Sportsnet: Maple Leafs grooming D.J. Smith to become an NHL head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Is that a systems failure or bad luck? I'm inclined to take the bigger sample.
I would say systems failure because hainsey was worn out at the end of the season and Babcock isn't known for good decisions.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I would say systems failure because hainsey was worn out at the end of the season and Babcock isn't known for good decisions.
You talk as if we're a bottom 5 team. Are you in another world or time period? Your posting history would make a lot more sense if that was the case.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You talk as if we're a bottom 5 team. Are you in another world or time period? Your posting history would make a lot more sense if that was the case.
I don't talk as if we are a bottom 5 team. I bring reality where others are blinded to it.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Hainsey played fine until he was injured. He did not look the same since he came back, I'm not sure how that's on Babcock.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Hainsey played fine until he was injured. He did not look the same since he came back, I'm not sure how that's on Babcock.
If he's injured, limit his ice time so he isn't overworked and potentially re aggregated that injury. Babcock could have also realized hainsey's a 38 year old veteran defender who is on his last legs and shouldn't be playing too much.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
If he's injured, limit his ice time so he isn't overworked and potentially re aggregated that injury. Babcock could have also realized hainsey's a 38 year old veteran defender who is on his last legs and shouldn't be playing too much.

Or he's trying to get him some ice time to shake the rust off.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I don't talk as if we are a bottom 5 team. I bring reality where others are blinded to it.
You're so far deep down the rabbit hole I'm not sure you know what reality is anymore. The only thing you're bringing is cynicism which I'm sorry but that job is taken already.

Reactions: stickty111

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You're so far deep down the rabbit hole I'm not sure you know what reality is anymore. The only thing you're bringing is cynicism which I'm sorry but that job is taken already.
No I'm really not. You and other leafs are just blinded by how meh this team really is.

Another thing, by who is that job taken by?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
No I'm really not. You and other leafs are just blinded by how meh this team really is.

P.S. By who is that job taken by?

You're calling me blind but you don't know my stance on things, not unexpected but still worrying.

Always taking the pessimistic approach doesn't mean you're smarter than everyone else. We've seen this all too often.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Another thing, by who is that job taken by?

Yes you really are. You and other Leafs haters are just blinded by how great this team really is.

So much for the Bruins being better like you said.. They were embarrassed by the Lighting in 5 games. They are a below average team.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You're calling me blind but you don't know my stance on things, not unexpected but still worrying.

Always taking the pessimistic approach doesn't mean you're smarter than everyone else. We've seen this all too often.

He is angry Bruins fan that has trouble accepting that the Leafs are really good.

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'm not sure it's necessarily a systems failure, like his garbage transition system or 5v5 coverage. I think our aggressive PK is pretty effective for the most part. I do think it was a gross misuse of personnel, as Hainsey was clearly driven into the ground over the season and had nothing left down the stretch + in the playoffs. That did sort of make our PK fall apart, given how relied upon he was

Agreed. The aggressive PK often results with us forcing a turnover on the halfboards when we quickly out-number the puck carrier.

Idk if the stretch passing is on him or Babcock, but that's the real issue. The only defensemen we have that can clear the zone by skating or passing are all on the left side. And who do they usually clear it to? LW's like Hyman, Marleau, JVR and Martin. Y'know, the guys who can't complete a zone entry, so they dump it in and try -and fail- to retrieve it themselves. Wash, rinse, repeat.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Yes you really are. You and other Leafs haters are just blinded by how great this team really is.

So much for the Bruins being better like you said.. They were embarrassed by the Lighting in 5 games. They are a below average team.
If they are a below average team, what does that make us?

They are not a below average team whatsoever. They are much better than us. It was evident form the series. They should have won in 5 but they didn't and they did the job in 7.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think the issue is, some of these younger guys like him or maybe even Dermott should be given more of a chance to play on the PK. The problem was the Leafs kept turning back again and again to some of these vets who really were not delivering good results
Is that really a Leafs specific issue, seems most teams defer to vets in key situations. I suspect Dermott gets a ton more responsibility next year. I'd argue for all this talk about Babs and vets, the reality is we had a very young core coming into this season, and by the end of it three more were added, Dermott, Kap and Johnsson. What more do we want really? They're all stubborn coaches,, but the bottomline is a ton of kids have usurped vets and we're letting a few more walk this year.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If they are a below average team, what does that make us?

They are not a below average team whatsoever. They are much better than us. It was evident form the series. They should have won in 5 but they didn't and they did the job in 7.
They weren't much better, they were much more experienced.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Overall, the PK was decent in the Boston series after an awful start.

It was one of the key factors in getting the Leafs back into the series after a crazy imbalance in penalty calls.

It sometimes feels like everyone seemed to watch a different series.

Reactions: Liminality

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Overall, the PK was decent in the Boston series after an awful start.

It was one of the key factors in getting the Leafs back into the series after a crazy imbalance in penalty calls.

It sometimes feels like everyone seemed to watch a different series.
overall, the PK was dreadful. 2nd worst in the playoffs in GA/60 and 4th worst in xGA/60. to be fair, a lot of the blame goes to Andersen as well. he blew it

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
overall, the PK was dreadful. 2nd worst in the playoffs in GA/60 and 4th worst in xGA/60. to be fair, a lot of the blame goes to Andersen as well. he blew it

Yea, Anderson (with his sub .80 save %) and Hainsey (most goals against scored while on the ice for all PKers) were the weak spots on the PK.

It's the first two games that skew the sample though.

The Leafs gave up 5 pp goals in the first two games and then only 2 the rest of the series. That long 5 on 3 kill in game 5 was epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad