Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Sign Adam Brooks to ELC

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
passed over twice! he is essentially a 18th round pick

his draft year was 2014 he is 5 days younger than william nylander

ah ok, now i get why we ain't going nuts over a kid that just racked up 250 points in his last 2 seasons.

so we either have a late bloomer or an overeager stat raping the CHL.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
ah ok, now i get why we ain't going nuts over a kid that just racked up 250 points in his last 2 seasons.

so we either have a late bloomer or an overeager stat raping the CHL.

oh dont get me wrong what he has done even as an overager is still fantastic, He is a legit prospect. I think he is a late bloomer but i still think he has a long way to go to the NHL

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Off the top of my head I can't think of NHL players that played the full 5 years of CHL and then went on to NHL success.

After being passed over 2 times in previous draft the Leafs took Brooks as a 20 year old who lead the WHL in scoring.

However he had already fulfilled his 4 years of CHL service and could have (like most) turned pro, but the Leafs sent him back to the WHL for his 5th year now as 21 year old and one of the oldest players in the league.

So despite putting up Marner like points the past 2 seasons, not sure what kind of pro career he will carve out for himself.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The "overager" argument against Brooks is sorta B.S, IMO

- There are younger players, that are much bigger, putting up nowhere close to the same numbers.
- There are other overagers, that are much bigger, putting up nowhere close to the same numbers.
- The stats he's put up, even as an overager, are insane, that have only been matched in the past decade by Connor McDavid, John Tavares, and someone else that escapes me

He's not putting up these numbers because he's a couple years older. He obviously has more experience, and that helps, but he's got so much skill and IQ. It's far above being older.

I'm super excited to see him on the Marlies to start proving himself. I also agree with those that say he could challenge for the 4C role. He's a responsible player, who has skill, and can win faceoffs. I think Babcock will love him.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

- There are younger players, that are much bigger, putting up nowhere close to the same numbers.
- There are other overagers, that are much bigger, putting up nowhere close to the same numbers.
- The stats he's put up, even as an overager, are insane, that have only been matched in the past decade by Connor McDavid, John Tavares, and someone else that escapes me

He's not putting up these numbers because he's a couple years older. He obviously has more experience, and that helps, but he's got so much skill and IQ. It's far above being older.

I'm super excited to see him on the Marlies to start proving himself. I also agree with those that say he could challenge for the 4C role. He's a responsible player, who has skill, and can win faceoffs. I think Babcock will love him.

He will be treated like all the other prospects who made the jumo to the marlies, bottom 6 mins and work on defensive side of the puck. It happened with Kapanen, Timashov and will happen with Brooks and Bracco etc its the way they do it. Could he rise up the lineup quickly? sure, but i sure hope we dont put a 21 yr old who has only ever player jnr in the NHL this seaosn

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
oh dont get me wrong what he has done even as an overager is still fantastic, He is a legit prospect. I think he is a late bloomer but i still think he has a long way to go to the NHL

oh,i think he is a legit prospect but now i get it.

if he had been a 2nd round pick in his 1rst eligible year and then racked up 250 points, this board would be in total melt down over him.

but skipped 2 drafts and played as a overager , i now understand the lack of heat.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
oh,i think he is a legit prospect but now i get it.

if he had been a 2nd round pick in his 1rst eligible year and then racked up 250 points, this board would be in total melt down over him.

but skipped 2 drafts and played as a overager , i now understand the lack of heat.

would you beleive during the height of TSN's trade Nylander narrative button said Brooks would make it easier to trade Nylander?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He is about the same level prospect as Dmytro Timashov.

About the same size only not as fast as Tima though, and unlike him the Leafs moved Dmytro to the AHL at age 20 and returned Brooks back to the WHL at 20, to work on his skating and try and get bigger and stronger.

So Nitro is a little bit further along in his development having 1 year of pro already under his belt.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I like brooks but i would avoid using his overage season stats to evaluate him. I would judge him on his 18 (meh) and 19yr old (good) stats.

but that's not a bad thing - his 19yr old stats track well alongside someone like, say, Kadri's.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He will be treated like all the other prospects who made the jumo to the marlies, bottom 6 mins and work on defensive side of the puck. It happened with Kapanen, Timashov and will happen with Brooks and Bracco etc its the way they do it. Could he rise up the lineup quickly? sure, but i sure hope we dont put a 21 yr old who has only ever player jnr in the NHL this seaosn

Oh, I think he's Marlies bound as well. But I think Babcock will fall in love with him in camp, and he'll probably see some NHL time next season if/when injuries happen.

However Brooks doesn't need much work on the defensive side of things. He's an incredibly responsible player. It's what makes him so exciting.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I like brooks but i would avoid using his overage season stats to evaluate him. I would judge him on his 18 (meh) and 19yr old (good) stats.

but that's not a bad thing - his 19yr old stats track well alongside someone like, say, Kadri's.

This is another good way to look at it.

However, the fact that he took another step forward this past season, does account for something, even if you don't put a whole lot of stock into it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
would you beleive during the height of TSN's trade Nylander narrative button said Brooks would make it easier to trade Nylander?

sorry but i don't listen to a word that buttons says anymore

not after his "anti leafs tanking crusade" and "leafs won't make the POs for years , because tanking ain't the way to go"

and his anti nylander stance was a serious joke.

i have 0 issue placing brooks in the "next brown" category

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He is about the same level prospect as Dmytro Timashov.

About the same size only not as fast as Tima though, and unlike him the Leafs moved Dmytro to the AHL at age 20 and returned Brooks back to the WHL at 20, to work on his skating and try and get bigger and stronger.

So Nitro is a little bit further along in his development having 1 year of pro already under his belt.

i'm not going to agree with the bolded

we know how the organisation likes to shelter it's Cs

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Did some research.

Adam Brooks 19 year old season (so not this past season, but 15-16) in the WHL ranks T-8th all-time. It ranks better than notable players like, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Eric Fehr, Jordan Weal, Linden Vey, Scott Gomez, Jordan Eberle, among others. He ranks close to Mark Stone. Though Stone has 3 more points, in 6 less games.

His 18 year old season was obviously less impressive, but compares to notables like Tyler Johnson, Matt Calvert, Jason Chimera.

His 20 year old season (this past season) ranked 3rd all-time. Other players to play in the WHL as 20 year olds are, Tyler Johnson, Troy Brouwer, Matt Calvert, Mark Parrish, Mike Comrie, and Ryan Craig.

Mowman

Jan 17, 2017
Did some research.

Adam Brooks 19 year old season (so not this past season, but 15-16) in the WHL ranks T-8th all-time. It ranks better than notable players like, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Eric Fehr, Jordan Weal, Linden Vey, Scott Gomez, Jordan Eberle, among others. He ranks close to Mark Stone. Though Stone has 3 more points, in 6 less games.

His 18 year old season was obviously less impressive, but compares to notables like Tyler Johnson, Matt Calvert, Jason Chimera.

His 20 year old season (this past season) ranked 3rd all-time. Other players to play in the WHL as 20 year olds are, Tyler Johnson, Troy Brouwer, Matt Calvert, Mark Parrish, Mike Comrie, and Ryan Craig.

Thanks for looking into that. I lived in Regina about a year ago and got to see Brooks play a lot. I'm not going to anoint him the next great Leafs prospect or anything, but he is a legit prospect that has a better than average chance IMO.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

True - being older doesn't necessarily mean you're going to put up large numbers of points.

Those point totals are impressive

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
True - being older doesn't necessarily mean you're going to put up large numbers of points.

Those point totals are impressive

But not uncommon either.

Fans should check out other top WHLers like

Tyler Wong http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=62109
Brayden Burke http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=101647

WHL Scoring Leaders
2016-17 : http://whl.ca/stats/players/257
2015-16 : http://whl.ca/stats/players/251

Similar sized smaller players that pile up big WHL points and somewhat in the same boat going undrafted and playing as overager in their 20's in the league.

So its hard to project pro careers based on junior stats of older WHLers +2 years against draft eligible kids.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Did some research.

So if he's a late-bloomer", he bloomed 1 year late. There's a lot of variation in kids that young when it comes to strength and physical maturity. Also, the task of balancing your school/sports/social-life can affect kids differently at such a young age. 1 year late? Not a huge warning sign IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->