Status
Not open for further replies.

sundaystar

Feb 13, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Morrison_Rulz said:
Who's better? What's their potential?

i don't know anything about stortini but as far as Bernier, i am not a fan of his. I attended all the eagles home games last year and he frustrated the hell out of me. THe guy has soft hands, good shot but is a pansy.

Last edited:

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Stortini's a 3rd/4th liner with good leadership abilities, can fight, and can control the boards/front of the net.

Think of a very poor-man's Joe Thornton (doesn't have anywhere near the hands, but plays a similar style).

He'll probably have a very long career and top out at 18-20 goals in a season.

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
dawgbone said:
Stortini's a 3rd/4th liner with good leadership abilities, can fight, and can control the boards/front of the net.

Think of a very poor-man's Joe Thornton (doesn't have anywhere near the hands, but plays a similar style).

He'll probably have a very long career and top out at 18-20 goals in a season.

A better comparison would be Ethan Moreau, with worse offense but better fighting ability.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Bernier has been a big dissapointment so far. He is huge (6-4) and has a wicked shot from the slot, but has yet to put it all together. Aggressivness and intensity need to come way up.

He's a power forward type, so hopefully the Canucks are smart enough to sign him and let him develop (hell if you let Justin Morrison take up space on the farm why not Bernier)

So even though I haven't seen Stortini play, he is better by default at this point if he has any NHL potential.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
O.T. said:
A better comparison would be Ethan Moreau, with worse offense but better fighting ability.

Not really in terms of how they play.

In terms of role certainly.

The way Stortini plays is very similar to Thornton, minus the hands. Moreau isn't really a guy who gets his offense from battling in the corners and in front of the net, whereas that is where Stortini gets most of his.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
sundaystar said:
why do you think that?

He has a lot of untapped potential.

He has an NHL shot...he is a big guy, if he learns to use his body more he will be much better in the pros. He has used his body in spurts this year and he looks like he is a level above everyone. Then he goes back into hibernation for a few shifts.

He has all the skills to be a good NHL player, it is a matter of putting it together.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I don't know much about Bernier, although I know of him, however I see Stortini on a regular basis, and would say he should make it to the professional game, although he won't be spectacular. He's arguably the OHL heavyweight right now, can hit and power his way to the net. He also doesn't mind taking abuse in front of the net on the powerplays. That said he doesn't have much to speak of in terms of offensive skills and most of his goals come from the doorstep while just muscling off the defensemen. He is a very intimidating player and is willing to take a beating in order to make a play. He's a good leader and shows a lot of grit, but I can't see his pro goal totals approaching 20, that would definitely be a career year. I think he'd be a good grinder/enforcer on the 3rd/4th line. I'd say the Oilers already have a lot of these types of players, such as Moreau and Laraque. I like the Moreau comparison as well as Hartnell/Cole/Wayne Primeau comparisons that I thought of off the top of my head.

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
dawgbone said:
Not really in terms of how they play.

In terms of role certainly.

The way Stortini plays is very similar to Thornton, minus the hands. Moreau isn't really a guy who gets his offense from battling in the corners and in front of the net, whereas that is where Stortini gets most of his.

Stortini will be thrust into the same type of role as Moreau is in right now. He, is all heart, and will go to battle for his teammates, thats what I was talking about. I can't comment on the Thornton comparison, as I have'nt really seen a ton of either Thornton or Stortini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad