Pre-Game Talk: Maple Leafs @ Islanders | Tomorrow at 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I think Marner just has a way better attitude and drive than Eichel and that will be the biggest difference going forward

I think Eichel would look a lot better had we drafted him. Marner is fantastic but I don't think there is GM in the league who would take Marner over Eichel is cost isn't a factor. That's not a slight on Marner either, just centers like Eichel are very hard to come by.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
With a little bit of luck our top 6 might have had both Matthews and McDavid, that would of been disgusting.
Probably would have taken a bit more than a little luck though. You throw McDavid onto that Matthews draft team and yeah they don't finish last. I suppose in terms of alternate histories maybe he boosts the team up to finishing where Winnipeg did and we get out of this with Nylander, McDavid, and Laine ;).

In the end though things really have gone pretty well for the Leafs. A great pickup with Nylander to start things off, then Marner being an awesome guy to be there when we picked, and then the lotto win for Matthews. You might be able to cobble together even more ideal results, but this was pretty darn good. Marner is hitting his best play at just about the perfect time, Matthews is back, and Nylander is producing. The top young guys are there and we've got production throughout the lineup.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think Eichel would look a lot better had we drafted him. Marner is fantastic but I don't think there is GM in the league who would take Marner over Eichel is cost isn't a factor. That's not a slight on Marner either, just centers like Eichel are very hard to come by.

You are right. Eichel is still a kid and any attitude problems should be correctable. His desire/pride to outshine Matthews last Saturday showed me something. He is trending up IMO.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
We need Komarov back ASAP.

He is just too important to the team when it comes to the PK. We've only been 91% in the 6 games that he's missed.

NOT GOOD ENUF

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Polak has been really good though. :)
Honestly for me - Komarov would sit unless AJ shows he couldn't handle the playoffs. but they were talking about this on the radio re: Holtby/Gruebouer? (however you spell his name). even though everything points that Gru is better you go with whom you trust first then if he sucks, you can go back to the better option vs. going with your yay option, and he struggles then you go with the guy you don't want.
Babcock is going to be thinking trustworthy + function come playoff time. He 110% trust Leo on the PK.
It does no good to play Tampa? even and give up 2-3 PP goals against.
Doesn't mean someone won't get in depending on how a series goes but he'll ride his horses.
A Tampa/Toronto series could easily be won/lost on special teams.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

So Komo is going in and the plan was to have him in tomorrow if he was ready. I wonder if they're going to cycle them in rotation till the end of the season or if they'll try to get Komo going.

If Komo can find his groove and get back to where he was last year I think he'd be quite fine on the 4th line with Plek and Kap.

I'd bet Johnnson will be back on the Marlies before April 5th.

McElhinney vs NYI and Andersen vs the jets makes sense right?

I'd honestly start McElhinney 2 of the last 3 games of the season assuming they've clinched 3rd in the division by Monday.
They don't seem to care who we play, Freddie will play game 1 and Mac game 2.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Probably would have taken a bit more than a little luck though. You throw McDavid onto that Matthews draft team and yeah they don't finish last. I suppose in terms of alternate histories maybe he boosts the team up to finishing where Winnipeg did and we get out of this with Nylander, McDavid, and Laine ;).

In the end though things really have gone pretty well for the Leafs. A great pickup with Nylander to start things off, then Marner being an awesome guy to be there when we picked, and then the lotto win for Matthews. You might be able to cobble together even more ideal results, but this was pretty darn good. Marner is hitting his best play at just about the perfect time, Matthews is back, and Nylander is producing. The top young guys are there and we've got production throughout the lineup.

Oh don't get me wrong Marner and Nylander are awesome, just watching Matthews and McDavid on team NA was something else. A full season of them on one team would be highlight reel gold.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i always say it
i don't know what this organization finally did to get a little luck and some breaks go our way but if I were to tell you five years ago we'd have an extremely elite centre, an extremely elite winger, an extremely elite hybrid and a stable goalie, a good defense, etc.. y'all would have called me a lying liar who lies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Babcock is going to be thinking trustworthy + function come playoff time. He 110% trust Leo on the PK.
It does no good to play Tampa? even and give up 2-3 PP goals against.
Doesn't mean someone won't get in depending on how a series goes but he'll ride his horses.
A Tampa/Toronto series could easily be won/lost on special teams.

i touched on this on my write up.
just need us to officially clinch and know who we are facing.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Am I wrong to say Johnsson has just been...okay?

I don't feel like he's run away with a spot. Much like Kap, he's probably going to have to yoyo a bit until we move some vets.

I think he's been great but I agree that they shouldn't be rushing him into a spot. If we look at how they've handled Kappy and Dermott and Borgman ( who is back in the AHL improving his overall game and will be a good option for going forward), how can you criticize?

The team is looking great heading into the playoffs and we have lots of young options going forward!

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
That's a bit weird. Islanders are a dirty team and I'd rather have grit against them and skill vs Winnipeg

Well, i think at this point you put people in uncomfortable situations rather than comfortable ones to see how they react and to help them improve. Are they able to overcome the situation, etc.

I don't mind it, and I think it is a part of the Babcock way of always challenging his players. I think we are at a point in the season where the win doesn't matter as much as having the players ready for the playoffs.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think he wants to keep Komarov ready, but might as well keep running with the hot hand. In a good position and allows Komarov to be as close to 100% as possible for when he comes back in. Might as well let Johnsson play, he's been doing great. Gives him experience and lets Babcock see what he can do.

Hopefully we get another good game. Be really fun to break 100 points. Just from a personal satisfaction point of view :).

If Babs has decided that Komarov will be playing playoffs then I'd rather Leo get games and get game ready before the playoffs

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
You are right. Eichel is still a kid and any attitude problems should be correctable. His desire/pride to outshine Matthews last Saturday showed me something. He is trending up IMO.

more like opportunistic goals. He barely generated anything. Almost anything he touched went in.

Luck has a big impact on hockey.

Matthews line generated way more chances + matthews hit the post

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
i always say it
i don't know what this organization finally did to get a little luck and some breaks go our way but if I were to tell you five years ago we'd have an extremely elite centre, an extremely elite winger, an extremely elite hybrid and a stable goalie, a good defense, etc.. y'all would have called me a lying liar who lies.
Yeah would probably just presume you meant the amount of elite guys we passed off to other teams. No one would believe where we currently are in terms of standings or roster. Especially not back then. Those were dark days where it didn't seem like the team would ever figure it out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good chance for the Leafs to audition for Tavares, to show him how competitive the Leafs are in hopes he likes what he sees should he become a UFA this summer.

Isles are my Brother's favourite team so its always a fun family rivalry when these 2 teams meet.

Reactions: Macallan18

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
with a point we clinch a playoff spot and with a win we clinch 3rd in the division

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad