie puts up a .900 SV% or below 43% of the time (in the playoffs).

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
The team had a lot of issues, and Fleury was only a part of that, but people like you try to make him the entire reasons for the teams failures. When Murray came along, the team was already in God mode with Fleury at the helm until two weeks left when he got a concussion. It's hilarious that people associate the Pens success after Murray arrives when they were already a well tuned machine. A Machine spawn of healthy doses of trades, coaching change who brought an outside view of their most common issue for competing. "JUST PLAY" and not get involved in the mental part of the game teams were using on them. Plus a healthy addition of depth across the board.

I can 100% tell you your little temper tantrum has no bearing on the fact that this team is still sitting on 2 Stanley Cups without MAF.

Was Fleury perfect? No. There isn't one to be found anywhere. All have, at some point, gone through tough times.

Fleury is, and has been, an above average goaltender. Fleury's fingerprints are all over 4/5 deep runs. Without him they don't win a single one past the two they already owned. Only those with sour memories hold Fleury accountable for the teams misgivings, solely.

Why didn't they get past Boston? Right.... The team from top to bottom, coaching to goaltending, were a mental sideshow carnival.
Who had fingerprints all over that series? Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal, Kunitz and the list goes on.

Fleury has been far removed from those years while the rest (until Sullivan came aboard) were still showing their meltdowns.

Get a clue, but most of all, get over your own meltdowns.

you're accusing me of temper tantrums and meltdowns? LOL thanks for proving my point, you fleury fan boys just can't handle any criticism of him

even you describe him as "above average", gee the pens never could've won without a guy like that, above average is so hard to find...

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
It's still over halfway there. It's nobody's fault that Murray proved himself to be an elite playoff starting goalie.

It's not like Fleury was benched over the past two playoff years for being hot garbage.

well he was after game 5 against tampa in the ECF, i'm convinced sullivan went back the fleury due to all the fans and media members telling him he should

you fleury fan boys almost cost the pens a cup

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
well he was after game 5 against tampa in the ECF, i'm convinced sullivan went back the fleury due to all the fans and media members telling him he should

you fleury fan boys almost cost the pens a cup

Story checks out.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016

i don't remember too many people talking about depth issues or coaching going into the playoffs in 2010, 2012, and 2013, those excuses just came up when fleury shit the bed

you keep referencing the one exception last year where he was the best player, ottawa would've beaten them, his head was starting to play tricks on him again

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
good guy and has had a great season. He hasn't had to be great this playoff because most of the Kings chances have come from the outside with little traffic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad